Hayao Miyazaki, Ghibli's Anime Legend, Retires at 72

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Hayao Miyazaki, Ghibli's Anime Legend, Retires at 72

The Wind Rises will be the last film ever produced by Miyazaki.

Anyone with even a passing interest in anime has heard the name "Miyazaki". Studio Ghibli's most prominent director, Hayao Miyazaki has produced countless anime classics, including My Neighbor Totoro, Spirited Away, and Howl's Moving Castle. But it now looks like the legendary director's era is coming to an end, as the head of Studio Ghibli has announced at the Venice film festival that Miyazaki is retiring from the studio, aged 72.

"Miyazaki has decided that Kaze Tachinu (The Wind Rises [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wind_Rises]) will be his last film, and he will now retire," said Koji Hoshino, head of Studio Ghibli. Hoshino didn't give any further details, but said that Miyazaki would hold an official briefing in Tokyo regarding his retirement in the near future.

Ghibli were showing Miyazaki's latest (and now, last) work: The Wind Rises at the film festival. The Wind Rises is a fictionalized account of Jiro Horikoshi, the man who created the famous Mitsubishi "Zero" fighter plane used in World War II. While it has attracted universal praise from fans and critics alike, it has unfortunately attracted some unwanted attention from Japanese Nationalists [http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/movies/moviesnow/la-et-mn-the-wind-rises-trailer-miyazaki-20130815,0,314360.story], who have a problem with the film's strong anti-war message.

Miyazaki's works have been incredibly influential not just on Japanese anime, but also Western animation. His films have become so popular in the west, that it is not uncommon for big name actors such as Liam Neeson and Christian Bale to lend their voices to English dubs of Miyazaki films.

The anime legend will surely be missed, but it is good to see him go out on a masterpiece like The Wind Rises.

Source: Straits Times

RJ Dalton

Aug 13, 2009
I feel sad now. And kind of empty.
And also angry that I'm not going to be able to see this one in theaters, owing to the fact that they never release any foreign films in my state.
But mostly sad. This guy is something of a hero to me.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Well shit!

It was bound to happen, but when the moment finally arrives it's still disheartening. One of the last great traditional animators hangs his hat. Ghibli lost its master and commander. *salute*

I'm seriously wondering how that studio is gonna hold up without him though.

piinyouri

Mar 18, 2012
Kind of sad, but it has to happen eventually.

Who's going to send live weaponry to American film studios now? : (

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010

He's not 'allowed' to retire until he finds a suitable replacement.

Okay, that's just wishful thinking, but if Shigeru Miyamoto and Yoko Kanno announce their retirements I'm going to go crawl in a cave and cry.

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
I always thought he would die in the middle of creating one of his works, to see him bow out like this is rather like seeing the passing of an age.

Best of luck Mr Miyazaki.

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
It's sad to see home retire. I hope he finds a suitable replacement make sure the films that Studio Ghibli makes will be excellent. I kinda feel like John Lasseter should take over the role.

I am surprised that Hideaki Anno is voicing the main character.

Aeshi

Dec 22, 2009
Damn, that's a real pity. Studio Ghibli is an old favorite of mine, and I hate to see 'em go :(

idarkphoenixi

May 2, 2011

Well that was a little out of the blue for me.

But considering I first misread this title as Miyazaki 'dying' instead of retiring, I guess things don't look quite so bleak.

schrodinger

Jul 19, 2013

I always knew this day would eventually come, but it's depressing. Ever since I was a kid I've been watching his movies, and the beautiful animation work Studio Ghibli did for his films have always been an inspiration for me. I hope he has a good retirement and knows that his films won't be forgot!

deadish

Dec 4, 2011
Ah man.

At least he is retiring with a bang, Kaze Tachinu I heard is a pretty heavy hitter in more ways than one.

ToastiestZombie

Don't worry. Be happy!
Mar 21, 2011
Well, he's one of the lucky few in the film industry who gets to retire without making one terrible shitfest that everyone hates you for, so there's something.

King of Asgaard

Vae Victis, Woe to the Conquered
Oct 31, 2011
Well, shit, that's a shame.
But at least he's bowing out with dignity, and without any unfinished projects.
Sayonara, Miyazaki-sama.

4RM3D

May 10, 2011
http://nooooooooooooooo.com/

Hayao Miyazaki, you will be missed.

Starik20X6

Oct 28, 2009
*misty-eyed salute* Thank you Mr. Miyazaki, for your immeasurable contribution to the worlds of film, animation, and imagination. Your influence will be felt for generations to come, and your legacy will live on forever!

Leemaster777

Feb 25, 2010
ToastiestZombie said:
Well, he's one of the lucky few in the film industry who gets to retire without making one terrible shitfest that everyone hates you for, so there's something.
That's a good way to look at it.

Sucks that he's retiring, but at least he's leaving on a high note, without any embarrassing blemishes on his head. He had the kind of career that most film makers would cut off all their limbs for.

Best of luck to you, Miyazaki. You've left us all with alot of fond memories.

gunny1993

Jun 26, 2012
Awwww, this man is a legend of writing and artistic direction, the industry will miss him.