Have you ever tried to make a game harder for yourself?

-Samurai-

Oct 8, 2009
I made an Oblivion character that only used hand-to-hand. Wasn't really much harder, but a helluva lot more fun.

Sparrow

Feb 22, 2009
I tried a little experiment along with a few friends of mine, which we saw on a site. Basically, we all had Far Cry 2 and we all found it waaaaay too easy. So we set it at the normal difficulty, but we made one rule for ourselves: When we die, it's over. The only way we can play the game again is to start a new character.

Makes gunfights that much more tense.

ninjajoeman

Mar 13, 2009
The Lawn said:
I beat fallout 3 only using grenades, my fists, and a knife while naked.

I beat Disgaea only using Laharl.

Slappers only for the whole of Goldeneye 64 and Perfect Dark 64.

Beat metal gear solid 4 using melee only, minus raven on who I used the tranq pistol.

That's All I can recall...

Edit:
I only used the Sandman on TF2 for a week. (Pre-Nerf)
that sandman one sounds fun
-Samurai- said:
I made an Oblivion character that only used hand-to-hand. Wasn't really much harder, but a helluva lot more fun.
do that and sneak and your a freaking bad ass ninja

SebZero

Jul 30, 2009
Nexus424 said:
Ladies and Gentleman I give you...

Pokemon Hard Mode
Nuzlocke Challenge

Though I would like to try this.

As for self-imposed challenges, TWEWY lvl. 1 vs. the Secret Boss, Panthera Cantus.
That didn't go well...

Fetzenfisch

Sep 11, 2009
In Mount and Blade i played without mounts. You really learn some respect for cavalry this way. And get some strange satisfaction everytime your Blade cuts some Horselegs

Chameliondude

Jul 21, 2009
I remember playing through resistance 1 on superhuman with my mate and trying to get a melee kill on every monster in the game, including titans, those fukin dog things and reavers.

The only way we did the titan was to both carry snipers and periodically slow down time for each other so the other could dodge bulets or jump over the huge fireballs.

brodie21

Apr 6, 2009
i only let myself have a hundred rounds of ammunition for any given gun, less for sniper rifles and pistols and rocket launchers, in Fallout 3. ups the sense of desperation

Mr. Gency

Jan 26, 2010
When I'm done with Splinter Cell, I'll play Assassin's Creed 2 with no armor upgrades, no med-kit upgrades, always notorious. It'll be awesome.

incrediblegeek

Feb 17, 2009
I love playing through the FEAR games on Hardest difficulty without ever using slo-mo. The firefights are really fast that way.

I also played through Mirror's Edge without killing anyone (toss guns away upon disarms, no kicking off edges, etc). I'm a courier, not a murderer.

Nexus424

Master Of All That Is Frosty
Dec 26, 2008
SebZero said:
Nexus424 said:

Pokemon Hard Mode
Nuzlocke Challenge

Though I would like to try this.

As for self-imposed challenges, TWEWY lvl. 1 vs. the Secret Boss, Panthera Cantus.
That didn't go well...
Ah so that's what it's called, interesting title. Yeah I did that once and it made me not play pokemon for a month after I finished the game.

ShakesZX

Nov 28, 2009
I will occasionally revisit old games and limit myself to a different way of playing the game. Like in an RPG, limiting myself to only using fighters, or in adventure games, not acquiring any required power-ups

WarHippy

Nov 9, 2009
Awhile back I had tried to beat Metroid Prime on hard mode without getting any life upgrades. Needless to say that it didn't work out. >.>

Another thing I tried, and succeeded in doing, was to beat Arena mode in Kirby Superstars without getting a single ability.

Rory Beck

Feb 23, 2010
beat Halo 2 just using only melee attacks and vehicles for the parts where melee doesnt work, such as against the final boss.

Enigmers

Dec 14, 2008
I tried to beat HAWX on Elite without ever leaving cockpit view. I got pretty far, too.

Denizen

Jan 29, 2010
in every half-life variation, i make sure i leave teh room with the maximum amount of health and armor. This means taht i only afford myself to lose the amount of health and armor i can regain when i search the room.

Ildecia

Nov 8, 2009
every single MMO i've played i've tried to fulfill my role with no gear.

people hate me sure. but i get a good laugh out of them later because i do very well.

Greeboz

Nov 9, 2009
Nexus424 said:

Nuzlocke Challenge

-If a Pokemon in your party faints, you must release it.

-Every time you reach a new route, cave, etc., you must catch the very first Pokemon you see, regardless of your current number of party members. The Pokemon may sit within the box for an indeterminate amount of time as a backup.

-If you fail to catch the first Pokemon you see, either via it fleeing, knocking it out, or having no Pokeballs, you may not catch another. Tough shit.

-This means you can not catch a pokemon in a route you were in before you could catch pokemon. So no route 1, you were there before you had pokeballs.

-If a town you go to contains a body of water or a gift Pokemon like Bill?s Eevee in G/S/C/HG/SS, that may be considered a Pokemon of a new area.

-You must nickname your pokemon so there is some sort of attachment. Each pokemon is a best friend to you, to see them die is heartbreaking.

-If your entire party faints, they all must be thrown away. If you have a pokemon left in a box somewhere, you may continue, otherwise you must start your game over.

-Treat pokeballs as rare artifacts; at no point can you buy more than one from each store. You should only use ones you find in the wild or are awarded.

-You are, under no circumstance, allowed to get a second pokemon from any given area.

-You are, under no circumstance, allowed to use items outside of battle. If you were poisoned on your last turn of the battle, you better hope to god there's a pokemon center nearby.

-You may not switch out before the enemy trainer sends in a new Pokemon.

-You are not allowed to use legendaries in battle.

-If your pokemon is 4 levels higher then the pokemon you are fighting then you are not allowed to attack with that pokemon. (Wild pokemon only. Legendary pokemon acts like a trainer fight.)

...Try that on for size.
Only the two first rules apply(The third is a part of the second rule :\), the rest are just Nuzlocke: Hard Mode.

I'm doing this right now on SS.

Ildecia

Nov 8, 2009
Khitten said:
Try playing anything other than DDR with a dance mat. Great workout but not the best if you need to react with speed.
try playing DDR with your right leg and your left hand... hard as hell (and i was challenged by a drunk friend.. why not right? plus you get to see them stumble about after you, failing miserably, tho u wont see much. you'll be crying too hard from laughing