Have you ever posed as a girl in a MMORPG?

BabySinclair

Apr 15, 2009
I will almost always make one female PC in any game, for two reasons. If I'm replaying a RPG I want to see the differences in NPC reactions. I also will get tired of the same male voice if I'm forced to listen to it over and over with the same dialogue and a change of voice is much appreciated. I never pretend to be female and when asked I'll always admit to being a guy. I like seeing how the developers approached sex and gender and sometimes the character I write up in my head (like say GW2), the sex doesn't matter and I already have 4 male characters.

ohnoitsabear

Feb 15, 2011
I've had several female characters back when I played WoW and I never got treated any differently. Of course, the fact that my name was always something along the lines of Imadude probably explains this.

Applejack

Aug 1, 2010
I'm a little shocked after reading this thread I am so glad I have never played an MMO. The guys that are hitting on...you other guys sound like the most deprived ever. But um at least they're being chivalrous about it xD. I've only had 2 friends that have played an MMO and guess what they were playing with their boyfriends so really everyone should stop hitting on the girls in games because it exposes them as sorry individuals. Or maybe they're only helping you guys because they're roleplaying as a knight that would help a girl? This whole thing seems weird maybe guys should play as guys and girls play as girls?

Mr.Pandah

Pandah Extremist
Jul 20, 2008
Never pretended to be a girl like many others in this thread. I got maybe a few smily faces from it but never any real help. I guess it might've been because I just never acted like a girl. I just enjoyed the female animations and (somewhat) more realistic character models. I don't want to be the Hulk everytime I pick a guy. =/

Ryotknife

Oct 15, 2011
CrossLOPER said:
Pretty much in any game that I play, I will be treated much better if there is the slightest hint that I am female. I always find it strange and funny that people say that females are not treated well online while my experiences with a female persona have been awesome. To be fair, this was not the case with MW2, when I was called ***** a handful of times. Come to think of it, I was repeatedly called ****** with a male name, so whatever.
depends on the game/community i would say. Still find it hilarious that people think that female avatar = female player in MMOs.

I dunno, maybe SOME male dominated communities are nicer to females because they do not know where the line is with them so they err on the side of caution and act nicer than they normally would so they would not be labeled as sexist (which is actually sexist, yes im aware of the irony)?

Ympulse

Feb 15, 2011
When I play MMOs, I mainly play female characters.

Why? Quite simply, free shit. Most recently, some random guy in GW2 gave me 60g for no reason. At all.

No reason to work harder if all I have to do is play a female character and get half of everything given to me for free.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Had a female character in TOR and was once asked what I was wearing by some guy. Was the same as rolling a guy other than that.

Tanakh

Jul 8, 2011
No I do not, mainly because i find creepy how people react differently. A shame, i would love to have an elementalist human female alt in GW 2, alas, it won't happen.

Simskiller

Oct 13, 2010
For most mmo's I roll a male main, and then a female alt.

It's fun multi/duel boxing and running my alt through stuff and have her just idle around, sometimes dancing while my main is farming xp for her, people run up and talk to her so I type using her window while I farm in another.

Though in SWTOR beta I had a female friend play a male toon while I played a female toon (by coincidence, I thought the female had the better VA, while she just wanted to play a dude), and it was fun playing with her and seeing the way people interacted in our party. Can't wait for f2p so I can run through my sniper (and probably ***** again about cover changes on forums) and my merc healer (healing flashpoints 5 levels above me was awesome to do, shame flashpoints/pvp/operations are restricted on f2p).

Captcha: cross the rubicon, sounds like a river of rubix cubes.

cerebus23

May 16, 2010
SP games my toons are male.

MMOs most of my toons are male and my main in them has been male. few times i have created a female character it just seemed to fit the character, like my mesmer in gw, sides the male mesmer armors looked lame as hell. Had one in another game was my mains "sister."

But i never pretended to be female at all, or led anyone on that way, and yes i assume every female toon i meet in any online game is a guy automatically, so they garner no automatic treatment upgrade by default.

MammothBlade

It's not that I LIKE you b-baka!
Oct 12, 2011
When haven't I posed as a girl in an MMORPG? It's digital crossdressing, fun fun fun.

More Fun To Compute

Nov 18, 2008
I found it easier to make friends with a male character myself. With a female character all I got extra was unwanted and aggressive sexual advances and bitchiness from players with female avatars.

GTwander

Mar 26, 2008
80% of my characters are always female, the only exception is in completely 1st-person games, but I did make an exception in my brief stint with Mortal Online (I felt that the game needed some nude titties to balance out all the dangling wang, and people *did* appreciate it). The only reason I do this is because my libido runs my life, so I always aim for characters I enjoy gawking at. Tera had some really nice fanservice going on.

Never gave anyone the idea I was a girl IRL, though. Always made sure I replied with "Ha!", rather than "tee hee!".

~Awkward note, the only time I remember ever getting hit on as a femchar was in Vindictus. Which is surprising, since classes are gender locked, so I played as Fiona if I wanted to sword/board (which suited me fine). Some idiot playing a Lann (simply because it was the only male) must have assumed that everyone else was on the same page he was.

Vegosiux

May 18, 2011
Well, first of all, playing a female character =/= pretending you're female.

So no, I never have. But my mains were always female characters.