Have you ever posed as a girl in a MMORPG?

Baldr

The Noble
Jan 6, 2010
I started a Night Elf female. OMG, the gifts of gold and other stuff wasn't to bad, but the creepiness of the flirting and being hit on. I delete that character, most other races never had that problem.

I do play with pink armor and "girly" icon in Halo. The best part is when they think I am a female, think they have some advantage, then they get pwned, that is when I let them know I'm a guy. There is nothing that pisses some of these guys off more than that.

excalipoor

Jan 16, 2011
My MMO characters are split about 50-50, but I don't remember anyone ever acting different towards me when playing on a female character. My current WoW main is female, though she's Forsaken, so maybe that's why... I don't go out of my way to pretend to be female, and I've never had to correct someone either.

DementedSheep

Jan 8, 2010
I know this is going to sound rude but do you have no sense of pride or accomplish from doing things yourself?
I would rather not be treated like a retard who needs their hand held than get free shit. It?s not "nice", it?s insulting.
Thankfully only a few MMO communities are stupid around female (or men pretending to be or playing a female) players, most are fine.

Prime_Hunter_H01

Dec 20, 2011
Baldr said:
I do play with pink armor and "girly" icon in Halo. The best part is when they think I am a female, think they have some advantage, then they get pwned, that is when I let them know I'm a guy. There is nothing that pisses some of these guys off more than that.
Hello Doughnut, welcome to the Escapist.
(Sorry, couldn't resist.)

OT: While I have not played a lot of MMO's I have considered it if I ever did find one I liked. Mostly I pick female on second playthroughs of other single player RPG's like Fallout or Elder Scrolls.

ResonanceSD

Guild Warrior
Legacy
Dec 14, 2009
Country
Australia
Why on earth would you pose as a girl? I'm not even sure the crossdressing thing would come into play, as Eddie Izzard said, he's basically a male lesbian.

Is it to get free stuff? I'm just not sure about the motivations behind it -_-.

I'm pretty sure I never gave anyone free stuff in GW2 because they had a female avatar.

deth2munkies

Jan 28, 2009
Specifically posed as? No.

Played a female character? Yes. (Depends on the game/class/race).

Had shit given to a female character I played because it was a female character? Yes.

Corrected those in the above column? Rarely, fools and their loot are soon parted, and half the time it's just random, so I try to give back with random acts of kindness (though not specifically to females). If they're in my party and have been for a significant amount of time I usually say something.

Meatspinner

Feb 4, 2011
Ando85 said:
I have a male friend who a few years back created a female human PRIEST on World of Warcraft
In a game where everybody wants to play Dee Pee Ess, being a healer or tank makes you one of the more "popular" people on the server

ThriKreen

May 26, 2006
Many
Men
Role
Playing
Girls

I admit I tend to, with the usual "If I'm going to stare at my character's butt all the time..." reason.

I did get a really lame pick up line in Star Trek Online once though. [http://www.animecafe.net/temp/sto/PuttingTheRearInRearAdmiral.jpg]

Oh and a follow up with another player later. [http://www.animecafe.net/temp/sto/dontworryhesaformersoldier.png]

Beautiful End

Feb 15, 2011
I do the opposite; I play a guy character even though I'm a girl.

I find interesting the fact that people just act "normally" when I'm a "guy". You know, they joke around, they act like themselves, they don't go for cheap shots, both verbally and (In game) physically, they don't hit on me because "I'm an unknown girl and I play games, ergo I'm a perfect match" (Believe me, it happens really often in real life. It's not even based on my looks).

Now, do I take advantage of it? No. I don't go around bullying people or...even flirting with others. I just find it easier for me to play as a male, mind my own business, go unnoticed and be on my way. I'm also totally fine with guys that play as girl.
I have a guy friend that plays as one because he like to draw girls and playing as one lets him analyze the outfits, poses and figures. He doesn't take advantage of it either; he just minds his own business. I gotta admit I also like playing as a guy for similar reasons.

GameMaNiAC

Sep 8, 2010
I actually did have an experience like many others here while I was playing Warcraft 3 online. My name was something girly, as a joke, which made other people assume I'm a female, which is not correct. And well, let's just say I got a fuckton of game invites. In no way have I ever implied nor said that I was a girl. It was quite overwhelming. So, I prefer being a guy, thank you.

DugMachine

Apr 5, 2010
No but I do play female characters in MMOs. Never lie about my gender though... I think it would feel uncomfortable trying to pretend to be the opposite sex.

Beautiful End

Feb 15, 2011
ThriKreen said:
Many
Men
Role
Playing
Girls

I admit I tend to, with the usual "If I'm going to stare at my character's butt all the time..." reason.

I did get a really lame pick up line in Star Trek Online once though. [http://www.animecafe.net/temp/sto/PuttingTheRearInRearAdmiral.jpg]

Oh and a follow up with another player later. [http://www.animecafe.net/temp/sto/dontworryhesaformersoldier.png]
It's funny because I play as a guy and I get a lot of horny girls hitting on me from time to time. You know, I create a cliched, dashingly handsome guy just for kicks and the stupid girls go for it. I don't tell them I'm a girl; I just simply walk away leaving them confused.

..I'd like to think they're girls. Otherwise, it's weird...and very confusing.
Or it's fine...? Hmm..

Risingblade

Mar 15, 2010
I joined a guild with one of my female characters, after some time one of the guys asked me to be his gf...it was ummm unpleasant xD

God's Clown

Aug 8, 2008
I almost exclusively play female characters, because females > males. I don't act like a female or anything, nor do I correct people if they assume I am female. I mostly just ignore people, and just continue to do my thing.

Exius Xavarus

Casually hardcore. :}
May 19, 2010
My Guild Wars PermaPre Elementalist is a female. Mostly because I think every male Elementalist in every campaign for Guild Wars is ass ugly.

It's funny watching people assume I'm actually female. Sometimes I'll roll a female in PvP and people will give me all this hate about girls playing games when I end up kicking their ass. They never believe me when I tell them I'm actually a guy, though. So I usually end up saying they just got their ass beat by a girl. :D

I play an MMO for the aesthetics. Anytime I roll a magical character it's usually female. Because female mages, to me at least, always seem to look better. I act like myself at all times. I don't go out of my way to let everyone know I'm a guy, nor do I act like a girl. Although I get hit on because people think I'm an awesome girl because I have a "boy-ish" personality.

Trollolloll....

Zyst

Jan 15, 2010
I don't do it but I know someone who not only goes for female characters but goes full on queer. My brother, we like to play MMOs together and he's just insane, he'll like flirt with people and make them his "Boyfriends" then they give him tons of free stuff, and I'm like "Is it worth it?"

DrunkOnEstus

In the name of Harman...
May 11, 2012
Yes, but it's in no way MMO specific behavior. My approach is that if I'm playing in a fantasy world that is supposed to be very much unlike my own, where I can throw fireballs, ride dinosaurs, and swing swords as large as I am, I'd like to be a woman because I'm already intimately familiar in the real world with what being a man is like. My Mass Effect character is a femshep, all my Demon's/Dark characters are women, and I do this in TES games as well.

So naturally back when I had the digital crackpipe installed on my PC, I rolled a female. I never mentioned in chat that I was a female, or "flirt" or try at all to insinuate that I was female in RL, but it worked in my favor regardless. I was frequently given gold for absolutely nothing, asked if I needed help with anything that would be a pain in the ass, asked if I needed anything enchanted/crafted for nothing, etc. I don't know if it speaks to loneliness, or how women are treated compared to men, or some other dynamic as I'm not the guy to analyze and understand the intricacies of that or how it relates to MMOs. It is really peculiar though.

Fiad

Apr 3, 2010
I will play as a female character and now and then get confused for a girl(Sometimes will play along just to screw with people, but never take advantage of them, but have never went out of my way to make people think I am one.