Have You Played A Repeatitive game... and liked it?

Higurashi

Jan 23, 2008
Yup, hooked on Dragonica right now (we have a user group), and was recently hooked on Torchlight. I will likely switch between those two when I need me some gaming.

Daveman

has tits and is on fire
Jan 8, 2009
does peggle count?

also the combat in PoP:SoT, however levels and story more than made up for it.

Jakkal

Apr 21, 2009
EVE Online, the pure defintion of boredom and repetition. Yet strangely addicting.

geldonyetich

Aug 2, 2006
My weekend was mostly consumed by X[sup]3[/sup] Reunion and later the much-improved Terran Conflict.

X[sup]3[/sup] is a grind - a game to engage in a lot of boring monotony because you anticipate eventually you'll get to the "good" part.

The repetition is definitely there. Right now I'm ordering around a small number of transport ships. I started with one Mercury and a Discoverer (the "trader" start) and now I've got 3 Mercurys (one with Trade Mk3 software), a Discoverer, and a Mercury Hauler after about 14 hours of play.

The "good" part is a substantial "big leagues" experience. Where I've my own space stations and autonomous trade ships making money for me while I snort spaceweed [http://argonopedia.ppcis.org/ware.php?ware=32&sid=026605120feffcc64b884b619e7ae8d6] off the chest of a 47-breasted Boron [http://argonopedia.ppcis.org/race.php?race=2&sid=026605120feffcc64b884b619e7ae8d6] prostitute aboard my luxury death-dealing M1 super carrier... just to exaggerate the apparent capitalistic lust, you understand. At this rate, I'm looking at over a hundred hours of play to get here.

I hate grinds. And yet... there went the weekend. So I guess that, deep down, I like a grind if I think the payoff will be worth it.

butikilledu47

Oct 6, 2009
assassin's creed, tekken games (after getting supremeley good with a few characters), hitman blood money, the older dynasty warriors games. the repetitive factor can be overcome if you genuinely like the game though, so it didn't bother me much.

pendragon177

Jul 12, 2009
Shadow of the Colossus, despite being kind of repetitive was one of the greatest games I ever played.

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
(X) Warriors #. (X)= Dynasty, Samurai, Gundam, etc.

Bladestorm: The Hundred Years War

Assasins Creed

Mario.

Zaldin

Sep 28, 2009
Assassin's Creed, even though the missions (and side-ish missions) were quite repetitive, I enjoyed them, actually feeling a bit like an assassin, or at least got really into the feeling ^^. (No, I did not jump people and stabbed them with hidden switchblades the days after that!)

Skeleon

Nov 2, 2007
Oh, a lot of games I like are repetitive.
Diablo 2, Dungeon Siege 2, Dawn of War Soulstorm...
Most games with a lot of replay value are also repetitive.

WhamBamSam

Oct 29, 2009
The Fire Emblem series. For those of you that aren't familiar with it, it's a turn based strategy/RPG series. Characters that fall in battle are gone forever, which means that a given level (especially in the higher difficulty installments of the series) will be repeated several times to adjust strategy and get everyone out alive. That said, FE5 (a jp only installment for the SNES that was by far the hardest of the series) is probably my favorite game of all time. I absolutely loved the challenge of putting together complex strategies, and it really gave a feeling of accomplishment to the eventual success on whichever try I eventually managed to beat a given level.

Then again, I'm a math major, so I'm a bit odd in the head.

badgersprite

[--SYSTEM ERROR--]
Sep 22, 2009
I don't mind repetition. I guess I have a very high threshold for boredom, or I just like things I'm comfortable with. Part of me kind of likes grind, I guess. I mean, if Final Fantasy battles aren't repetitive, I don't know what is, but I just love it.