Have you ever played a game that just made you want to flip a table?

Zen Bard

Eats, Shoots and Leaves
Sep 16, 2012
I'll go with the "Rage-inducing games" interpretation of this thread for $100, Alex.

"Street Fighter IV" Holy shit, the game cheats!

At the higher boss levels, there's a fraction of a second lag between the time you hit your buttons and when the move actually executes. Meanwhile, the boss AI has already spammed half a dozen counter moves making it damn near impossible to connect.

On the last level, if I so much as tap the joystick, "Seth" has already unleashed a flurry of potential blocks and counters the game "thinks" I'm going to execute before my character even moves.

After about an hour of this crap, I threw my controller at the TV. Damn lucky nothing broke.

DanielBrown

Dangerzone!
Dec 3, 2010
Just Cause 2 gave me an entire island to blow up.
I had so much fun with that game. :')

And yes, I also thought this was about games that made you angry. Majin and the Forsaken Kingdom takes that price! Hated every second of it, but I still grinded my ass off to get the platinum trophy. The things we do for worthless rewards...

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Malbourne said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
Max Payne 3 lets you break just about everything, and the damage registers for keeps. Every little bullet hole is lovingly rendered. This is particularly satisfying during the office shootout levels. You can practically count every shard of glass you break. Destroying stuff is so much fun it actually makes you wanna lower your accuracy when shooting at enemies, just so you can see all the pretty wreakage you can create around them.
Yeah, I never actually considered buying Max Payne 3 until recently thanks to how inexpensive it's gotten. Mehbe I'll buy it on disc for a song and give it a whirl. Bog-standard over-the-shoulder third-person shooters typically don't take advantage of their mechanics and I wouldn't be so shallow as to mark destructable environments as the main selling point. But it helps.
It doesn't have an over-the-shoulder camera, it's your standard third person shooter where the camera hovers slightly above and behind the character and doesn't zoom in whenever you take aim (that I recall? Certainly not like Resident Evil 4 or Dead Space). I too only bought it because I found it dirty cheap - and also had a thing for Max Payne 2 10 years ago. But if you're looking for a selling point, I think it's the best use of bullet time mechanics I've ever experienced in a game. And it's replayable as hell.

A_Parked_Car

Oct 30, 2009
I used to destroy entire sheet metal homes by hurling KPA troops through them in Crysis 1. I had to be careful though as the physics engine could bug out and an empty plastic bottle that fell off a table onto you could be an instant crush death.

DefunctTheory

Not So Defunct Now
Mar 30, 2010
Casual Shinji said:
Red Faction: Guerilla

It's basically Break Shit: the Videogame. Taking a car strapped with explosives and ramming it into a building, hammering away at the base of a structure with your mallet till the whole thing eventually comes crashing down, or just taking a mech and plowing through everything man made while flailing your giant robot arms around. It's all good!

It's a one-trick pony for sure, but it's the most smashing pony in the world.
I second this game. It was so bad, I refused to do little else. I wouldn't even shoot enemies - the only way I would kill enemies was by bringing buildings down around them. Friendlies around? Who gives a shit, that structure cannot be left standing. Bring it all down!

All I ever did in the game was drive vehicles into buildings, then plant explosives everywhere and set them off while running away.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Casual Shinji said:

It's basically Break Shit: the Videogame. Taking a car strapped with explosives and ramming it into a building, hammering away at the base of a structure with your mallet till the whole thing eventually comes crashing down, or just taking a mech and plowing through everything man made while flailing your giant robot arms around. It's all good!

Pretty much. I always loved the "Protect this Rebel base/living space!" missions because it ended up me going
[HEADING=2]I'm here to save y'all![/HEADING]

Only to plant whatever I was driving right into their homes. A source of endless amusement. And of course the big-ass walker. Oh yesss.

A honourable mention goes to Oblivion/Skyrim and Fallout 3/New Vegas. Though there it wasn't as much destruction as it was jumping on and sprinting down carefully arranged dinner tables, shop displays and all that. Make a big ol' mess of it, and not even getting punished for it.

Frission

Until I get thrown out.
May 16, 2011
Hotline Miami, but that was less due to being frustrated than the game encouraging a sort of berserker rage.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
AccursedTheory said:
Casual Shinji said:

I second this game. It was so bad, I refused to do little else. I wouldn't even shoot enemies - the only way I would kill enemies was by bringing buildings down around them. Friendlies around? Who gives a shit, that structure cannot be left standing. Bring it all down!

All I ever did in the game was drive vehicles into buildings, then plant explosives everywhere and set them off while running away.
I still have a seperate save for the exact moment you get the jetpack. Just flying around with my disintegration rifle. And if I was in building surrounded by enemies I'd just blast a hole through the ceiling and fly myself to safety.
Cowabungaa said:
Pretty much. I always loved the "Protect this Rebel base/living space!" because it ended up me going
[HEADING=2]I'm here to save y'all![/HEADING]

Only to crash whatever I was driving right into their homes. A source of endless amusement.
Yeah, those missions were a blast. They'd even on occasion have a conveniently placed turret. And those wacky military vehicles had the habbit of launching into mid-air when being fired upon by explosives. So when I blasted at them with a turrent they'd usually fly right over me and crash and explode into the housing structures I was supposed to protect.

And then after the mision was finished I'd go and demolish every house that was still standing.

Shinsei-J

Prunus Girl is best girl!
Apr 28, 2011
I'm quite sure I destroyed every destructible object in Dark Souls 1 & 2.
Every barrel I see, every vase that comes before me, every table that I pass must... be swung at, rolled over or kicked.
There is no other way, it's an uncontrollable urge of pure catharsis.

WhiteFangofWhoa

Jan 11, 2008
A few, but there is no finer game for the catharsis of blowing things up than Worms: Armageddon. Particularly the Cow Storms and Banana Bombs in tight spaces. I viewed a pleasant reminder of its status in my mind the other day, watching some online matches where people had customized the voice sets to fit their teams. One of them was the Harbinger from Mass Effect. Another was The Tick.

On the other side of this thread's potential meaning, I'm taking another shot at becoming half-adequate at DOTA 2, and it's rough going. A lot of the abilities like Hex and stealth abilities don't seem to work when I use them. All it takes is one mistake by one member of the team, and you're doomed to a 5-man ganking spree for an hour or more. Our opponents, by contrast, are super-intelligent cyborgs built specifically to be able to coordinate in MOBAs and react in picoseconds.

Raine_sage

Sep 13, 2011
Dragon's dogma has plenty of destructible terrain (barrels/rocks/crates)but mostly destructible monsters (Aim for the eye!)

But it stands out in my mind because the very first thing your loaner Pawn does is smash up every surrounding crate in the area. Like the minute he gets done telling me he's going to follow me forever he runs over to the corner and starts wailing on a barrel with his staff. I had to pause the game because I was laughing so hard.

Timpossible

Aug 4, 2014

Just love it to just run around and let massive buildings crumble. So satisfying. But why is there no "rebuild" funtion...i can destroy stuff only once. T_T

Oh and the Souls-Series. Die evil Furniture! Die and burn in all the hells there are!

Malbourne

Ari!
Sep 4, 2013
Zen Bard said:
After about an hour of this crap, I threw my controller at the TV. Damn lucky nothing broke.
Aw, but if your television broke it would have made your post twice as relevant! That said, I sympathize when it comes to a fighting game and AI. Might've been Skullgirls when I realized I rather liked the spam tactics of some online opponents and couch friends.

DanielBrown said:
Just Cause 2 gave me an entire island to blow up.
I had so much fun with that game. :')

And yes, I also thought this was about games that made you angry. Majin and the Forsaken Kingdom takes that price! Hated every second of it, but I still grinded my ass off to get the platinum trophy. The things we do for worthless rewards...
Just Cause 2 was my jam for twenty straight hours one wonderful weekend. Even managed 20% completion, almost purely from blowing up silos, radars, and other objectives. More games need parachute-grappling hooks.

Shinsei-J said:
I'm quite sure I destroyed every destructible object in Dark Souls 1 & 2.
Every barrel I see, every vase that comes before me, every table that I pass must... be swung at, rolled over or kicked.
There is no other way, it's an uncontrollable urge of pure catharsis.
That actually reminds me: nobody's commented on Link the serial smasher. Watching the Best Friends play Souls, I thought there was a tactical reason for breaking objects. Like health and stuff. But a few minutes of their gameplay made me realize the value in a cathartic cask-cracking.

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
Prime_Hunter_H01 said:
OH

I thought this was about games so rage inducing it made you want to flip the table.

I am going to post on what I thought.

Hearthstone, I have not played many ccgs before so the need to have some semblance of ideal decks just to play causally was infuriating, but kinda ok, thought everything went down hill when I played their single player Curse of Naxxramus. To any one who is going to play that, prepare for the most bullshit game you have ever played, the only thing that at all balances it is the fact that the CPU is not as smart as a real player. That barely helps.

By the time i was done for the night I wanted to flip my table over and wished that I had something physical related to Hearthstone to destroy.

OT: Also in Hearthstone, you can mess around with the battle field, its fun to break the windows of a building or mess with stuff like vines, or a catapult
Wait let me get this straight. You were tableflip mad at the AI? Dear me, you have it easy, you don't have to deal with all the God Tier decks online and the Nax expansion gives you free cards to help give you an advantage/ease off the boss advantages. Frozen Champion, all the Sunburst stuff in Loatheb's one and so on.. I have been known to rant about how stupid the game is to allow for board control to mean fuck all compared to pretty much any other CCG (that I know off.)

Oh i've got a board of two Etherial Arcanists behind a few Secrets (they increase by 2/2 every turn if there are secrets down) and one of two other solid cards, I wonder how he's going to trade this out?

Answer: He doesn't. He just goes for the face like every other ignorant fuck online. I don't 100% agree with him but I know what my one friend means when he says it's a CCG for retards...

Really they need to add an "attack with all" button just to complete the current "go for the face lol" meta. It would hurry up the full board of low damage shitters bashing your face almost insultingly slowly at least.

But don't worry, Zoo Warlock is a board control deck.

[sub][sub]I cannot believe Trump said that with a straight face...[/sub][/sub]

OT: Oh yeah, breakin' shit. I would say Just Cause 2 but I never got into that so much, I suppose random destruction couldn't carry the crappy story and mediocre gunplay.

If we swap "things" to "people" i'll say the 1v100 challenge map in Batman: Arkham Origins. Deathstroke beating the fuck out of 100 people, what's not to love? The buggy mess the game was/is is totally forgiven.

Prime_Hunter_H01

Dec 20, 2011
The Wykydtron said:
I don't play ranked and at least in pvp I can expect to be steamrolled and its reasonable when it does happen. Though at the end of a Naxx repeat loss that wore down on my sanity a normal pvp game was annoying as hell to loose in just because it compounds on a loosing streak. Its more expectation. Since Naxx is PvE, I expect challenge but not on a level where you basically have to be tournament ready to stand a chance.