Have You Played a Game Just For the Voice Actor?

00slash00

Dec 29, 2009
So I recently finished Saints Row The Third, which I fucking loved. I think a big part of why I loved the game, besides the fact that it was just balls crazy, was the voice talent. I especially loved the voice actor for the female player character, Laura Bailey. I actually kind of want to play other games she starred in, just because shes in them. So I know this is going to result in a ton of Steve Blum and Jennifer Hale, but who are some of your favorite voice actors and have you/would you, play a game just because they star in it?

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
No, but they're always nice to see.

I always get a weird kind of glee whenever I hear Robin Atkin Downes, or Liam O'Brien or Laura Bailey etc etc in a game. Even more so if I guess it's them and later find out I was right.
But really, it's best to avoid lots of the same actors on occasion. Otherwise the characters get all jumbled and breaks the atmosphere.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
I love listening to Yuri Lowenthal. I love recognizing his voice, I love starting a game knowing he's the lead. Once I learned his name I was too pleased to start Tales of the Abyss and Two Thrones (especially since he was absent in Warrior Within). I mailed him about it and he replied somewhat pleased, which did nothing but reinforce by fanatism for the guy. I wouldn't go so far as saying it's the sole driving force for playing a game (as the title asks), but it's certainly a huge plus.

Atlys

is best pony
Mar 3, 2011
I just recently bought and played through Battleblock Theater mostly because Stamper is the narrator. He's a hilarious dude with a hilarious voice, and after seeing the trailer for the game, I started looking for videos he was in on YouTube. The game is amazing too, but he totally makes the experience.

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
I like Yu having a voice in Persona 4 Arena just because I love me some Johnny Yong Bosch. That guy is really good at antihero voices I think, even though he has a lot of hero roles. His Lelouch from Code Geass was amazing.

He voiced the MC a little bit in Persona 4 in the battle quotes but he mostly voiced Adatchi which I also love.

Oh and imma check who Shadow Labrys' voice actress is actually. Her lines are so well delivered. I would assume the same as regular Labrys just with the Evil Filter on top. Thinking about it, the official Shabrys moves video convinced me singlehandedly that I WAS maining her over Naoto. Her voice is so awesome.

Come on, one of her win screens is just her laughing uncontrollably until it fades to black. No way I can say no to that.

SlaveNumber23

A WordlessThing, a ThinglessWord
Aug 9, 2011
I recently bought the latest Worms game on Steam because I found out that Matt Berry narrates it, that's the only example I can think of. Generally gameplay is going to always be the selling point for me with games, I still wouldn't have bought Worms Revolution if I didn't know it was going to have good gameplay.

SoranMBane

May 24, 2009
Not really. The closest instance I can think of is with Space Pirates and Zombies, where the fact that Total Biscuit is the narrator was certainly a factor in me buying it, but I probably would have got the game anyway just for its insane title.

piinyouri

Mar 18, 2012
Nope.
In fact sometimes I get tired of hearing the same handful of actors over and over again, regardless of how much I may enjoy them.

Euphbug

Mar 31, 2009
Although I have not played one specifically for voice acting alone, and in fact I do not consider voice acting a part of my decision making process, their is one game I can think of were I might of:

Bastion.

Come for the Rucks, stay for the awesome story and gameplay.

NeutralDrow

Mar 23, 2009
I don't think I've done that for games, but the only reason I'm interested in playing Sacred 2 is because Blind Guardian did the opening song. Does that count?

IllumInaTIma

Flesh is but a garment!
Feb 6, 2012
Not really, but I love, love recognizing them in games. As I was amazed when I heard bits of Liam O'brien in Bioshock Infinite and finally recognized that Lady Comstock is voiced by Laura Bailey.

Strelok

Dec 22, 2012
I have been a big fan of Tim Curry since Legend (He was the Lord of Darkness), and The Rocky Horror Picture Show (Transvestite). So that did help my decision to pickup Sacrifice and Brutal Legend, now two of my favorite games, and not just for Tim Curry. He's not really a voice actor though, at least not just a voice actor.

ResonanceSD

Guild Warrior
Legacy
Dec 14, 2009
Country
Australia
Nope, but I am playing through Megaman X right now because of the soundtrack.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Nah.

Although it does make me smile when I recognize a familiar voice. For example, some the soldier voice packs in the new XCOM are voiced by Courtney Taylor and Kimberly Brooks (Jack and Ashley from Mass Effect.)

It's also fun when the credits roll and you realise that one of the characters was voiced by someone familiar that you didn't recognise. For example, Trishka from Bulletstom being voiced by Jennifer Hale.

Ihateregistering1

Mar 30, 2011
Definitely didn't play it just for his voice, but I'll at least try pretty much anything that Tony Jay (R.I.P.) lent his voice too.

Actually, now that I think about it, if Tony Jay is in it you should try them anyway, since he always seems to find his way into great games (Soul Reaver, Planescape: Torment, Sacrifice).

daveman247

Jan 20, 2012
Ihateregistering1 said:
Definitely didn't play it just for his voice, but I'll at least try pretty much anything that Tony Jay (R.I.P.) lent his voice too.

Actually, now that I think about it, if Tony Jay is in it you should try them anyway, since he always seems to find his way into great games (Soul Reaver, Planescape: Torment, Sacrifice).
Too true, he was a great narrator in bards tale. Wouldn't have been the same ^_^

OT: I can say i've done that for films, but not for games. I can appreciate a distinctive voice in them though, and feel the character wouldn't be quite the same without the voice (Examples: Snake, Sam fisher, max payne, garrett etc).

Caiphus

Social Office Corridor
Mar 31, 2010
I've never paid attention to voice actors in video games before, to be honest. Perhaps I should. The guy who did Commander Shepard got a bit grating by the third playthrough of ME2.
Maybe the voiceover guy from Bastion should just do every voiceover ever, including for women*.

*Especially for women.