Have you ever posed as a girl in a MMORPG?

Candidus

Dec 17, 2009
Every single one. I play to win. Or to have the most stuff for the least effort. Either way, I always want the best situation for myself that can be leveraged, both out of the game's mechanics and its other inhabitants.

If I want those things, but I don't use the tactics most likely to bring them about, then aren't I behaving in a conflicted manner? Posing as a woman has put more items, more gold, platinum and ISK into my pocket than I could ever tally.

Mhm.. Hmhmha.. Ahahah.. AAAAHEHEHAHAHAHA! And other expressions of devilish glee.

draken693

Apr 30, 2009
I find how I write is gender neutral usually so when I do play as a female character, people usually think I am a lady.

Fliegar

Jun 7, 2010
I've never had too many female characters, as I usually prefer playing as my own gender, though not for any particular reason. I play a game called Mabinogi, and on this game, on my particular server around a year ago, there was a fairly well-known womanizer and suspected pedophile. I had heard from several people that he was trying to get information out of girls, regardless of their age, and was asked to find out if I could report it, as they did not take any screenshots as evidence.

Skip ahead to when I made a female character, an elf, in this case. I wandered around one of the cities that he was frequently in, and found him dueling some people. My brother, who at the time was also playing a female character in order to wear a specific set of armor, decided to come and watch with me. The guy I was trying to get information on noticed my brother and I, and started commenting about how 'hot' we both looked. He then added me as a friend, and messaged me with "Wow. You're so sexy. LOL. Kind of horny right now."

This is where I started taking some screenshots, as I didn't even have to start a conversation with him myself. He asked for my age, height, eye and hair colour, 'bust size', and whatnot. So eventually I was posing as a 14 year old girl with blonde hair and blue eyes, out of recommendation from the people on Skype with me at the time. Needless to say, he kept going, and I eventually made a full report on him, and didn't see him for a good 6 months after that.

The one thing that prevents me from rolling a female character in a game nowadays though, is dealing with people like him. Once someone tells you they want to "swallow your sexy toes," you tend to want to wash yourself off and stay away from situations like that for a while.

Gatx

Jul 7, 2011
I never "act" like a girl. Usually it's a case of me preferring the look of females to the males. I prefer a more slim JRPG-ish build, and most Western MMORPGs offer males that are a bit more... broad. On the flip side I'm not into the super skimpy armor you'll see in some games either.

While I've heard stories about people being nicer to female avatars, it's honestly never happened to me before. I get hit on a couple times though, never pleasant. In Champions Online and other games that offer a bio section, I've started adding a disclaimer.

Ice Car

Jan 30, 2011
I've sort of posed as a girl on certain forums. It's half a sort of joke about how I always use girl avatars. Sarcasm, sort of. My usertitle is "Totally not a guy". Confuses some people. On a particular forum where you can list your gender I didn't list any so people who don't know my gender beforehand are confused.

In RPGs in general though I always pick the female character. Have a sort of tradition of doing that.

Nimcha

Dec 6, 2010
Hmm. Mostly in MMOs people assume I'm a guy even though I mostly play female characters. Whether I correct them or not depends on if I want to play with them again or not. :p

AngleWyrm

Feb 2, 2009
Age of Conan, I played the female glass cannon fire breathing ball of fury toon. It was a whole lotta fun.

First, since the Age of Conan dev team decided to nerf everything into stupidity, I didn't wear armor. Just panties and a bra, all the way to level 40 or so. I told people I was protesting the poor quality of armor. Then I got into a group doing a group dungeon and one of the girls made a stand; she wouldn't play with us unless I put some clothes on. So I got dressed, and spent the rest of that character looking for cool outfits. She got to level 78.

There were a few fun moments that I probably wouldn't have had as a male. I felt as though I was excused from leadership, didn't have to be the superhero that everyone's trying to tear down.

USSR

Probably your average communist.
Oct 4, 2008
I nearly always roll female toons in video games if the male model looks ugly. (which they normally do.)

I try to make it blatantly obvious that I'm a guy, but people just auto-assume I'm female IRL. Which is odd to me.

Padwolf

Sep 2, 2010
Nope I've never posed as a girl, I am a girl. I've never posed as a guy though. Maybe I should give it a try sometime. But then I've never been treated differently really. Only a couple of times, when guys found out I'm a girl and tried to flirt with me.

Zack Alklazaris

Oct 6, 2011
I did it once because I heard the actress was a much better actor than her male counterpart in Star Wars: the Old Republic. Then people started to be really really nice to me for some reason. So I made a woman healer, because I suck at healing and people seem to be more understanding as I learn the ropes.

chinangel

Sep 25, 2009
The Rascal King said:
In DCOU I did just to kick the shit out of people in PVP with Superman powers like a bitchy Supergirl. I found out rather fast that moderators don't like the name Iron Cuhnt.
XD and what makes you think you would've gotten away with it!? XD

poxyrom

May 6, 2012
I don't think I've ever not played as a girl in any game that allowed me to choose.

Tdoodle

Sep 16, 2012
Yep, first TOR character I played was a girl. Didn't get that much out of it, although there was one guy who constantly complimented my character's figure during dialogue scenes. Never once mentioned my glorious head-tails though.

dancinginfernal

Sep 5, 2009
Got some free LoL training out of it the other day.

Granted, I'm not using that account anymore for obvious reason but hey.

Sonic Doctor

Time Lord / Whack-A-Newbie!
Jan 9, 2010
On my latest server on LotRO, I have 8 characters, four are male and four female. I've never posed as a girl, and haven't really noticed any difference in niceness of people. Lately I have had a lot of people just hand me crafting supplies and weapons for free on both my male and female characters.

Yesterday I did encounter another player with low level female character, and that person said my female minstrel looked pretty. I just said thank you, did a bow, the person did the same, and I went on my way.

I will say that character is my main character and also the leader of the kinship(guild) I made. Haven't really invited anybody else to join it, for now I just did the whole rigamarole of making a second account and inviting that character and promoting it up so it could promote all my other alts so that I could get the full 8 characters needed so that the kinship wouldn't auto-disband.

CharrHearted

Aug 20, 2010
I like to run the Dude and hit on other dudes as a laugh.

Pretty weird when some Big ass Charr starts hitting on a Human mage and they're like "WTF, do not want..."

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
Never. The closest I've gotten to is being mistaken for a girl in an online FPS. I now know that my name is not gender neutral as I thought it would be :p.

crazyrabbits

Jul 10, 2012
No, but many years ago, I tried my hand at playing Virtual Laguna Beach. I found an ad somewhere advertising the game (an MMO in a fully-realized world) and decided to try it out. I was probably extremely bored at the time. I modeled myself after some punk surfer or something and went online. I proceeded to drive up and down mountains on a painfully-slow hoverbike, took part in some sort of virtual "party" where young girls asked questions to the stars of the show (I guess they had their own avatars or something), got repeatedly killed by griefers as I spawned beside a hoverbike, and finally left the whole thing altogether after some 12-year old girl kept messaging me and asking to "kiss" her.

Never again.

Razentsu

Jun 21, 2011
I usually play female characters nowadays, but I never try to pose as a woman. I take the role of a helping hand in my character's journey instead of 'being' said character.

I have had some people assume I was a woman for playing a female character in MMOs, but I set 'em straight.

I pick female characters mainly because I'm attracted to women. And anyway, I can only play so many grizzled brawny dudes in video games.