Have you ever had that moment when you were happy a TV show you don't watch is ending?

FoxKitsune

Jun 23, 2012
On the level of something I still care about, I want Supernatural to end soon. I feel like everything came to a great end in season...I forget, but I guarantee any fan will know what I mean. You know, the season ending thad had like, 2-3 seasons setup as an ending then threw a curve ball to keep it going at the last second. That said, it's still a hilarious show so all the time it is outstaying its welcome I'll continue to enjoy it.

Things like Game of Thrones and Breaking Bad I'm grateful for, because it's like actual; effort is going into shows again in a world being increasingly infected by humiliating reality television. Though I just ignore it (and hypocritically occasionally watch the apprentice) I do desperately want Big Brother to end, mainly because of all the hype about it's FINAL SEASON!....about 2 years ago. (Apparently `Final season` means `Final on this channel but someone else is buying us, Lol.`"

JemothSkarii

Thanks!
Nov 9, 2010
The big one for me is Doctor Who (people are gonna maul me for this)

It sounds interesting, but the fans put me off. I know a few 'Tumblr tier' fans who constantly go on about how hot the doctor is and always want to cosplay or something about him.

I never thought a fanbase could bug me so much.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
frizzlebyte said:
Yet, Duck Dynasty lives. And this season's premiere was the highest rated reality show premiere on cable TV ever.

Yes: EVER.

Why is the world so cruel?
I honestly know nothing of this show save for the name.

Amaror

Apr 15, 2011
BQE said:
Game of Thrones. I'm quite tired of hearing about it when I've never asked about the show ever before.

Ever.
Before.
Hehe, well good luck with that, because if they really film every book then that's a LOOOOOONG Way off.

Vegosiux

May 18, 2011
Especially with American-made shows, never, because I never believe for a second that it's really going to end if they see they could keep cashing in on it *chuckle*

K12

Dec 28, 2012
I was quite pleases when Lost ended because people would stop trying to get me to watch it (I've tried several times and I just isn't that great)

Especially since it had a really shit ending.

Vykrel

Feb 26, 2009
thebobmaster said:
Part of me is glad that it is ending on Sunday, because that may finally stem the flow of "have to watches" I hear.
if so many people are telling you to watch a show that it starts to get on your nerves, it is usually because the show is worth watching. just watch the first couple of episodes. it wont kill you, and there is a very high chance that it will end up being one of your favorite shows. i didnt have any urge to watch Mad Men, but i decided to give the show a try and it is easily one of the best shows ive ever seen. i heard how great The Wire was, and i ended up binge watching it. point is, you probably dont know what youre missing.

my brother feels the same way that you do. ive only recommended Breaking Bad to him once, but he has apparently heard it from so many people that he is now going to give the show a watch.

it isnt like people are recommending you a trash tv show. its the highest rated show on tv right now.

speaking of trash tv, i am glad when crappy shows end, such as the Jersey Shore. but im also glad when shows i do watch end, since it frees up room for great new shows. im glad that The Office, Burn Notice, and Dexter have come to an end, because Game of Thrones, Homeland, The Walking Dead, and a few other shows i watch have come out in the past couple of years. watching all those shows takes up a loooot of time.

Amaror

Apr 15, 2011
Vigormortis said:
Shame others don't share that frame of mind.

Nope, it's "I don't like this/I don't watch this/I don't like hearing others talk about something they like, therefore I wish it would go away."

Because...I mean...fuck other people for enjoying something I don't, right?
Yeah, i never understood why people do that.
You know what i do, when someone tells me how good a show is and that i should watch it?
I watch it.
Simple as that, if i like it great. If i don't then i just tell him that the next time he's trying to convince me to watch the show and he will shut up about it.
It's not that complicated, people!

jetriot

Sep 9, 2011
Vegosiux said:
Especially with American-made shows, never, because I never believe for a second that it's really going to end if they see they could keep cashing in on it *chuckle*
You mean like X-Factor and Doctor Who? The reality is that a great many TV shows end at a peak of popularity simply because thats where the writers wanted to end or that is where the narrative leads it. Seinfeld, for example, could have gone on for far longer and kept making money, but instead they ended at a peak. Breaking Bad is another example of a show that is still gaining in popularity every year but is ending with the completion of the story arc.

The reality is that writers, directors and producers usually have a great love for their shows and want them to end on a high note. In the ultra-competitive American industry there is always something bigger and better to move on to. The same can not be true for the stagnant BBC which beats it shows into the ground before letting them die(Don't get me wrong I love a lot of what the BBC has to offer).

jetriot

Sep 9, 2011
I don't understand why people are so resistant to watching a new show that is super popular(even one episode). People talk about these shows because they enjoy them and they are constantly searching for social connections. I know many escapists like to think of themselves as hipster counter-culturists and that many simply don't enjoy interacting with other people but you are kidding yourself if you think your time is so valuable that you can't take an hour to see if you like a show or not but you can spend more time complaining about how something is popular.

Elementary - Dear Watson

RIP Eleuthera, I will miss you
Nov 9, 2010
I have to say I have never been bothered by something that doesn't directly affect me in any way before! In fact... I am very good at not paying any attention to anything that I dislike!

On the other hand, I was glad when glee was finished, but only because it was when I was with my ex, and it meant I got her attention back during that hour a week, and didn't have to listen to shite cheery music sung out of context loudly whilst ironing every weekend! :(

ItouKaiji

May 14, 2013
Elfgore said:
I'm ready for One Piece to just end. They have 600+ episodes and I think a few movies and OVAs, it's time to stop. I don't even have the will to try and watch it because of that episode count and I dislike pirates. If it ended today I would be happy and for no reason at all. I don't hate the show, I just think it needs to end.
You're going to be unhappy for for several more years to come. The should entered the halfway point of the story about 60 episodes ago.

ItouKaiji

May 14, 2013
Queen Michael said:
When Bleach is over, I'll be cheering like a madman.
God I hate Bleach.
Bleach has been over...for well over a year now. OOoh, you mean the manga...yeah, we're on the last arc, maybe that means Kubo will finish some time this century.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
There is one anime I kinda want to end because it's been running too long. Now I love that anime, but I have issues with series that go on forever and I want it to end so I can watch it from beginning to end... although being behind by at least 500 episodes I might be able to watch it from start to end anyway...

However most of the time I don't care. If I don't watch it I'm not bothered by it. It makes people happy so why would I want to take that away from them?

Nov 28, 2007
Vykrel said:
thebobmaster said:
Part of me is glad that it is ending on Sunday, because that may finally stem the flow of "have to watches" I hear.
if so many people are telling you to watch a show that it starts to get on your nerves, it is usually because the show is worth watching. just watch the first couple of episodes. it wont kill you, and there is a very high chance that it will end up being one of your favorite shows. i didnt have any urge to watch Mad Men, but i decided to give the show a try and it is easily one of the best shows ive ever seen. i heard how great The Wire was, and i ended up binge watching it. point is, you probably dont know what youre missing.

my brother feels the same way that you do. ive only recommended Breaking Bad to him once, but he has apparently heard it from so many people that he is now going to give the show a watch.

it isnt like people are recommending you a trash tv show. its the highest rated show on tv right now.

speaking of trash tv, i am glad when crappy shows end, such as the Jersey Shore. but im also glad when shows i do watch end, since it frees up room for great new shows. im glad that The Office, Burn Notice, and Dexter have come to an end, because Game of Thrones, Homeland, The Walking Dead, and a few other shows i watch have come out in the past couple of years. watching all those shows takes up a loooot of time.
I did watch the first couple of episodes. It was interesting to me, but I wasn't in a position to hunt down the rest of the episodes since I don't have Netflix or anything, and it wasn't so great that I wanted to try to find other methods to watch it.

What is the reaction of people when I mention that? "The show doesn't really get good until season 2! You have to watch it all! Just buy Netflix! It's worth it just for that show!"

If it was just people saying I should watch a show I was unaware of, that would be one thing. But trying to pressure me into watching more of the show, when I've already stated I do not have the means nor inclination to watch more of the show than I've already seen, is a different story.

miketehmage

Jul 22, 2009
Not really for shows I don't watch... I suppose Big Brother? But didn't they start it again anyway? I dunno it's a load of shit.

I'm actually glad Breaking Bad is ending aswell. But I watch it and I love it. The reason I'm glad it's ending is because it will avoid the mistake most TV shows make of trying to continue for far too long and ending up shitty.

OH OH WAIT

JERSEY SHORE
JORDIE SHORE
MADE IN CHELSEA

I wish they'd all end.

TK421

Apr 16, 2009
Elfgore said:
I'm ready for One Piece to just end. They have 600+ episodes and I think a few movies and OVAs, it's time to stop. I don't even have the will to try and watch it because of that episode count and I dislike pirates. If it ended today I would be happy and for no reason at all. I don't hate the show, I just think it needs to end.
Actually, Oda says that the manga is just now halfway through, so good luck with that.

I agree with op, and hold the same reasons for wanting Breaking Bad to end as he does.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
Amaror said:
Yeah, i never understood why people do that.
You know what i do, when someone tells me how good a show is and that i should watch it?
I watch it.
Simple as that, if i like it great. If i don't then i just tell him that the next time he's trying to convince me to watch the show and he will shut up about it.
It's not that complicated, people!
Not quite sure how it happened, but I think you may have quoted the wrong person. The text is from one of my posts, but the quote name is someone else.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Anyway, I'm going to assume you meant to quote me.

As such, I can honestly say that I do what you say you do in similar situations. If someone recommends a show, game, song, or whatever to me, if I'm not immediately turned off by it at face value, I'll give it a go.

If I like it, I'll thank them for the recommendation and join in the conversations they have about it. If I don't, I'll tell them as much and thank them for the recommendation anyway.

I just don't get this prevailing, "I don't like it, therefore it should end so no one else can enjoy it" attitude.

What kind of selfish, self-centered so-and-so do you have to be to want others to be denied something they enjoy? Particularly when that thing isn't really hurting you or anyone else.

It baffles me. And, the number of responses in this thread that are basically like that saddens me.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
canadamus_prime said:
What's really sad is the fact that if you call anyone on this you'll get the standard response of "It's the Internet, what do you expect?" As if that sort of behaviour is acceptable because it's the Internet.
Oh my....the number of times I've heard that excuse.

To use the old vernacular: "If I had a nickel..."

I guess it's true that virtues like kindness, common decency, empathy, personal responsibility, and rationality are dead. Or, in the very least, on terminal life support.

Skeleon

Nov 2, 2007
Hm. I used to get annoyed by ads for stuff like Sex And The City, Desperate Housewives, Grey's Anatomy and whatnot. Dunno whether those ended or not because I stopped watching television, but if they did and I had still been watching TV, not getting annoyed by those ads would certainly have been a boon.

Right now? Game of Thrones. Everybody tells me how great it is but I just don't care to watch it. Not enough time to even start getting into, not really my genre, not really interested. But the constant references to it annoy me, so if it were to stop... I would be quite happy, I think.

Isn't that bizarre? Even though I don't watch TV, I can't get away from that particular TV show being brought up.

But this talk about TV shows makes me remember... I'd like to catch up on Supernatural. Maybe I'll get around to it. I wish they stopped meandering around so much, though. I'm probably not the only one who misses the "monster of the week"-type episodes that were so much more common in earlier seasons.