Have you ever outsmarted your teacher?

Terminate421

Jul 21, 2010
When I was in 2nd grade I managed to convince my teacher that I was playing an educational gameboy game with a friend, it was really pokemon gold and I was winning.

Ever have stuff like this happen to you?

Gilhelmi

The One Who Protects
Oct 22, 2009
No, but a friend of mine did. He convinced the Principle that he only hacked the schools network to create a second account because he needed more storage space, technically this is true but the space was for games.

Frequen-Z

Resident Batman fanatic.
Apr 22, 2009
Nah, though one time in science we were discussing global warming, and I said that there was a Futurama episode that explained it perfectly, and asked if 'I brought in a DVD, could we watch it?'

He said yes (he was an awesome teacher) and so we spent the next days lesson watching Futurama.

The Afrodactyl

Jul 19, 2010
Twice. I once stood up, walked to the board, rubbed out what the teacher did and corrected it (in about Year 2/3).

Sencond time was more recent, but it was just generally just knowing more about the current topic than she did. She would always ask me for confirmation of her information.

Liam1390

Sep 2, 2009
Oh, a couple times. In fourth grade during a spelling test I asked my teacher how to spell a word and for some reason she did. There have also been incidents where I know more about a certain subject than my teacher, and I've always made that clear.

Jack_Uzi

Mar 18, 2009
The only time a teacher of mine was standing silent was when I forgot my books (a one time occasion). He smashed a comic on my desk and told me to read it during class because he didn't tolerate "people who don't want to learn." I shoved the comic aside and told him I actually DID want to learn something.

Sovvolf

Mar 23, 2009
A substitute History teacher once claimed that it was the Romans that fought in the battle of Thermopylae. Though this was way before 300 came out and I guess it wasn't as common of knowledge as it is now. Still I'd have though an History teacher would have known it was Greeks versus Persians. Though pointing that out got me out in the hallway for the duration of the class.

Edit: Though I don't think I could put this down to the teachers quality. The teacher was just substituting for the normal History teacher and it's possible that History wasn't the Teachers strong point. Maybe the teacher was more of a Maths teacher or a Science teacher. So the teacher having his history confused isn't that big of a mark against him.

Also the teacher that ripped my work up for using figurative and descriptive speech in a piece of fiction we had to write. I explained that what was written was figurative and was being used to increase the tension at that moment. However that got me into more trouble. I was only 8 at the time too... That sucked.

When I started at college, me and a few of the college teachers would often debate on many things, mainly general trivia. I had those same teachers for 2 years and well we debated in quite a few lessons. Which got me well liked by the teachers of the class and one liked me enough to post recommendations of me to other areas of the college for my work.

Same went for my last course in media. Though with different teachers. I debated with them quite a bit as I'm a bit of a media buff (mainly thanks to spending most of my days watching movies, making of movies and debating on the internet). We'd go for full lessons just debating one subject. They even had me helping out the class which was kind of cool.

I preferred college teachers to High School teachers. They don't flip when corrected and even reward knowledge, they also talk to you on their level rather than belittling you.

Jroo wuz heer

Apr 1, 2010
many times

once my teacher said 2 triangles put together any way would have the same perimeter
not the best story but the only one that would not require a wall of text.

oh and I told my 6th grade humanities teacher about roman incendiary pigs and she didnt believe me until she looked it up. but to her credit it sounds EXTREMELY far fetched

shogunblade

Apr 13, 2009
- Confirmed to an English teacher that Brokeback Mountain was written by Larry McMurtry (Lonesome Dove)
- Confirmed to another English teacher that the group on the "Outsiders" book were Socs (Short of "Socials") and not Socks (A cloth one puts on a foot). She won't admit I'm right, so she keeps calling them Socks.

Those are the only two in recent memory, but I felt awesome when I admitted these things to them.

Lord_Ascendant

Jan 14, 2008
I corrected my English teacher senior year of high school, who holds a Doctorate in English Literature, that the anglicized word "grey" in the title The Picture of Dorian Grey is spelled with an E because it is British.

She gave me a look that would curdle milk. I smiled.

Oh, and I was able to say the names, portfolios and symbols for all of the Norse, Greek and Egyptian Gods in my "Around the World" pick-n-mix history course. My teacher was gobsmacked, I felt smug.

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
I won an argument with my High School physics teacher by stating that if we DID have space ships that could travel the speed of light it wouldn't matter how long it took to get to other stars as time would stand still.

Frequen-Z said:
Nah, though one time in science we were discussing global warming, and I said that there was a Futurama episode that explained it perfectly, and asked if 'I brought in a DVD, could we watch it?'

He said yes (he was an awesome teacher) and so we spent the next days lesson watching Futurama.
And Al Gore used those clips in The Inconvenient Truth. It's just THAT good.

DarkPanda XIII

Nov 3, 2009
I've so far I've stumped a few professors with the amount of Greek Mythology I know :3, and this is in College

Dirkie

Feb 3, 2009
I used to play battleship and checkers with a classmate during chemics. We were both called to the front to explain some reaction and the additional calculations, so we did it and correct too.
The comment was that we were no longer allowed to play games in class, because it would discourage others from learning.
Once i had a simple allround solution for some flat geometry thingy and my teacher told me it wasn't possible. Afterwards she checked it and apologised because it did work.

Tharwen

Ep. VI: Return of the turret
May 7, 2009
Well no... unless you count the long-ish argument about how pleasing Jesus shouldn't be the primary aim of a parent in raising his child. Otherwise, (in my opinion) he's a pretty sweet teacher (he's a Valve/BioWare/Google fanboy, and is prepared to stop a lesson to discuss games/the game industry/technology in general).

Jun 26, 2009
I got into a argument about the esxistance of god. She was basically preeching and I had enough so I put my hand up and said:
'Maam if god is 'omnipotent' they he is all powerful, yes? That is where a flaw lies, if he's all powerful he can create a object to heavy for him to lift making him not all powerful.'
The fact that she walked off means I win.

nuqneh1

Aug 15, 2010
Once, though I think it was just a misunderstanding. I asked what the difference was between personification and anthropomorphism was and he said that anthropomorphism was shapeshifting or something like that. I didn't correct him.

Calico93

Jul 31, 2010
My English teacher was a bit dumb once
we were doing something on Batman and she said that the word marvellous had some sort of meaning as Batman was from Marvel comics ... But oh wait it was DC comics, me and my mate told her and she said "why don't you tell that to the author then" (in a jokey manner), basically not understanding what we said and wondered off somewhere else
Me and my mate looked at each other speechless and laughed for the rest of the lesson

And another time last year in college my mate told the teacher that he used real blood for one of his works of art, not his, some tasty pig blood
She bought it and I still laugh now