Have you ever gotten a game into an unwinnable/unfinishable state?

Magicmad5511

May 26, 2011
I've managed to get myself stuck in Fable 3. Reaver's Wheel of Misfortune glitch. You go in to try the wheel, press for it to spin so it locks the door ready for the coming fight.
Thing is though the game glitched and the door to the monster chamber didn't open leaving me trapped in a room completely locked in.
I then paused and tried to leave and come back to the save file but that ended up saving it. I am currently trapped there and completely unable to escape.

Of course the other old classics of infinite death loops and just not knowing what to do have also happened to me.

Vykrel

Feb 26, 2009
yes, just once that i can remember.

i was on the second to last level in Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising and the game just glitched on me. once i got to a certain objective and finished it, the game refused to continue. i tried reloading the checkpoint several times, and even tried replaying the entire mission a few times. nothing worked, so i quit the game forever. fuck it

i also almost got myself stuck in Half-Life 2: Episode 1 when i was taken to 1HP and there were no healthpacks around. it was fortunate for me that i was at the beginning of the game and had the super gravity gun, or i would have had to restart it. it is for this very reason that i support regenerating health in games. people complain about it so much, but they would surely complain a lot more if they could get themselves in a situation where they have no choice but to go back and play through a chunk of the game without screwing up, again.

DevilWithaHalo

Mar 22, 2011
A few times.

1. Rune. There's a part where you're in a Viking city and some boxes are supposed to be pushed away by a berserker coming after you, then you can proceed from where he came from. Glitch happen, the boxes didn't move and I spent the next 3 days exploring the world to find out where the hell I was supposed to go.

2. Fallout 3. I'm sitting there watching dear old dad and the crappy commander exchange words. Then they stop talking. I'm wondering what the hell is going on. I travel all around the world again to find out what's up and read online someone was suppose to be in the room with them that never spawned. Full restart of the game from scratch, thanks you bloody PS3!

3. Thing. After I beat the final boss it just kind of stopped. No ending, no cutscene, no credits. Turns out some of the shipped games had this known bug.

4. Vampire the Masquerade. Hello Mercurio. Buzz off.

5. Firewarrior. The first time you meet Chaos Space Marines in mass. I had maybe a clip of ammo to my name and a heart of gold. Turns out it takes a little more than that to bring those suckers down. Haven't picked the game up again since then.

6. WoW. Back when I did play at least. Had the entire giuld fall through the world during a raid. No coming back from that. I've also personally fallen through the world several times. Always an adventure when my toon lived.

zerobudgetgamer

Apr 5, 2011
Velorien said:
The skill turns out to inflict the Berserk status effect on the entire party. Berserk doubles the subject's attack power, makes them more vulnerable to damage, and makes them uncontrollable.

Now in theory this would turn the battle into a curb stomp. But here's how it played out:

1) First three party members attack. Monster is heavily damaged.
2) Garnet attacks with her healing weapon. Monster is healed to full health.
3) Monster attacks. A party member takes damage.
4) The Auto-Regen skill heals said party member to full health.
5) GOTO 1.

Repeat until player finishes beating head against wall and switches off console.
I know it's kind of the opposite of the topic, but I couldn't resist this. Same game, final boss, first time playing. Basically, he has a Malboro-type move that inflicts every status under the sun, and, among other statuses, inflicted Berserk on ALL of my teammates. I watched as each character ran in and slashed the boss while being poisoned to death or what have you.

The twist? With only Amarant remaining, and probably a good two minutes of staring at the screen hopelessly, I WON against the dude! I just stared at the game in disbelief while the credits rolled.

Now, as for games that I could never finish, most of them were pre-GameFAQs era, honestly. I could never beat Sigma in any of the Megaman X games, ESPECIALLY 3 with that massive armored body of his; couldn't even get one hit on him. Zelda, too. I could never beat Ganon, no matter how hard I tried. I beat them all several years later, so I guess it's kinda moot.

Though, one game I refuse to touch ever again is Final Fantasy 2. I don't know how you're supposed to play this game, but you level up differently than other FF's. Instead of getting EXP, leveling up, and raising all stats, you raise stats by doing stuff related to it. Attacking raises Str, being attacked raises Def and HP, using spells raises MP and Mag, and so on. Here was my dilemma: in the starting zone - a little island-like place - you have Goblins and whatnot that are all at a relative level of 1-5, not much damage, no magic to speak of, etc. Now, JUST ACROSS THE BRIDGE to this zone, ALL enemies are in what I can only guess is the mid-30's, with most of them having -ra spells and strength levels that hit for 2-300 damage! I grinded on Goblins for three hours straight and couldn't go up against any of the monsters across the bridge - and grinding on Goblins was SLOW! I could spend thirty minutes letting them beat the crap out of me, attacking them now and then and expending all my MP casting Cure on me and them to keep us all up, and be lucky to get a point or two in each respective field, and maybe 10 or so extra health.

Never. Again.

Aean

Jul 22, 2011
Gladius save file in which I almost never used the main characters, then saved beforce a forced wilderness encounter with a bunch of summoners. Non of my main characters could even get out of their constant freeze spam, I hate to restart a game that I was over 80% of the way through from scratch (and its about a 100 hour clear time game O:)

Scrubiii

Apr 19, 2011
In Oblivion I speced for a stealth and reached level 15-16 before embarking upon the main quest. At this point, I entered the church undercroft and discovered it is impossible to kill four frost atronachs with archery when they one-hit kill you.

Buleet

Feb 21, 2010
Dark messiah of might and magic.
i killed my first ogre and the game saved as he fell to the ground.
Unfortunatly i was under the 600 pounds of dead ogre so i got squish.
Then it reloaded.I got squish.Then it reloaded i got squish.
Yeah and my last save was about half an hour ago.
I was not amused

kickyourass

Apr 17, 2010
Twice, both in Final Fantasy games. The first time in 12 the first time I played the game I had optimised my party so horribly, that when I reached the Laviathan Airship or whatever t's called, I died within seconds of getting into the battle with the Judges (the one right before you find Penelo). But since I couldn't leave to try and get more useful equipment I had to restart.
The second time is in FF4 on the DS. I've just finished the Lodestone Cavern and if I try to fly in the Airship I'm automatically taken to this tower place where the enemies in the VERY FIRST ROOM can literally kill my entire party in a SINGLE attack. So my choices are either restart the game and try to do better next time or level grind until either I beat the tower or lose my fucking mind.

I'm not entirely sure how much those count but they're the closest I've got.

Robert632

May 11, 2009
In Dead space 2, I got to about 2/3 of the way through the game, and had to kill I think 2 or 3 of the big gorillaish monsters one after another. I had enough ammo to kill one of them.

Luke3184

Jun 4, 2011
imnotparanoid said:
MurderousToaster said:
I also found I couldn't complete Dragon Age: Origins on anything other than a combat-oriented character, which is one of the reasons I dislike that game. I found this out in that goddamn Mage Tower segment or whatever it was called (the part where you're separated from your entire party).
Uh same, I gave up on that game about 10 hous in, its just stupidly padded and difficult, I might go revisit it somewhen though.
If you guys are on PC there's a mod that skips it whilst still giving you the xp, codex entries and stat boosts, and I've managed to do that section on a mage character who was a Arcane Warrior, hope it helps :D

imnot

Apr 23, 2010
Luke3184 said:
imnotparanoid said:
MurderousToaster said:
I also found I couldn't complete Dragon Age: Origins on anything other than a combat-oriented character, which is one of the reasons I dislike that game. I found this out in that goddamn Mage Tower segment or whatever it was called (the part where you're separated from your entire party).
Uh same, I gave up on that game about 10 hous in, its just stupidly padded and difficult, I might go revisit it somewhen though.
If you guys are on PC there's a mod that skips it whilst still giving you the xp, codex entries and stat boosts, and I've managed to do that section on a mage character who was a Arcane Warrior, hope it helps :D
I got it for the 360, my PC basicaly runs on steam power and wishing, I got past the mage quest but after that frustaration the damage was done and I moved onto some other game.

Corporal Yakob

Nov 28, 2009
Mr Thin said:
Yes, but it was more due to a lack of skill on my part than any broken game feature.

I was playing Dawn of War, an RTS if you don't know, and it was a 1v1 bot match, me as Space Marines, the bots as Chaos. We'd been playing for a while, and had gotten to the point where we were producing resources faster than we could spend it.

It basically got to the point where we both spammed units from multiple unit production facilities, and smashed them together in the middle of the map, in a constant, unending melee (that also included rockets and plasma).

This battle went on for over an hour, non-stop, neither of us gaining any ground, before I finally called it quits and exited the game. It simply would not end.
This would happen to me so many times in Company of Heroes on Insane AI-they'd just send wave after wave after wave of high tier units that would smash themselves to pieces on my defenses but because I was so preoccupied defending I could never advance or take any sectors and the game would degenerate into a stalemate. My record was a game that lasted 2 hours and 42 minutes: but I won!

Plan10FromSpace

Sep 7, 2011
accidentally quick saved on a slope I was falling down, no idea how I managed it or why I couldn't go back to a previous save...I was like 6 or 7, just remember it happening.

Auron225

Oct 26, 2009
I got a dead game (its the term apparently) in Prince of Persia: Warriors Within.

On my way to the final boss, and I pressed a switch I shouldnt have. It raised a platform I shouldnt have raised, cause at this point there is no way to lower it again... and you need it lowered. I stupidly saved it after I raised it, making the game COMPLETELY impossible to finish. Can you imagine how pissed I was? Had to watch the ending on youtube -.-

I'm kinda put off playing the others now (Sands of Time was much better anyway), just from that experience.

Luke3184

Jun 4, 2011
imnotparanoid said:
Luke3184 said:
imnotparanoid said:
MurderousToaster said:
I got it for the 360, my PC basicaly runs on steam power and wishing, I got past the mage quest but after that frustaration the damage was done and I moved onto some other game.
Seriously give it a second look in, it is by far in my top 3 games I've played, ever....

gbemery

Jun 27, 2009
Yes multiple times. My first play through of DA:O was stuck in a rut in the temple of Andraste when I ran out of health potions and didn't have someone in my party that could heal me. I also got stuck in Chrono Cross when I was fighting Fate. I eventually got through that one but it took forever. There have been others but nothing comes to mind yet. Ah yes Mass Effect on insanity when I am fighting Benezia. I think I didn't level up enough and I didn't bring someone for crowd control...oops.

LordDarkPhantom

Apr 23, 2011
Panzervaughn said:
In Oblivion there was a quest to go to a grove where some ever-flowing water chalice was frozen, so its a grove of ice, full of ice elementals. You're sent to collect the tears of some paladin frozen in the ice. I didn't know these tears were on the ground, radially around this center pillar, so i spent alot of time running around looking up on things and fighting elementals, before finding one. Then i had realized i had kicked every other away while running around. Thanks Physics Engine.

Had to reload and lost 2-3 hours
My God I hated this part of the quest. Took hours before I realised that they were scattered on the ground and even more time to find every little bugger.

Lullabye

Oct 23, 2008
Last Remnant.
So many times I've gotten stuck...
If its not against some random damn enemy, then it is always ALWAYS against dragons!
The battle system is stupid complex and takes forever to learn(i had just hit disc 2 when i thought i had a decent handle on it) yet the A.I in the game has a perfect mastery of it(thankfully it is not a good A.I)
And then, after all of that, getting through most of the game.
4 words
Cyclops and Gae-fucking-bolg.
No. Just no.
I mean, sure Torgal can pretty much solo him but when all he does is focus Torgal and kill him...then not even the rest of my party can do anything.