Hawken Is Coming To The Big Screen

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
Hawken Is Coming To The Big Screen

Hollywood snaps up the film rights to Adhesive games' oh-so-pretty mech shooter Hawken.

Two-month-old production company DJ2 Entertainment bought film rights to the upcoming multiplayer shooter based on its absolutely stunning trailer [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANeyMWpQXNM&feature=relmfu]. According to DJ2's Dmitri M. Johnson, tiny indie outfit Adhesive Games was hesitant to give up the rights until he spent some time hobnobbing with the developers to prove his gamer credentials. "I assumed someone already got it because it was so huge. Big names were chasing this," he said. "A-list directors and big hit agencies."

It's worth noting that Hawken is an entirely multiplayer affair, which doesn't really lend itself to character development and compelling narrative, but don't worry, DJ2 seems to have that covered. While no writer has been attached to the project yet, Johnson described early outlines of the the story as, "Romeo & Juliet meets District 9" and creative director Dan Jevons laid out a simple plot summary:

It follows two young pilots from separate clans pitted against one another after a devastating virus has covered most of the heavily industrialized planet surface in toxic crystal.

They witness an event that suggests there is more to the nano-virus than meets the eye. Now the race is on to discover the virus' origins and true purpose before their respective clans wipe each other out in a final, climatic battle.
Okay, so it's not exactly Shakespeare (although it is, apparently, at least according to Johnson's earlier quote) it does seem like more than enough justification for the average movie-goer to sit and gawp listlessly at giant robots while they shoot at each other for an hour and a half.

Source: Calgary Herald [http://www.calgaryherald.com/life/Film+rights+nabbed+upcoming+video+game+Hawken/5306356/story.html]

Elementlmage

Aug 14, 2009
It follows two young pilots from separate clans pitted against one another after a devastating virus has covered most of the heavily industrialized planet surface in toxic crystal.
Ok, so Nod and GDI are fighting over Tiberium again, but this time with mechs? What was the compelling part again?

laryri

May 19, 2008
Really? Honestly I think people would be more open to a mech movie from Hollywood if they just made a mech movie instead of buying up the rights to an unreleased game that's only claim to fame is it had a trailer that went viral for its pretty graphics. Sure there's some name recognition but the kind of people who have heard of it aren't the types who will buy into a Hollywood adaptation, not to mention that even of those who have heard of it they've only ever seen that one trailer and mostly forgotten about it.

KDR_11k

Feb 10, 2009
Romance truly gets shoehorned into EVERYTHING. Why do they think men want to watch shitty romance in their movies about shit going boom? And why do they think women would want to watch movies about shit going boom just because some shitty romance story in in there? If you want women to care then make the lead actor someone who women find irresistibly sexy.

Sebenko

Dec 23, 2008
Wow, that sounds like one of those sub-par sci-fi movies that is quickly forgotten.

Torrasque

Aug 6, 2010
Elementlmage said:
Ok, so Nod and GDI are fighting over Tiberium again, but this time with mechs? What was the compelling part again?
I see what you did there.

Blah @ Romeo and Juliet part.
I never liked that story, because Romeo just seemed like a remarkable pussy to me.

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
Alright so first, way to go Adhesive Games. I have no doubt the rights sale brings us a bigger and better Hawken. Now with that aside -

Grey Carter said:
Johnson described early outlines of the the story as, "Romeo & Juliet meets District 9" and creative director Dan Jevons laid out a simple plot summary:

They witness an event that suggests there is more to the nano-virus than meets the eye. Now the race is on to discover the virus' origins and true purpose before their respective clans wipe each other out in a final, climatic battle.
Seriously? Why? You could copy/paste nearly any of the Mechwarrior games or Battletech novels and have an infinitely better premise than that and that's what they are going for. Hell, make the premise these two sides fight... with giant mechs. Done, the end.

martin's a madman

Aug 20, 2008
The romance focused plot seems too easy.

But this is my first time seeing that game's footage, and it looks really good.

Ghengis John

Dec 16, 2007
My initial reaction:

"WHAT?!?!"

After reading the premise this mix of shock and awe gave way to tempered ambivalence. I'm sure this gives Hawken some more money to work with and the movie sounds like your typical Drek but it sure is interesting to see game trailers getting movie rights sold, and for that matter such attention for an indie title.

Danceofmasks

Jul 16, 2010
Torrasque said:
Elementlmage said:

I never liked that story, because Romeo just seemed like a remarkable pussy to me.
That's your reason?
I always thought R&J is silly 'cos it's just a couple of dumb kids (srsly, Juliet's 13) thinking with their crotches and getting themselves dead.

Coffinshaker

Feb 16, 2011
I guess I read the title wrong and was a bit let down to find this wasn't talking about a new tween vampire drama starring Stephen Hawking.

Torrasque

Aug 6, 2010
Danceofmasks said:
Torrasque said:
Elementlmage said:

That's your reason?
I always thought R&J is silly 'cos it's just a couple of dumb kids (srsly, Juliet's 13) thinking with their crotches and getting themselves dead.
Most girls who read classic literature, think Romeo is all that is man, but I hate him. He's so remarkably blind in his love endeavour, ditches his friends, family, everything, just for a girl that he doesn't know anything about; just that she's pretty hot.
Also throw in the fact that Romeo killed himself the instant he saw Juliet 'dead', and you have a really poor excuse for a guy who is given the title "all that is man".

There are many other more interesting Shakespeare stories they could borrow from, but Romeo and Juliet just says "we want to make a sappy love story where everyone dies"

Low Key

May 7, 2009
Sweet! Another movie I won't be losing any sleep over to see. Maybe Tyrese will be in this one too.

Viper1265

Jul 12, 2009
Seeing how Hawken is a purely multiplayer game with hardly a story to adapt into film, I don't see why they didn't just make a mech movie with its own name. Although I guess buying the movie rights gives the developers a little extra cash for the game so even if the film turn out to suck it may have indirectly contributed to a better game.

NotSoNimble

Aug 10, 2010
Hawken is an entirely multiplayer affair, which doesn't really lend itself to character development and compelling narrative.

LOL, this is hilarious! I wonder if Hollywood, as represented by this 2 month old company, is really that excited over these rights to a game that isn't out yet.