Have you ever gotten a game into an unwinnable/unfinishable state?

VeLoCiTy562

Feb 16, 2011
Final Fantasy XIII.

After playing the game for god knows how long I eventually got up to chapter the chapter where you're on Gran Pulse. Throughout the entire game my party consisted of:

1)Lightning. She was a god-like commando and could kept the stagger bar in place for massive amounts of time.

2)Snow. This guy was a walking fortress when I put him into sentinel mode and pretty decent as a ravager and commando as well.

3)Hope. As much as I hated him he was the best ravager and medic.

Then when I was walking through Gran Pulse just going the way that I was supposed to suddenly I get a cut-scene and Hecatoncheir decides to show up. I thought oh well finally there's a new summon, and it turns out to be Vanille's, so I thought "OK, can't be to bad."

As soon as the battle starts I get stuck with Fang and Vanille, ONLY. Then I thought to myself, " I'll just do whatever its weakness is and get this over with."

Damn was that a mistake. Fang is absolute trash when it came to this fight, even in sentinel mode she got her ass kicked. Vanille was a pathetic healer and ravager and it was ridiculously hard to keep choosing attacks for both characters, so I decided to finally let auto-attack do the work for me.

A few second later I had hardly hurt Hecatoncheir and Vanille and Fang were dead. Around 5 more tries and I give up, off to Rooster Teeth to see how they did it.

When they started the fight I noticed there health. 4K EACH, while my characters were stuck with 1.8K for Vanille and 2.4K for Fang, WTF!? Then I kept watching on to find that they were doing the exact same tactic as I was, except there attacks were WAY stronger than mine. Then I realized that I had walked past so many enemies that I could have killed for the extra exp.

"Screw this" I thought, so I went back and tried it one more time... and failed.

I tried going back a bit to grind but that was WAY to boring, especially since every enemy there could kill me just as fast as Hecatoncheir.

And that was it, I gave up from that point on and stopped playing altogether. It was a shame though, I really liked everything about this game, the story, graphics and I even liked the new battle system. It was one of my favourite Final Fantasys (I don't know how to pluralize fantasy as a pronoun) despite what most people thought of it.

Ddgafd

Jul 11, 2009
In Deus Ex: Human Revolution I was in The Hive doing the quest for Malik. I hacked the panel on the upper floor not knowing that every single armed asshole in the place would try and kick my ass.´I had 11 stun gun shots and nothing else. Not unwinnable, but certainly difficult.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
FoolKiller said:
canadamus_prime said:
Yeah, Final Fantasy VIII. Ended up in some sort of tower chasing after damsel in distress, unbeknownst to me, once past a certain point in the tower, you can't go back and at the end is a massive boss fight that involves the boss having partially absorbed afor mentioned damsel in distress and keeps draining her for health and if you do area of effect attacks you'll hit her as well, which happened to also be the basis of my play strategy so my regular attacks were piss weak. Oh did I mention this boss liked to spam really powerful attack spells that did massive damage to my entire party? No? Well it does that too. So yeah, I can't get out of this tower, the last save point used was beyond the point of no return, so I can't leave to seek better weapons or anything, and I have no earlier save to go back to. So I finally got fed up with it and said "fuck this!"

EDIT: Oh yeah, I forgot to mention if the damsel dies during the boss fight it's instant game over.
Wow. That was written better than I ever could have. Its at the beginning of disc 4 no less. I fucking hated that game because that was 57 hours down the drain.
Was it? I couldn't remember if it occurred on disk 3 or 4. In any case I still count that as one of the biggest dick moves I've ever encountered in gaming.

Falcon123

Aug 9, 2009
Velorien said:
Final Fantasy IX. A random encounter. Garnet, being the party healer, has a very powerful weapon that heals instead of damaging.

"Aha, these monsters aren't very powerful, I think I'll try out Freya's new skill to see what it does..."

The skill turns out to inflict the Berserk status effect on the entire party. Berserk doubles the subject's attack power, makes them more vulnerable to damage, and makes them uncontrollable.

Now in theory this would turn the battle into a curb stomp. But here's how it played out:

1) First three party members attack. Monster is heavily damaged.
2) Garnet attacks with her healing weapon. Monster is healed to full health.
3) Monster attacks. A party member takes damage.
4) The Auto-Regen skill heals said party member to full health.
5) GOTO 1.

Repeat until player finishes beating head against wall and switches off console.
Dude...That hurts to read. So sorry.

OT: The first time I played Bioshock on hard, I had kind of been loose with my ammo and ended up in this weird situation where I literally had no money and no ammo. It was late in the game, so my wrench was essentially useless, but since I had also run out of Eve, I essentially had to just wail on them with my wrench to do a tiny sliver of damage, allow them to kill me, come back in a vita chamber nearby, and repeat. Given there were four enemies in the room and as soon as I got one down, he would heal at the station nearby, I was kind of screwed. Though to be fair, that was the first game I ever played with an Xbox controller (I had been an N64/Gamecube household), so I was still learning. My ineptitude pissed me off at the time though

BaronUberstein

Jul 14, 2011
Company of Heroes, multiplayer against two hard computers w/ a friend. We managed to make enough defenses to hold off the enemy, but we had so much invested in necessary defenses we couldn't move forward. We played for 4 hours and killed ~500 enemy tank before giving up.

That included a King Tiger and Jagdpanther.

SquallTheBlade

May 25, 2011
Blazingdragoon04 said:
SquallTheBlade said:
McKenna Fuller said:
Final Fantasy VIII - the last fight with Ultimecia's Guardian Force. When you get the guardian at 50% he does a spell that does 9999 damage. If you don't have either a) A Phoenix Down or b)a Hero Potion or c)Some invincibility spell, the game will not progress. I put the game down for about 6 months because I could not finish it, until I realized I had 1 hero drink, which was enough to allow me to finish the game... Completely broken mechanic.
I have played that game over dozen of times and thats not true. Maybe you were just too low level?
Your response is completely paradoxical. You say you've completed the game over a dozen times and think that the problem is due to his low level. However, if you'd played the game over a dozen times, you'd know that the enemies in the game scale in level with you, so even bosses wouldn't deal that much damage to you if you were a low level because they would be low levels as well!
Oh, I forgot that, but only because it seems the game gets easier when you level up. I know enemies level too but it seems they dont do it so fast as you.
So on that insta-killing boss. You are just doing something wrong. Only Omega uses move which hits every character for 9999dmg every time.

Edit: Did you know level scaling only had 3 "steps"? So there is only 3 different levels for each enemy. 1 when you are 1-30, 1 for 31-60 and 1 for 61-99(not 100% sure about the levels). SO, he was level 75 and has just past the level 61 cap so the boss would seem powerful. Solution? Leveling up...

Caffeine Rage

Mar 11, 2011
A few times to be honest.

My most memorable one is one of my first encounters with the no-win scenario, King's Quest. Any Old School? gamer will tell you that the King's Quest as a mine-field of game over scenarios and no-win situations. But, there is one that really stood out for me in King's Quest VI: Heir Today, Gone Tomorrow.

Toward the middle of the game, you're sent to the underworld. While there, if you touch any ghost on the first screen, it is a ticket to your last save via a game over. But, there is one ghost on the second screen you have to talk to. This ghost, gives you an item which you use literally at the very end of the game. If you do not have this item, you're stuck with a game over and left with having to replay half the game. Oh, that made me so angry.

The worst part is you wouldn't really need the item if the game let you figure things out on your own instead of getting information from a ghost haunting the castle. Conspicuous suit of armor with an arm raised up? Oh, I can't press the arm, which is obviously a leaver, without talking to someone first and I lack the item to do so because I missed it hours ago? Argh!

The other one that sticks out in my mind is the result of a bug in Black & White. Toward the middle of the game your creature is kidnapped and you must retake it. On the level in which you reclaim your creature, you have to win over villages in order to extend your reach to your creature. Along the way, your nemesis, named Nemesis, will unleash scripted encounters to try to stop your advancement.

The bug I encountered in Black & White is partly my fault, but was funny enough none the less. On the third or so village, Nemesis unleashed a pack of wolves to eat the inhabitants of the village I just claimed. "No problem", I thought, "I'll just zap them with some lightning to quickly kill them". Oh, what a mistake that was. I killed most of them, but one wolf, while on fire, made it to the village and set a building on fire. The inhabitants of that building ran from it, some of whom were on fire, and ran into other buildings setting them ablaze.

Normally, this wouldn't be a problem; a quick rain miracle would douse the flames and the people would love me again. But, because the wolf made it to the village, I lost control of the village and with it any ability to stop the chain reaction. I watched, as one building went up and the inhabitants spread the fire until the rest of the village was in ruins. I tried to build another village to replace it, but the village which was destroyed was required to complete the level.

Oh, and this was the end of a long play session, in which I hadn't really done much in the way of saving. I had borrowed Black & White from a friend and I was so annoyed with it at that point, I just gave it back to him early and never played it again.

Lord Kloo

Jun 7, 2010
Minecraft, dug a large strip mine to bed rock, was investigating and jumping around said bedrock when I happened to stumble across a 2 block deep hole, fell in and with no way out (silly me leaving all my blocks at home), no way to die and no enemies spawning near me anytime soon... wasted a whole world..

And no I can't be bothered to cheat

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
A glitch in Secret of Evermore blocked my progress. I would never see the last part of the game. I NEED TO REPLAY IT!

NeoShinGundam

May 2, 2009
"Gundam: MS Saga" aka "Gundam Odyssey." I got stuck in an ambush where all my characters had low HP and no items left. Every time I restarted I was right back at the first of three tough battles and couldn't get out. I don't remember when I had saved last, but the experience was frustrating enough that I never went back to the game.

Avalanche91

Jan 8, 2009
Losing one or two of the strongest characters in a Fire Emblem game can make it extremely difficult to beat.....Losing pretty much all your strongest characters makes it impossible.

JoesshittyOs

Aug 10, 2011
It wasn't really a game breaker because I had finished the game, But I once went on a rampage in Oblivion and ended up killing about three quest givers.

Instead of hitting load I hit save. It sucked because I killed my maid.

But it was a damn long killing spree. I'm convinced that I murdered about 25% of the NPC's.

Harry Mason

Mar 7, 2011
Final Fantasy Four (looks super awkward without the numeral, doesn't it?).
Unskippable, frozen cutscene from hell. Every time I'd load it up, it would freeze. I got a NEW COPY OF THE FRIGGIN' GAME AND IT DID THE SAME THING. After that I gave up.

Also, Silent Hill: Homecoming randomly spawned an impenetrable gate in the sewer level that blocked any progress. All of my save files led to the same piece of fucked up code. When I started a new game, it was gone. Just another reason to despise that awful fucking travesty of a game.

Supertegwyn

Oct 7, 2010
FFIV DS version. When you go through the big crater in the ground and had to fight those three dolls? I could either:

a) Smash the dolls to pieces and then the next boss would destroy me
or
b) Use my weakest attacks on the dolls, EVENTUALLY kill them with no Mana or Health left and then get smashed by the next boss.

I never did finish the game.

spacepope22

Dec 4, 2009
Resident Evil: Code Veronica
I forgot to place one of the dragonfly wings (There are only four, and all are needed to reach the final boss) in my stash before reaching a scene were control switches to the other character. Then, not realizing it, I saved my game.

Cronky

May 24, 2010
Halo 1:

I was playing Co-op with my friend on the Library level. We had just gone up one of the big elevators in the level and instead of moving on with me, my friend decided to jump down the elevator shaft (it's open around the edges). It just so happen that right as he jumped I had hit a checkpoint. For whatever reason I (probably being player 2) got warped to him instead of him to me.

We spent about 20 minutes constantly falling, dying, and loading at that checkpoint.

GlorySeeker

Oct 6, 2010
Enchanted Arms.
I enjoyed that game very much, until I got to the last boss. Its way over leveled by the point you are supposed to be there. And I refuse to farm in an RPG. Guess Ill never finish it.