Have you ever had that moment when you were happy a TV show you don't watch is ending?

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Queen Michael said:
When Bleach is over, I'll be cheering like a madman.
God I hate Bleach.
Wait...Bleach still isn't over?

BUT THEY KILLED AIZEN, what the hell is left?!

BQE

Posh Villainess
Jun 17, 2013
Dirty Hipsters said:
Queen Michael said:
God I hate Bleach.

Hey now! Spoiler alert! I haven't gotten to that part yet! I've been watching them fight battles in faketown.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
BQE said:
Dirty Hipsters said:
Queen Michael said:
God I hate Bleach.

Hey now! Spoiler alert! I haven't gotten to that part yet! I've been watching them fight battles in faketown.
Is it really a spoiler that the main villain of a shonen manga will be killed? No, no it is not, and Bleach is nowhere near clever enough to do anything else with any of its villains.

BQE

Posh Villainess
Jun 17, 2013
Dirty Hipsters said:
BQE said:
Dirty Hipsters said:
Queen Michael said:
God I hate Bleach.

Is it really a spoiler that the main villain of a shonen manga will be killed? No, no it is not, and Bleach is nowhere near clever enough to do anything else with any of its villains.
That's pretty unfair. Some of us watch certain shows with bated breath and elect to be willfully ignorant of the cliches and tropes evident in such.

I like Bleach. A fair amount of it anyway. Don't worry though, you can't shatter my disillusionment that easily.

Aizen dieing isn't actually that important to me, I'd much rather a whole lot more characters die off.

Resetti's_Replicas

Jan 18, 2010
There was this show on Sy-Fy called Robot Combat League. I'm the hugest fan of Robot Wars and Battlebots that you could ever find, so you'd think I'd be overjoyed at a new robot combat show. But Robot Combat League was just so bad that I was praying for a mid-season cancellation. To me, it was an effigy of everything wrong with American television; you've got these gigantic robots that punch the shit out of each other, (made by the man who built Mechadon no less) and yet there's only 6-10 minutes of fighting per hour-long episode - the rest is confessionals, drama, and conversation. I wanted this show to be a bigger disaster than the Hindenburg docking the Titanic, because it was the only way that the TV execs would learn that this is NOT the kind of programming that they should be making.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Fiz_The_Toaster said:
No. I typically ignore shows that I don't like and I zone out when people talk about them.

I like to think that they're giving me time to think about things while they talk about shows that I don't care for.

It's very considerate of them if you think about it. :D
I'd normally agree with your philosophy, but the rampant imitation of Jersey Shore scared me enough for the future of my nation that I actually did a Snoopy Dance when I found out it was canceled. Now if only we could get people to stop reporting on everything Snooki does.

And maybe put a similar embargo on the Kardashians.

amaranth_dru said:
Like maybe the only show I would be happy if it ended is Big Bang Theory. I sometimes feel that it misrepresents the culture it portrays and isn't funny but a subtle insult to nerd culture.
Yeah, most of the nerds on that show are way too functional. >.>

Seriously, though, it's no more insulting than any other sitcom. Fair play if you don't like the material, but it's not like it's remotely unique in "misrepresenting" the people it portrays.

I think people are offended by the show because they picture the creators and writers pointing at them personally and laughing.

But I don't care that much about the show. All that I care about is the them.

And now it can stay or leave as it pleases.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
Zachary Amaranth said:
Fiz_The_Toaster said:
No. I typically ignore shows that I don't like and I zone out when people talk about them.

I like to think that they're giving me time to think about things while they talk about shows that I don't care for.

It's very considerate of them if you think about it. :D
I'd normally agree with your philosophy, but the rampant imitation of Jersey Shore scared me enough for the future of my nation that I actually did a Snoopy Dance when I found out it was canceled. Now if only we could get people to stop reporting on everything Snooki does.

And maybe put a similar embargo on the Kardashians.
That's still a thing?

Wow, time sure does fly when you don't give a shit. :D

Honestly, I don't watch much TV anymore, so I'm actually surprised that it's still around and knock off shows are being made.

I'm suddenly sad, why did you have to ruin my mellow? :(

frizzlebyte

Oct 20, 2008
Jersey Shore. For about five seconds the show was Three Stooges-level stupid-funny. Then one realizes that the show only avoids cancellation by virtue of being "reality television," because that's the only way a terrible show with terrible actors can actually stay on the air.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Fiz_The_Toaster said:
That's still a thing?
Well, it was canceled, but it still seems to be a thing in terms of people acting like the people from the show. And treating a couple of the douchebags like they're celebrities.

I'm suddenly sad, why did you have to ruin my mellow? :(
It's a gift. And a curse.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
frizzlebyte said:
Jersey Shore. For about five seconds the show was Three Stooges-level stupid-funny. Then one realizes that the show only avoids cancellation by virtue of being "reality television," because that's the only way a terrible show with terrible actors can actually stay on the air.
At least it was, finally, canceled.

frizzlebyte

Oct 20, 2008
Zachary Amaranth said:
frizzlebyte said:
At least it was, finally, canceled.
Yet, Duck Dynasty lives. And this season's premiere was the highest rated reality show premiere on cable TV ever.

Yes: EVER.

Why is the world so cruel?

Nemusus

Jun 10, 2013
I want Breaking Bad to end. Not because I don't like it, I've never watched. I do find the premise interesting though, but with my final year of high school finally drawing to a close, I've got too much pop culture to catch up on as is, and it's nice to know that the show is over, just so I don't have to scramble to catch up before the next seasons starts. Thank god I read the "A Song of Ice and Fire" books last year.

sextus the crazy

Oct 15, 2011
I'm happy that Naruto is coming to an end (they're already having a final-ish battle). It just needs to be taken back behind the shed and introduced to the family double-barreled shotgun. Want some more Shonen series' to slowly get sick of anyway.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Vigormortis said:
canadamus_prime said:
No because if I don't watch it then I don't care whether it ends or not.
Shame others don't share that frame of mind.

Nope, it's "I don't like this/I don't watch this/I don't like hearing others talk about something they like, therefore I wish it would go away."

Because...I mean...fuck other people for enjoying something I don't, right?
That does seem to be the prevailing attitude. For me, if I don't like it I don't pay any attention to it. I realize that it sometimes hard to ignore something when it's everywhere like in the case of the Twilight sage, but even then you can choose to let it bug you or you can dismiss it. No one is (presumably) forcing you to read/watch/listen to it so why do you care if other people do?

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
canadamus_prime said:
That does seem to be the prevailing attitude. For me, if I don't like it I don't pay any attention to it. I realize that it sometimes hard to ignore something when it's everywhere like in the case of the Twilight sage, but even then you can choose to let it bug you or you can dismiss it. No one is (presumably) forcing you to read/watch/listen to it so why do you care if other people do?
A valid question. One that a LOT of people around here apparently never thought to answer.

I mean, beyond just this thread, look at the threads pertaining to the announcement of the SteamOS. Most of the people in them are bitching about it by saying things like, "I don't get it. Why are people excited for this? There's no info to go on, so why do people care at all? How is this going to work?"

Then, though they've just admitted that there's too little info to make a judgement on it, they proceed to make their own negative judgement calls; listing a slew of reasons why the SteamOS idea is "dumb" and why it "won't work".

I don't know what the hell happened around here, but the hyperbole and the hypocrisy are running rampant nowadays. Not to mention a dramatic increase in the number of personal attacks and over-generalizations.

In one of those threads someone said something akin to, "Shh. Be careful or the Valve fanboys will get you."

Had I said the same thing in a different thread, but replaced "Valve" with "Bioware", I'd have gotten an almost instantaneous warning.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Vigormortis said:
canadamus_prime said:
A valid question. One that a LOT of people around here apparently never thought to answer.

I mean, beyond just this thread, look at the threads pertaining to the announcement of the SteamOS. Most of the people in them are bitching about it by saying things like, "I don't get it. Why are people excited for this? There's no info to go on, so why do people care at all? How is this going to work?"

Then, though they've just admitted that there's too little info to make a judgement on it, they proceed to make their own negative judgement calls; listing a slew of reasons why the SteamOS idea is "dumb" and why it "won't work".

I don't know what the hell happened around here, but the hyperbole and the hypocrisy are running rampant nowadays. Not to mention a dramatic increase in the number of personal attacks and over-generalizations.

In one of those threads someone said something akin to, "Shh. Be careful or the Valve fanboys will get you."

Had I said the same thing in a different thread, but replaced "Valve" with "Bioware", I'd have gotten an almost instantaneous warning.
What's really sad is the fact that if you call anyone on this you'll get the standard response of "It's the Internet, what do you expect?" As if that sort of behaviour is acceptable because it's the Internet.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Pretty much every show i like.
Let me explain. I am weird, i watc TV shows when they are complete. a show is over, then i get all the episodes, and watch them in order over the next month or so (depends on series lenght). Waiting "for next season" is very bad for me and GOT is the only show i do that.
So when a show is over i think "good, i can add it to 'this i can watch' now list"

KarmaTheAlligator

Mar 2, 2011
Yeah, I was very happy when Lost ended, because then I didn't have everyone and their mother talk to me about it, asking me the same questions over and over. Otherwise, I usually try to pay as little attention to whatever happens to the show as possible.

Hoplon

Jabbering Fool
Mar 31, 2010
Johnny Novgorod said:
No. I don't watch it, I don't care if and when it stops airing.
Except maybe in the case of Lost. Man was I glad those conversations were over.
YES! not very bright people trying to guess what's in the shitty mystery box was painful.