Have you ever "got" the girl/guy?

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
never been able to. im considered "too ugly to date" to women. either way something needs to be done about it. and it the type of women you see at gamestop and hot topic and stuff, not these shallow whores who wish to be on the jersey shore

johnman

Oct 14, 2008
Stasisesque said:
I've always ended up with the object of my affections... that's generally how dating and relationships work. Isn't it? I'm confused.
You have to remeber most of the Escapists userbase are massive nerds

Ritter315

Jan 10, 2010
I've done the fight for your girl thing. Even set up a pact with my friends to get the girls of our dreams. So I've probably had a more..classic/cartoony movie whatever you want to call it experience than most. I've done that twice, fight for the girl of your dreams and nothing really that great came of it. Anyone read the Great Gatsby, because it ended like that, me realizing that what i thought about the girl of my dreams was better than the reality.
My current girlfriend of what two years or so I started dating essentially by accident and its been going great ever since. I dont know how.

Basically, its kind of better if your not looking for it and let the relationship fall into your lap is the best way. For me anyways.

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
MrFluffy-X said:
SO have you ever had a happy ending and worked your ass off to get the girl or guy you had a crush on?
Yes... and in the end it was a complete waste of time and effort. Time and effort I could have spent more productively, like stabbing forks into my eyes.

DasDestroyer

Apr 3, 2010
Yep, after a few months of trying, including some amount of effort at long distance, we started dating, but it only lasted for 2 weeks, it just didn't work out.

SckizoBoy

Ineptly Chaotic
Legacy
Jan 6, 2011
A Hermit's Cave
ReservoirAngel said:
Don't apologise. I consider it a compliment. Just picture a slim, slightly feminine blonde guy slowly licking the melting ice cream off the side of a lolly stick ;)

Plus this isn't new for me to hear. I've been known to have a limited effect on certain straight guys when I try this stuff. Never enough for them to want to shag me, but enough to get a "dude, that was hot" from one or two of them.
Well played in that case... excuse me for a sec... I'm getting very piercing blue eyes atm!!

Anyway, from that (the post, not blue eyes thing), I can see where the demure look can get you far! I'm not entirely straight, so a 'dude, that was hot' might not be the extent of my reaction... uh, I'll leave now...

ReservoirAngel

Nov 6, 2010
SckizoBoy said:
Anyway, from that (the post, not blue eyes thing), I can see where the demure look can get you far! I'm not entirely straight, so a 'dude, that was hot' might not be the extent of my reaction... uh, I'll leave now...
And if I wasn't in a relationship, that extended reaction might be welcomed rather willingly, with you learning that ice creams aren't the only thing I can use my tongue on with skill ;)

[sub]And now I'm just teasing you (or trying to) for giggles. I'm kind of a dick like that.[/sub]

SckizoBoy

Ineptly Chaotic
Legacy
Jan 6, 2011
A Hermit's Cave
ReservoirAngel said:
And if I wasn't in a relationship, that extended reaction might be welcomed rather willingly, with you learning that ice creams aren't the only thing I can use my tongue on with skill ;)

[sub]And now I'm just teasing you (or trying to) for giggles. I'm kind of a dick like that.[/sub]
In that case, were it by some miracle that we meet in RL, you're bf should watch out, and I'm sure your oral appendage is very dextrous! XD

And I actually don't mind, I'm quite amused, in fact.

Better stop before we get done for excessive flirting. Oh you!

ReservoirAngel

Nov 6, 2010
SckizoBoy said:
ReservoirAngel said:

In that case, were it by some miracle that we meet in RL, you're bf should watch out, and I'm sure your oral appendage is very dextrous! XD

And I actually don't mind, I'm quite amused, in fact.

Better stop before we get done for excessive flirting. Oh you!
It sure is. It's been the topic of many a panted compliment :)

And yeah, this should probably stop. Might have gotten a bit carried away here...

Sep 14, 2009
"working" for someone hardly ever works, this isn't some sappy romance movie, that shit doesn't work in real life, if you don't like each other, or she doesn't like you off the bat, there is hardly anything you can do about it but just be friends and forget about it, the more you work at it the more you seem like a desperate overly aggressive creep, my friends try this crap all the time and the last time they had a girlfriend was like two years ago while i do nothing and have possible girlfriends all the damn time.

Dr Snakeman

Apr 2, 2010
No. I've come to consider myself "chronically single". Real life rarely emulates fiction in the area of romance, sadly enough. Which is strange, considering how often other fiction tropes pop up in the real world.

dfphetteplace

Nov 29, 2009
I used to work in a grocery store and was there for about 7 years. I would spend a lot of my time checking out the good looking girls that would come in. There was one girl that came in that I thought was absolutely beautiful. She was a small, kind of nerdy looking girl with an athletic build. I knew she was the younger sister of a girl I had gone to school with, but other then that, I didn't know much about her. Like the OP, I was too shy to ever say anything to her.

So over about 5 years I watched her come in the store and never said anything to her. It just so happened that I became a volunteer firefighter and had to cute my long hair off for it. The next time she came in she asked me why I cut my hair and that got us talking.

Right at this moment I'm holding out 3 year old son. We fell in love, she moved into my house, we got married, and had a wonderful son together. Yeah, I got the girl.

TheAceTheOne

Jul 27, 2010
I have. Somehow. I'm not really a popular guy, and this gal is absolutely beautiful.

Also, did I mention, we're usually like, states apart. She's in Texas (Where I am now, staying with my grandpa), and I'm in Illinois. Through the amazing powers of the internet, she ended up liking little ol' me.

Now, here's the story. It might be long.

Six years ago, we met. *sigh* Good times. Well, the day I met her (online, actually), I stayed up all night pacing around my room, hoping to see her the next day. I was 11 at the time. Sounds lame, I know, but stick with me now.

The week after that, I told her I liked her. She admitted she felt the same but was too nervous to say it. A year passed, with us happily in a long-distance relationship at the ages of 11 and 12.

This is where things get kind of sad. We lost contact. My parents got all uppity that I was talking to a girl online. Who happened to be living in Colorado. While I lived in Missouri. Sure, it's maybe justifiable, but still...

So, instead of bailing on me like any regular 13 year old girl, she waits faithfully for five years, doesn't go with anyone else. Now, the next part, I'd like you all who are reading to keep in mind that I didn't know she hadn't moved on.

A couple years ago, before my girlfriend (the amazing one who I'm with, who I lost contact with for like 5 years) and I regained contact, I went out with a girl who hurt me very badly. Different girl. She cheated on me with two guys. At once. And might have gotten preggers. Fun fun.

The summer after my (now ex-) revealed she cheated on me, this girl, Kristen, the one who waited years for me, calls me. And yes, I got weak in the knees, almost fell over. The day after Kristen called me, we were back together, and we remain so. She's really a great girl.

Hope that story made sense. :D

I've seen Kristen in real life twice (we're probably going to see each other more by the end of the month), been talking to her and texting her and videochatting and skyping with her. I don't know if my story counts to you all as "beating the odds" or whatever, but to me, it does.

OmniscientOstrich

Jan 6, 2011
ReservoirAngel said:
If by "work your arse off" you mean "act innocent yet seductive until said crush asks you out" then yes. Yes I have.
-_- Lucky bastard. I've never had it nearly that easy, though the only occassion where I can say I was at all diligent in pursuing a crush was when I was 15 being the stereotypical 'nice guy', the shoulder to cry on and all that. Natrually, this went to shit and she started going out with an obnoxious asshole (no really, I hated him long before she went out with him). So rather than do the sitcom thing, which is get all jealous, obssessive and vindictive until she hated me, I just grit my teeth and smiled through it all even trying to fool myself into thinking I was happy for her. Over the next couple of years, my interest in her faded, we didn't really talk too much or have the same connection and we just kind of drifted apart. Oh well, back to the drawing board and all that. Although, currently I really ought to work on seeing someone as I haven't in over year and need something to take my mind off the crush I have on my straight male friend. Long story short, I'm an idiot. /TMI rant over.

Mj0ln1r

Feb 27, 2010
Baradiel said:
... "Feel the same way, but don't want to ruin our friendship, and uni would make it complicated."...
Can someone explain to me te logic behind that? I always thought that true relationship is an "upgrade" not a "downgrade" of friendship!

Jubbert

Apr 3, 2010
This girl had a crush on me for a while, but I didn't see it because I'm oblivious to 90 percent of everything that happens ever. This last year I took a fancy to her as well, and over Skype this summer we pretty much admitted our feelings toward each other and now we're going out.

Woot!

ShadowDude112

Mar 9, 2009
Well, my story is really long and goes into a lot of things. I tried to get the girl twice. Both times, I failed. I could write a REALLY long post on both, but, if you're super curious, just PM me and I'll tell you. I won't say it here because I feel if I write something really long, people are just going to ignore it. So, yeah. I didn't get the girl both times. Whatever, I got over it.

IcyEvils

Sep 9, 2009
dfphetteplace said:
I used to work in a grocery store and was there for about 7 years. I would spend a lot of my time checking out the good looking girls that would come in. There was one girl that came in that I thought was absolutely beautiful. She was a small, kind of nerdy looking girl with an athletic build. I knew she was the younger sister of a girl I had gone to school with, but other then that, I didn't know much about her. Like the OP, I was too shy to ever say anything to her.

So over about 5 years I watched her come in the store and never said anything to her. It just so happened that I became a volunteer firefighter and had to cute my long hair off for it. The next time she came in she asked me why I cut my hair and that got us talking.

Right at this moment I'm holding out 3 year old son. We fell in love, she moved into my house, we got married, and had a wonderful son together. Yeah, I got the girl.
That... brought a tear to my eye. I'm really happy for you!