Hawken Adds Oculus Rift VR Support

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Hawken Adds Oculus Rift VR Support

The sexy mech shooter Hawken will launch with support for the Oculus Rift virtual reality headset.

It probably goes without saying that one of the most obvious and coolest uses for virtual reality headsets is mech combat games. What could be more immersive, after all, than actually being able to look around inside your cockpit while targeting your enemies with an eye-tracking HUD gunsight? The trouble is that VR headsets tend to suck: They're laggy and imprecise, and ultimately more trouble than their worth. But not so with the Oculus Rift [http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1523379957/oculus-rift-step-into-the-game] headset, which promises to "change the way you think about gaming forever" with an "incredibly wide field of view, high-resolution display and ultra-low latency head tracking."

None of which means a thing without some decent games that take advantage of it. Fortunately for the Oculus Rift guys, it has a couple: the Doom 3 BFG edition, and now Hawken, the free-to-play online mech combat game coming in December.

"Hawken is perfect for Oculus because its environments are well-suited for the level of visual density and distances you're looking it. The shapes that are close and far away lend themselves well to 3D," Meteor Entertainment CEO Mark Long told Forbes. "When you're in a typical first-person shooter, you're a slave to the direction your weapon is pointing, which is unnatural. Being in a Mech, this offers a more realistic virtual reality experience."

The developers are creating a special Hawken cockpit interior for Oculus Rift that will let players look around at the inside of their mechs, and Long said he expects 3D audio with head tracking to be a part of the final retail version of the device. The capabiilities of the Unreal Engine 3, meanwhile, means that the headset will be able to follow "micro-movements" to provide an even deeper sense of immersion.

"We want to integrate Hawken into Oculus with a special version of the game engine through the HMD through post-processing of the point-of-view," he continued. "With Unreal we can dynamically change the point-of-view and make sure that the latency is as low as possible for the viewers to eliminate motion sickness."

Hawken is scheduled to come out on December 12 and, lack of a single-player mode notwithstanding, looks absolutely amazing. Oculus Rift is also slated to hit in December, although the release date isn't quite nailed down at this point, and while it's apparently pretty groovy, at this point it could go either way.

Source: Forbes [http://www.forbes.com/sites/johngaudiosi/2012/08/27/meteor-entertainment-exec-mark-long-explains-the-virtual-reality-of-oculus-rift-and-hawken/]

Alterego-X

Nov 22, 2009
The Rogue Wolf said:
I wonder if they'll put in support for TrackIR [http://www.naturalpoint.com/trackir/] as well. It's the next-best thing, and a fair bit less expensive to boot.
Does that even require special support? TrackIR is pretty much a mouse that is moved by the face. Nudge slightly left, camera turns 90° left. Nudge down, camera turns down to your feet.

lordlillen

Nov 18, 2009
so this game is basicly a gundam simulator now? mech-fu controller + oculus = several kinds of awesome.

Zeren

Aug 6, 2011
The real question is if I could use it with my glasses. If not, don't ever expect me to buy it.

tautologico

e^(i * pi) + 1 = 0
Apr 5, 2010
Zeren said:
The real question is if I could use it with my glasses. If not, don't ever expect me to buy it.
Right now the Oculus Rift prototype for developers can't be used with glasses, but they're aware of this for the consumer versions. Some conditions can be corrected with software, so there wouldn't be a need for glasses (I remember Carmack saying somewhere that he could correct astigmatism with a shader), but it's safe to say they will consider the solutions for the final consumer product, otherwise many people wouldn't buy it.

Zeren

Aug 6, 2011
tautologico said:
Zeren said:
Right now the Oculus Rift prototype for developers can't be used with glasses, but they're aware of this for the consumer versions. Some conditions can be corrected with software, so there wouldn't be a need for glasses (I remember Carmack saying somewhere that he could correct astigmatism with a shader), but it's safe to say they will consider the solutions for the final consumer product, otherwise many people wouldn't buy it.
I don't think a little shading would fix my issue. I cannot function well at all without glasses. I would have to be able to wear them as well as the VR glasses. Unless they are going to allow for that, I physically cannot use them properly.

tautologico

e^(i * pi) + 1 = 0
Apr 5, 2010
Zeren said:
tautologico said:
Zeren said:
I don't think a little shading would fix my issue. I cannot function well at all without glasses. I would have to be able to wear them as well as the VR glasses. Unless they are going to allow for that, I physically cannot use them properly.
Depends on your issue. The lenses in glasses distort the image so that it cancels the distortion the eyes add on, so the image comes out right to the brain. The same image distortion can be done in software, at least in principle. A VR headset like the Oculus Rift also has a set of lenses for projection, so it is possible to adjust it for specific eye issues, at least in theory.

Zeren

Aug 6, 2011
tautologico said:
Zeren said:
tautologico said:
Zeren said:
Depends on your issue. The lenses in glasses distort the image so that it cancels the distortion the eyes add on, so the image comes out right to the brain. The same image distortion can be done in software, at least in principle. A VR headset like the Oculus Rift also has a set of lenses for projection, so it is possible to adjust it for specific eye issues, at least in theory.
I have severe nearsightedness, so it would require some serious lenses. If it somehow could correct my vision and not give my painful headaches, I'm all for it.