Have you ever posed as a girl in a MMORPG?

Ando85

Apr 27, 2011
I have a male friend who a few years back created a female human priest on World of Warcraft. It wasn't really his intention to benefit from it, but he did. He noticed how much nicer people were to him and how much free stuff they would give out. They would also jump at the opportunity to run him through dungeons and the like.

He didn't bother to correct them when they assumed he was a girl in real life and he just went with it. When someone found out he was a guy in real life he got angry and called my friend "queer bait" or something to that effect. It was rather hilarious.

Yassen

Apr 5, 2008
I did once make a female Night Elf, guys were noticeably nicer to me. I never pretended to be a girl, didn't make any clues or flirts, anything. Having a female avatar was all it took. They'd include little smily faces, offer me gold or help with quests, pretty funny.

After that I never assumed someone's gender until they outright said it.

Etherian87

Feb 7, 2011
i almost always play as female characters, not sure why, just do. Anyway in some games i notice the things you mentioned, WOW being one of them, but some i don't, DCUO for instance. Im not really sure why this is but if anyone asks my gender or is gettin a little... weird... then i always mention i am a guy irl but surprisingly have never been insulted etc for it.

The Rascal King

Aug 13, 2009
In DCOU I did just to kick the shit out of people in PVP with Superman powers like a bitchy Supergirl. I found out rather fast that moderators don't like the name Iron Cuhnt.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
I've made a couple females here and there.
I'm generally kind of antisocial and I don't go around doing the whole "I'm a girl, look at meeeeeeeee!" dealie, it's just good to get a bit of variation.

Phasmal

Sailor Jupiter Woman
Jun 10, 2011
I am a girl, but I asked about this ages ago and was surprised how many people have actually done it. I don't quite understand it myself because people have never been nicer to me (in fact most people are nicer to me when they think I'm a dude).

I think it's gotten to the point now though that so many people do or have done it that nobody really assumes someone playing a female avatar is really female any more.
We keep inviting people into our guild on GW2 and many have girly names but are all dudes.
My guild's still a sausage fest. :p

SpectacularWebHead

Jun 11, 2012
It's not quite the same, but I turned my guy in halo to a girl, and within about ten minutes I got a metric shitton of friend requests.

Cheesepower5

Dec 21, 2009
I just roll what I want, but there is a noticeable difference in interactions playing a male or female avatar.

People were much more willing to help my tall, slender Night Elf Disciple Priest out a sticky situation, than my short, stubby, bearded Dwarf Holy Paladin. I'd definitely say a healer or light DPS is in advantage to be female.

AwkwardTurtle

Aug 21, 2011
I've definitely played female characters in many mmorpg's, whether it was by choice or by simple gender restrictions based on class.

Normally I make it pretty clear, "Oh, I'm a guy playing a female character because x". It's usually because of the fact that a class is limited to being a specific gender, or because I simply found the female characters to look significantly better than the male characters in the game.

I'll admit that there have been some times when someone goes out of their way to help me in mmorpgs, and it's probably because they thought I was a girl. There have been times when I didn't bother to correct a person, but it was normally because I know I wasn't going to commit to the game anyway. So I myself haven't played the role of a female for a long period of time. I can certainly see the advantages to doing so though. :p

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
No. I do often, however, play as female characters in MMOs despite being a male. When I am RPing, I RP the character as a female. When not RPing, I don't go out of my way to say "Hey, I'm really a guy!" If someone else chooses to think that just because my avatar appears to be a female and thus I have to be female as well, that's their error and I really see no reason to go out of my way to correct them.

In short, I fail to see it as "posing a a girl" at all, it's just playing a female character.

Now, if you do go out of your way to pretend that you are a gender you are not just to play people who use gender to determine how "nice" they are to someone else, that's a different story.. though it's still not something I could see feeling too terrible about in the end and given the situation.

Bad Jim

Nov 1, 2010
I played a female healer in Guild Wars once. I did get invited into a guild although it may simply be because I kept the group alive despite having a couple of Leeroys in the group.

Fourspaces

May 28, 2008
I've played female characters in MMOs, but i've never said I was female. I usually just pick a female character if it makes sense for my character idea - for example, in guild wars 1, I picked a female warrior because I wanted a warrior that was smaller than a tree. I generally consider female characters in mmos to be played by women unless corrected though.

Phantom Kat

Sep 26, 2012
I've played female toons but I've never noticed being treated differently because of it. If I'm using gender specific pronouns I normally use whichever one applies to their character and they're free to correct me if they want.

Muspelheim

Apr 7, 2011
Never pretended to, but people do tend to assume that when I play female characters. One person did get a bit upset, since we'd been in the same guild for ages and he thought I was a lass all along. Something about how I spoke (and probably also because I didn't roleplay as an airheaded bint in chainmail bikini talking about shopping, that's a bit of a giveaway) and acted. He never asked, so there's that. Wouldn't lie about that.

I still like to think he might have a little crush on me, and I'm going to take that as a compliment. It's a shame it had to go break, but open mind, people! :3

Why I played a female character in the first place? C'mon. The cutest thing on earth is a tauren lassie. Plus, they look horrorshow in plate.

DoPo

"You're not cleared for that."
Jan 30, 2012
Yassen said:
I did once make a female Night Elf, guys were noticeably nicer to me. I never pretended to be a girl, didn't make any clues or flirts, anything.
Same here. My first character was a female night elf. However, people outright wanted me to be female. Even after I maintained I wasn't.

Some Guy: *flirts with me*
Me: I'm actually male IRL.
Some Guy: Are you sure?
Me: Yes, I am.
Some Guy: Absolutely?
Me: ...

Yeah, I stopped playing female characters in MMOs after that. Not that I play lots of MMOs but it principle, if I did, I'd have made a male character (or something more monstrous so it doesn't matter).

Simonism451

Oct 27, 2008
I play one in DayZ because for some reason everyone else is playing dudes and this makes it easier for friends to recognize me at a distance.
Also, you know, roleplaying and such.

Spitfire

Dec 27, 2008
I often play as a female in MMOs, and in most other games that give me an option to (I'm male, fyi), but I've never claimed to be female, and I've never received special treatment from other players, not that I can think of, anyway.