Have you ever played through a game and completely missed a game play feature?

Fijiman

I am THE PANTS!
Legacy
Dec 1, 2011
imahobbit4062 said:
Kraj said:
Yes, commonly actually. Mostly in RPGs there's an entire section of crafting that I ignore because I find another to my liking, case and point in Oblivion and Skyrim I ignored smithing, in NWN1 and 2 I ignored all crafting entirely, as a matter of fact; I rarely enjoy crafting mechanics in games, and often am surprised to hear my friends chatting about how great the crafting system was in a game.

However, I absolutely love yogbox in minecraft. I don't know why I ignore crafting features so much and love a game that is primarily crafting as the core game engine.
Oblivions smithing I never touched. Skyrims is pretty good though, just a hassle to level up so that you can craft some of the more advanced armors and weapons.
However I do usually ignore stuff like that as well. Spell making I never got into same with Alchemy in The Witcher.
Oblivion didn't have smithing like in Skyrim. It had enchanting and spell making, but not smithing. The closest thing to Skyrim's smithing you could get was using repair hammers to fix your armor and weapons.

DragonLordSerge

Mar 13, 2012
riottrio said:
TheFunPolice said:
I played through Metro: 2033 without knowing you could buy or upgrade your weapons..I played my whole first playthrough with the shitty weapons you pick up, and a sack full of moneyz
what. you can upgrade weapons in Metro 2033? Damn! That would have been helpful.

I have never used "throw gil" in any final fantasy game. i saw my brother do it and it was the most useless attack i've ever seen. I have however, used the 'bribe' skill in Final Fantasy 10, if only to get the rarest goodies from monsters.

Pedosmile said:
In FFX i dint realise you could use the orbs to make your character stronger till i fought Yunalesca needless to say my hours of grinding payed off when i finally found it out
...but....but.... how!? (did you actually manage to get that far with characters you had left with 'level 1' stats. I can understand why you didn't know how to use the sphere system, i was smashing the 'o' and 'x' button as quick as i could through that boring text tutorial.
Well i just grinded alot i think i was around lvl 80 something in the zanarkland i think i spelled that right but i just thought it was meant to be a really hard game i had alot of potions and phoenix downs at all times and i allways kept all my armors as best i could i loged in that game over 120 hours lol

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
Blargh McBlargh said:
The Wykydtron said:
Pimp Stance in the first Dead Space
Helloween fan, huh? ;)
Hey if the rest of the world subscribed to the Helloween School of Naming Things the world would be a much more awesome place XD

"Bob what shall we call this contraption?"

"Spiky Death Laser of Doom sir!"

"Very good Bob. Bob? Where ar- Oh no not again Bob! Why does all the murder keep happening to you!?"

Skull Kid

Apr 16, 2010
Doesn't seem as bad as some people here but I recently found out that you could sprint in the Mario games - never got very far with them. Also according to Steam I've put 162 hours into Skyrim without knowing about sprint.
Stephen Mack said:
I had logged many long days in Minecraft before a friend told me I can use L-shift to avoid falling off edges. That and sprinting. He changed my life.
Oh and apparently minecraft has the damn thing as well

AgentLampshade

Nov 9, 2009
When I was younger, I never used buffs on my party in JRPGs. I normally just waded in, trying to get the fight over ASAP. Nowadays I look back and wonder how the hell I did it.

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
Nothing I can recall at the moment, but I taught my brother about the melee key right after he started his second RAGE playthrough. :D

EDIT: Wait... I didn't realize I could rotate the camera while in the combat menu in Mass Effect 1... until I'd played Mass Effect 2.

Operation Genesis

Apr 8, 2010
ajemas said:
You can apparently aim down ironsights in Bioshock, something which would have come handy during some of the earlier parts of the game.
Wait....what?

Okay, I guess that's my answer to this thread, then.

Gennadios

Aug 19, 2009
J03bot said:
Gennadios said:
The really long getting killed by a grapple animation in ME3 singleplayer were apparently quicktime events. I had no idea until I beat the game and played multiplayer.
Wait, what? Does this mean I don't have to just sit there and get my face eaten by a banshee? Explain how
Mash 'F' to not die.

Odbarc

Elite Member
Jun 30, 2010
Threx said:
My friend just asked me this on Facebook, and I want to see what you guys can come up with.

So, have you ever played through a game and completely missed a game play feature?

His example was: "I'm replaying Mass Effect 1 and I just learned that the vehicle has a canon and Right Bumper allows you to use abilities"
A guy from work played Skyrim for months and beat it without ever finding out about the quick-travel feature. He walked from point A to point B the ENTIRE game.

MMSouthpawVIII

Sep 5, 2008
I made it through most of the REmake not knowing that you could run. It made the game a lot more intense.

I also didn't know about the bathroom in Catherine until after I beat it. I still don't know what it's for

Crazy Zaul

Oct 5, 2010
I would have probably never known about the carriages in Skyrim if I hadn't seen it on a tips website. The game does nothing at all to tell you that it has that. They could have done it as a loading screen tip instead of getting the dark brotherhood chant most of the time.

Also it wasn't till quite late in ME3 that I actually bothered to go down to the shuttle deck and find the shop to upgrade your weapons. I tried to avoid going to other decks as much as possible cos in ME2 it had overly long loading times to go to the Normandys decks.

kortin

Mar 18, 2011
I finished Kingdom Hearts without knowing there was a 100-Acre Woods level. I mean, I knew there was one, but I didn't know how to get to it. Did the entire game before finding that out.

NinjaDeathSlap

Leaf on the wind
Feb 20, 2011
Threx said:
My friend just asked me this on Facebook, and I want to see what you guys can come up with.

So, have you ever played through a game and completely missed a game play feature?

His example was: "I'm replaying Mass Effect 1 and I just learned that the vehicle has a canon and Right Bumper allows you to use abilities"
I only discovered the Mako's cannon on my second play through too. That sure made all the Thresher Maw fights easier.

tacotrainwreck

Sep 15, 2011
I remember playing Secret of Evermore back on the SNES and going through the entire first world without knowing I could charge my weapons to increase striking power as they leveled up. It wasn't the entire game, but it was quite a while. Honestly, I can't believe I made it that far... was wondering why the game was so gruelingly difficult... :p