Have you ever discovered a hidden gem of a game?

Eric the Orange

Gone Gonzo
Apr 29, 2008
kortin said:
Golden Sun.
Golden Sun: The Lost Age.
Golden Sun: Dark Dawn.

Absolutely amazing games, I love them so much.
Maybe the first two as they are more cult classics, but the third one was featured in Nintendos E3 conference so i can't really call it "hidden".

WendelI

Jan 7, 2009
Well Nano assault is a pretty obscure game i got for my 3ds when it was on sale at gamestop.I was like, "I only got 20 bucks". the guy at the store was like " you want a 20 dollar game for the new 3ds console? here!" and he passed me the box, it seemed like a pretty harmless tittle i mean how bad can you do a shmup? But damn was I wrong, The game is amazing, the visuals are stutting even better when the 3d is truned on. The gyro-controlled camera (that can be turned on and off) is dizzying in a good way.I enjoyed every second of it and im still not even done with the game. the only problem with it, no multiplayer. all you do with the internet capabilities of the 3ds on this game is check online scoreboards.

but heck if you have a 3ds, give it some day a try, it wont cost ya much and you will be glad you did.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
I guess my would be Metal Arms for the Gamecube. Ok I did read one review saying it was a hard but good game but I didn't buiy it straight away. I eventually found a pre owned copy for only £15 so I bought without a second thought and I did enjoy playing it.

Apollo45

Jan 30, 2011
The Madman said:
Picked up NOX the other day when I saw it on sale from gog.com, remember it from when the game out as a friend owned it but I was never able to enjoy more that a few tastes as it wouldn't run on my old computer at the time.

Anyway picked it up and started playing it just recently and I'll be damned, it's actually really damned good. How'd a hack & slash of this calibur made by Westwood of all companies become so quickly forgotten? It's fantastic.
I was always a big Westwood fan, so when this came out I picked it up immediately. I had a shitton of fun playing through the single player, but, surprisingly enough, it was the multiplayer that I thought was really fun. Running around blowing other people to smithereens with magic, or swords, or fucking conjured golems was a blast. I'm sad they didn't get to do more of that sort of thing before EA shut them down... bastards.

Other than that, I found that Port Royale was extremely fun. It's a pirate game, although it's more than that. You start out with a single ship, but can make money through trading, fighting, or doing odd jobs. As you make more money, you can purchase more ships. Through combat you can commandeer others, and all the while you can build up reputation in various towns and cities around the Caribbean, build up a manufacturing/production empire, and make more money that way. All the while there's a "main quest" where you're searching for your father or something, but I almost completely ignored that. Quite a fun little game, and rather addictive.

Earth 2150 and its expansion gave me quite a bit of fun during their time. Not your classic RTS game, but there's a lot about it that's fun and unique. You can customize your units to have certain weapons or armor on them, but the most interesting thing I found is that, at the end of a mission, you spend time to take your units and money back to your main base, where they can then be re-deployed on the next mission, or saved for another one.

Um... I've always thought Homeworld is never talked about enough. I seriously think it's the best RTS game ever made, and I know that a lot of those who have played it would agree with me. Excellent story, good gameplay, and tons of fun. Lots of replay value too, since your first time through is always ridiculously hard as you figure out the ins and outs of the system. At this point I can end the game with well over 100 Ion Cannon frigates, which will fuck just about everything up.

Oh, and to toss in an MMO, Earth and Beyond holds a special place in my heart. It was extremely fun, and had the potential to be amazing. If it weren't for EA it would have been, but, once again, they decided to come in and shut Westwood down, then proceeded to shut E&B down without giving it a chance. It wouldn't have ever gotten the player base of WoW without a lot of changes - near the end things could get boring if you didn't have a good group to play with - but it was still rather spectacular. If you're interested, a group of players have got a free version running, although it's limited to 200ish players at a time. It can be buggy, but it's still a fun thing to check out if you're out of other games to play.

Vie

Nov 18, 2009
Tachyon: The Fringe.

Its even on steam these days for a fiver so worth picking up if you fancy some good old fashioned space piloting fun. Even has a semi decent, if rather simple, story.

And the ceiling of the Sistine Chapple: IN SPACE!

Arqus_Zed

Aug 12, 2009
Bombastic, on the PlayStation 2.

A gem of a puzzle game, sporting unique graphics and a simple, yet clever gameplay mechanic where dice were used as a puzzle element. It was the third in the Devil Dice series, if I'm not mistaking, where from only one previous title had made it to Western audiences.

The most awesome part of the game was still its multiplayer, one of the few games I know where you could actually battle with five players at once!

finiii

Ocelot
Feb 2, 2010
Terra Nova: Strike Force Centauri

One of the first squad based FPS games, in a sci-fi setting.
It got pretty good reviews, but didn't sell well enough to cover development costs.
I remember playing the demo, and looking for it everywhere for well over a year until I finally got my hands on it. And even after that it lived up to my expectations.

Andaxay

Thinking with Portals
Jun 4, 2008
kortin said:
Golden Sun.
Golden Sun: The Lost Age.
Golden Sun: Dark Dawn.

Absolutely amazing games, I love them so much.
Oh, god, me too. I continually have obsessive periods of playing them over and over again.

There was a game yeeears ago for PC called The Incredible Machine. It was a brilliant puzzle game, and really challenging as it went on. I think it's still get-able using DOSBox and it's well worth a look.

Berenzen

Jul 9, 2011
Wheel of Time for PC. Found out about online, and couldn't find a Digital Download copy anywhere, torrented it, played it and said- hey this is pretty damn fun, even has a fairly good difficulty level. 3 days later I found out a friend had it, so I got the CD copy of it, which actually had the cutscenes.

Anyways, I recommend taking a look at it, it really was outshined by Quake and Unreal, being released in 1999. It's a great little fps that uses the Unreal 1 engine.

fnlrpa

Dec 14, 2010
GrandmaFunk said:
Mount&Blade:Warband

it's not completely unknown but I get the feeling that so many more ppl would really get into it if they tried it out.
I actually found that on sale on steam and bought it. put 200 hours into it

Volstag9

Apr 28, 2008
Swyftstar said:
I bought Sacred 2 used for about 15 bucks as something to pass the time with while waiting for big releases. Next thing I know, all my friends had it and we were playing precious little else for months.
The exact same thing happened to me and my friends... Just shows that Sacred 2 is pretty awesome!

Dragonforce525

Sep 13, 2009
Dynasty Warriors 2, ok the Dynasty Warriors franchise may not be "unheard of" but it was to me and I love how I came across it, my mum owned a video rental shop and had a small rack of shitty PS2 games, and when I say shitty I mean shitty, you wouldn't find God of War, GTA 3, or any high ranking game, no we're talking the cheapest games she could possibly rent out, mainly movie/tv show tie in games, so anyway each night before the shop closed we would be allowed to take a movie home to watch and bring it back the next day when the shop opened, now I think we've all been in that situation where you're being told to choose something on the spot and your mind just completely blanks out and you can't make a decision, well as I literally couldn't decide on a movie I decided to pick a crappy game just for shits and giggles and I picked the only one that didn't look like it was for toddlers, I popped it in my PS2 and was fucking hooked, I still have that game which I basically stole and have bought every single Dynasty Warriors game since.

floppylobster

Oct 22, 2008
Eric the Orange said:
I recently got a game called "Glory of Heracles", which I had never heard of before and I was pleasantly surprised as it was pretty damn good. So my question to all of you is have you ever found a hidden gem of a game? and how did you come upon it and how did you like it.
Well recently there was 'Glory of Heracles'... and if you liked that try 'Locke's Quest'. And if you're into RPG's, try Landstalker on Megadrive/Genesis.

crazyfoxdemon said:
Mischief Makers for the N64.. I don't think many people played it.. But I absolutely loved it.
From the makers of 'Guardian Heroes' and 'Gunstar Heroes', shake shake! Love it.

Xiado said:
An old Genesis game called Gain Ground. It's unlike anything I've played before, and requires a really interesting mix of strategy and skill. The music gets stuck in my head from time to time, too.
Good game, try Locke's Quest on DS, it's not the same but it's also very good.

Marcus Kehoe said:
Battle-stations Pacific, a good rts mixed with a good plane/ship fighter made a really great online game.
Great game, Battlestations: Midway is great too, mainly because they just don't make games that hard anymore.

'Little King's Story' on Wii is another gem that has remained all too hidden.

Austin Howe

Dec 5, 2010
Terranigma for the Super Nintendo (It's the best game on the system.)
Resonance of Fate for PS3 and Xbox 360.

Both are games with incredible gameplay, top of the line graphics for their systems, great music that manages to be uniqe, and are surprisingly well-written.*

* For two reasons. Terranigma because you don't expect a game that starts the way that one does to end up making you ask questions about determinism and cry. RoF because it's one of the few JRPGs that is genuinely motherfucking hillarious and also it comes from Tri-Ace, who have a long history of awful voice acting and writing that they break here. (Valkyrie Profile excluded on the writing front.)

Infernai

Apr 14, 2009
Aside from Drakengard. There was always this hidden little Gem from the Playstation 1:

I mean seriously....you could rip your own arm off and beat people to death with it, how did this game NOT gain a downright huge fan following!? That will forever be a mystery to me...

JasonBurnout16

Oct 12, 2009
Singularity on Xbox 360. I rented it for a week one time, looking for a game just to waste some time on. The game is great, really good refined gameplay and the story is also really interesting.

I bet the multiplayer is dead now though.

If you haven't played it, go out and pick it up though! It's probably real cheap now.

piplink

Mar 11, 2011
Aside from Drakengard. There was always this hidden little Gem from the Playstation 1:

snip

I mean seriously....you could rip your own arm off and beat people to death with it, how did this game NOT gain a downright huge fan following!? That will forever be a mystery to me...
i loved the 2nd one SOOO much, but i only had the demo of the 1st level. and i got the 1st on the psn. played it to death. also when i was a kid, the zombies always scared me, dont know why.

Dragoon

Jan 19, 2010
For me it was Samurai Warriors 2 on PS2, this was long ago before I knew about the whole Dynasty Warriors franchise, it blew my 12 year old mind!