Have you ever played through a game and completely missed a game play feature?

Shadowfiend

Feb 6, 2011
ajemas said:
You can apparently aim down ironsights in Bioshock, something which would have come handy during some of the earlier parts of the game.
Bioshock has ironsights? Holy shit!

Nyaoku

Jan 7, 2012
Resident Evil 4. Didn't know you could make your case bigger. Didn't use any other guns except the pistol and sniper rifle because I thought everything else took too much room. Grenades were a lifesend.

Mario ... B runs faster. Yes, that mario.

Pokemon ... Bill's PC. I don't know about you. My Pigeot kicked some legendary pkmn's *****.
Also, the daycare. lols were had.

Oblivion: The potions that give the same effect as spells. Luckily, I had an axe.

Mario Kart: Hop/Drifting to get a boost. Did learn you can hold a and b to cancel a banana though.

Halo: Pistol zoom. That thing's a freaking sniper rifle.

Fallout: Repair function ... I just kept looking at which gun was in better condition and swapped out.

I'll just end this list of humiliation here.

A Raging Emo

Apr 14, 2009
Z of the Na said:
Mass Effect 2.

I was halfway through the suicide mission when I realized I could press "Back" on the Xbox 360 controller to holster my weapon. Not really useful in combat, but it surprised me nonetheless.
Holy shit!

Really?!

On Topic: Amnesia: The Dark Descent... I had no idea which key it was I had to use in order to use my lantern. It was only...

When I met Agrippa

... did I work it out!

Oh man, I wish I'd know how to do that. Frak me.

Samantha Burt

Jan 30, 2012
imahobbit4062 said:
I'm honestly shocked at the amount of people who have missed the sprint feature in games (why is Skyrim said so much?!). I usually figure out how to sprint the second I have control of the game.
Skyrim was a surprise because, to my recollection, the other four didn't have a sprint option.

Not-here-anymore

In brightest day...
Nov 18, 2009
Gennadios said:
The really long getting killed by a grapple animation in ME3 singleplayer were apparently quicktime events. I had no idea until I beat the game and played multiplayer.
Wait, what? Does this mean I don't have to just sit there and get my face eaten by a banshee? Explain how

Gingernerd

Jan 16, 2010
In my first playthrough of Persona 3 i didn't realise that you could exit the dorm and get onto the city map through the left side of the screen. Totally had an existential crisis when they removed that "feature" from Persona 3 Portable!

ign0rantc0nsumer

Apr 9, 2012
Viewtiful Joe, didn't know that you could hold down the punch button and slow down time and land a continuous series of punches. I just jumped and kicked the whole time. At the final boss fight my friends pointed out the slowed down "99 punches" move was the most powerful in game. D'oh. At least they were impressed i got all the style points without the best move.

Richardplex

Jun 22, 2011
I love these threads, I learn so much about my games.
I now can drink out of that toilet for Moira faster.
I can now swivel my camera around in same game/presumably F:NV to see my face.
Okay, not so much in this particular threads, but each time it comes up I learn at least 2 new things.

To add to them: You can see where enemies are in ME2/3 by doing that pause game thingie. third playthrough I learnt that.
Mass Effect 1, you can change the zoom of sniper rifles. 150 hours it took me to learn that. Only one playthrough did I not use a SR.
Jade Empire, I learnt that I can use my focus 20 hours in. Admittedly, it's unnecessary considering the ease of the game, but still.

I know there's more, but can't think of them off the top of my head

King of Asgaard

Vae Victis, Woe to the Conquered
Oct 31, 2011
I went through the entirety of Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep without ever using D-Links.
They were bloody useless, though.
Also, an entire playthrough of Skyrim without ever touching the melee combat.

AbstractStream

Feb 18, 2011
In FFX, I didn't use the sphere system because I completely skipped all the useless (guess not) text that was a "tutorial." I was horribly underleveled, yet I somehow managed. It could have made my life a whole lot easier if I paid attention.

necromanzer52

Mar 19, 2009
Frybird said:
That you can actually switch zoom levels of Sniper Rifles in Metal Gear Solid 1 + 2. Explains why i found the weapon to be pretty useless outside of boss encounters.
You can do what!? I had no idea. I also didn't learn until after my first playthrough that you can take some pills to steady your aim in sniper mode. I got completely pissed off during the sniper wolf fights for nothing.

The Hero Killer

Aug 9, 2010
Final Fantasy IX, I didnt know you had to equip stones to use the summon monsters. I spent the whole game wondering what happened to Ramuh.

Quaxar

Sep 21, 2009
I finished Saints Row 3 without ever upgrading any weapon I had. Not that it mattered that much since you can overkill anyway but holy shit was I surprised when I discovered I could improve my weapons in the middle of the second playthrough.

Fijiman

I am THE PANTS!
Legacy
Dec 1, 2011
Damn, I know that my brothers and I have had a few cases of this but I can't remember what they are. I even remember thinking about how much easier a game would have been if we had known about something earlier, but not what it was nor for what game. Crap, this is going to bug all day now.

AceTrilby

Dec 24, 2008
Loop Stricken said:
Mass Effect 3 uses Select on the 360 pad to quicksave.
WHAT?

Oh man, I wish I had known that! You sir, just blew my mind.

Back on topic, I never obtained the radio on my first playthrough of Deadly Premonition. If I hadn't had to go through all that terrible driving I might have loved the game even more...