Have you ever gotten a game into an unwinnable/unfinishable state?

CRRPGMykael

Mar 6, 2011
Mafia- The City of Lost Heaven.
Basically, I completed a mission with 1HP left and the next one didn't refill it, so there was no way to get through.

The glitches of The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion must count for something too, but I can't remember anything in particular.

TheKmanofAwesometon

Jan 30, 2011
Neverwinter Nights as my Sorcerer, got to the 2nd to last room with the two dragons, both of which had too high of a spell resistance for me to hurt, thus making the game unbeatable, that was a fantastic way to lose 40 hours of gameplay.

unoleian

Jul 2, 2008
Did it just the other night, with my first hardcore New Vegas character. Thought I was equipped well enough to put that bastard Legate out of his misery and finish the hardcore once and for all. Play all the way through to the Legate's camp. Battle through to the top and save just before triggering the conversation with the Legate.

Turns out, I'm horribly under-equipped to take him on, and five times in a row he and his cronies wipe me out after I exhaust my ammo and health items. Decide to back up to the save before starting the final mission, and......discover I'd saved RIGHT over it in my haste to save my progress into the Legate's camp. Near as I can tell, it's gonna be damn near mathematically impossible to beat this section as I am right now.

Next nearest save is three or so hours back. Yeah. Pretty mad at myself right now.

Iffat Nur

Aug 13, 2010
Yes. I saved in Far Cry 2 near a moving truck as it was destroyed. Every time I loaded it, the truck would kill me.

akkronym

Dec 4, 2010
Prince of Persia Rival Swords.

Somehow got myself into a checkpoint with no sand one room before a final boss fight that required the use of my sand of time abilities. Fail.

SenseOfTumour

Jul 11, 2008
Baldurs Gate, the Xbox version, that's essentially Diablo for consoles.

Me and my friend played thru the entire thing.

Only to find out the final boss is unbeatable without... a shield. Any shield, but I was casting and he was going 2 handers all the way.

We pretty much had to run back thru the entire game to the start, buy a level 1 'battered wooden buckler' or something for +1 defence, and then all the way back to fight the end boss, now being able to block her attacks.

Honestly, if you make a certain item essential, don't let us throw it away, and supply us with one.

CJSinc

May 1, 2011
The LOTR's game The Hobbit Original (and the best) Xbox, Get the swamp where there are necromancers GODAMN EVERYWHERE! Basically they never stop chasing you and unless its 1 on 1 combat you get owned, in short, just run past em, I was down to 3 hit points, save quickly thinking its over, walk through a opening, oh what's that? It locked behind me :I
Suddenly a wild necromancer and minions appears.
Long story short, I wasn't pro enough to kill a necromancer and his infinite waves of minions he spawns till he dies with 3 hit points, I restarted and I managed to do it with 5 on my second try :I

AtheistAndProud

Apr 25, 2010
My brother released every Pokémon I had on White, sold all my Pokéballs, and spent of all my money on items he then tossed, so I couldn't buy Pokéballs to catch more.
All he left me was one Luvdisc. Level 1. I think he hacked it from his Black, because it seems to be made of damp cardboard.
It dies if a foe so much as looks at it funny, and is too slow to run from wild Pokémon.
I'm trapped in Opelucid City, perpetually whiting out as I try to run back to route 1 so I can level up without dying so I can win a trainer battle so I can get a small amount of money so I can buy a Pokéball so I can catch a less-terrible Pokémon so I can beat the game.

TheSchaef

Feb 1, 2008
I frakked up the ending of Star Trek: A Final Unity somehow. To this day, still don't know how I did it, but I got the game into a state where my characters could not discover the coordinates of the final destination to warp to, going there directly yielded no results, and I had no save game to go back and fix it. Fail.

Uzbekistan

Dec 17, 2009
I once hacked pokemon pearl to get the poketech before I got to the city where you get it. I get the cupons and talk to the guy only to have the game freeze up on me. Eventually I had to hack it again to walk through stuff and got the second badge before the first (I had to get the bike which meant getting and being able to use cut to get into the Galatic headquarters to get the bike guy from there.)

FoolKiller

Feb 8, 2008
canadamus_prime said:
Yeah, Final Fantasy VIII. Ended up in some sort of tower chasing after damsel in distress, unbeknownst to me, once past a certain point in the tower, you can't go back and at the end is a massive boss fight that involves the boss having partially absorbed afor mentioned damsel in distress and keeps draining her for health and if you do area of effect attacks you'll hit her as well, which happened to also be the basis of my play strategy so my regular attacks were piss weak. Oh did I mention this boss liked to spam really powerful attack spells that did massive damage to my entire party? No? Well it does that too. So yeah, I can't get out of this tower, the last save point used was beyond the point of no return, so I can't leave to seek better weapons or anything, and I have no earlier save to go back to. So I finally got fed up with it and said "fuck this!"

EDIT: Oh yeah, I forgot to mention if the damsel dies during the boss fight it's instant game over.
Wow. That was written better than I ever could have. Its at the beginning of disc 4 no less. I fucking hated that game because that was 57 hours down the drain.

One that a friend of mine suffered was Ninja Gaiden on Xbox. There is a hidden time limit near the end of the game that triggers while trying to climb out of a hole. You have a certain amount of time to get out. He fell back down to the bottom when he was near the top and decided to save. After his save, he basically had about 5 seconds to escape. Needless to say it was his only save file. He had to start all over again. :(

mynameisphil

Nov 1, 2010
I can think of three games.

In Final Fantasy X there was a boss that had multiple parts that all had their own hit points. I would get close and then one of the parts would heal the others.

In Resident Evil 4 I bought the rocket launcher to kill El Gigante. And then I got to the part on the lifts and had almost no money to buy ammo and almost no weapons.

And then there was the fiasco that was my experience with The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess. I love that game, and was very much enjoying my experience. And then I got to the cannon room. If you saved in the cannon room before this one guy came into the room you couldn't ever talk to him and in order to leave the room you had to talk to the guy. It ruined one of the best gaming experiences of my life.

CrystalShadow

don't upset the insane catgirl
Apr 11, 2009
Yes. Most recently was in a game called 'the void', where I ran out of colour and didn't have any hope of getting any more in the time before it'd cause game over.

Then again, that game is insanely difficult in the early stages, and you have to be really, really, careful to conserve resources.

Aside from that, I've done this in pretty much every on of Sierra's adventure games until they actually changed the way they made their games.

(Kings quest 1-6, space quest 1-5 and so on ALL have bits where you can miss an item (or use it up) with no way to go back to get a replacement, meaning you're stuck permanently and have to restart from the beginning, or if you're lucky, a save far enough back in time to get the thing you need. - Yeah... It was a really sucky piece of game design that they only stopped doing with the last few games they made before ceasing to exist.)

Drakmorg

Local Cat
Aug 15, 2008
Dragon Age Origins.
My first time playing I end up completely gimping my entire team that eventually it got to the point that just standard fights were far too difficult.

rawrmonsta

May 25, 2010
SonOfVoorhees said:
Blue Dragon final boss. Couldnt leave area and didnt have another save before the boss encounter to level up more. That boss kicked my ass continuously.
This

Isan

Aug 13, 2008
I managed to fuck over Oblivion quite nicely (from reading the thread it seems to be a regular for this sort of thing)
In my case it was, like everyone else, because I was dumb enough to make a thief.

20 hours later I'm in a world populated by monsters that I cannot kill, and quests that I cannot finish because I've killed and stolen every item and NPC of importance in the game... seriously - I got so sick of being sent to collect some magical McGuffin only to find that 9 hours earlier I'd stolen the damn thing and promptly... I dunno, thrown it in a ditch somewhere to make inventory space for some useless hunk of crap no doubt.

And hitman silent assassin, first mission.
Step 1) Kill some dude
Step 2) Take his key
Step 3) Open basement door
Step 4) ???
Step 5) Win Level.

I never got past step 2... HE NEVER HAD A FUCKING KEY! 4 times played, 4 times no key...
I killed everyone on the map, I searched every room, every nook and cranny... I checked guides, walkthroughs, videos... guess mine was bugged.
:*(

Eufloria as well... give the AI an inch and it'll fall over and die. Give it an hour and all the space it needs and it'll wind up stalemating you on some stupid rock with 5million seeds on it.