Hayao Miyazaki, Ghibli's Anime Legend, Retires at 72

bartholen_v1legacy

A dyslexic man walks into a bra.
Jan 24, 2009
FFFFUUUUUUUUU--- ok, We all knew this was coming, but still... NOOOOOO... wait, this video exemplifies my feelings better than words ever could.
Goodbye Miyazaki-san, you will always be remembered.

Ldude893

Apr 2, 2010
*bows in honor*

Good luck with your retirement, Mr. Miyazaki. You earned every bit of it.

soren7550

Overly Proud New Yorker
Dec 18, 2008
Didn't he retire once before already?

Either way, sad to see him go.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
amusingly the main character in The Wind Rises is voiced by none other than Hideaki Anno, the creator of Evangelion. Anyway, Miyazaki has claimed to retire in the past but this one MIGHT stick due to him being in his seventies. The guy is one of the most important anime creators of all time and his works will be around for the ages.

Mr. Q

Apr 30, 2013
It is a shame such a legend has stepped down from the director's chair, but I respect his choice and I wish Hayao Miyazaki the best. Your films will live on and inspire the next generation of Anime fans and filmmakers.

Vzzdak

May 7, 2010
I find it humourous that someone would complain about the anti-war message in his latest film, where there are a number of Miyazaki's titles that were both gorgeous and anti- war:

Howl's Moving Castle
Naussica: Valley of the Wind
Princess Mononoke
Luputa: Castle in the Sky
Porco Rosso

And a few other titles, though not strictly involvig warfare, did depict the abuse of force and coercion. Anyone complaining about the anti-war message is probably a thug/psychopath of some kind.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
Vzzdak said:
I find it humourous that someone would complain about the anti-war message in his latest film, where there are a number of Miyazaki's titles that were both gorgeous and anti- war:

Howl's Moving Castle
Princess Mononoke
Porco Rosso

And a few other titles, though not strictly involvig warfare, did depict the abuse of force and coercion. Anyone complaining about the anti-war message is probably a thug/psychopath of some kind.
The criticism is probably due to Japan thinking about amending their constitution to allow an actual army instead of just the Self Defense Force. As such, they probably look at it as being critical of that. Also, Japan is probably one of the LEAST bloodthirsty countries around. There's a reason that aggressive people in anime are usually psychos and NOT looked at positively.

Saucycarpdog

Sep 30, 2009
Vzzdak said:

Howl's Moving Castle
Princess Mononoke
Porco Rosso

All of those movies are tame in the anti war message compared to Miyazaki's Grave of the Fireflys. Now that is hard anti-war message. But beware, the movie is quite depressing.

Micalas

Mar 5, 2011
ToastedCorpser4Lunch said:
Saucycarpdog said:
Miyazaki didn't make Grave of the Fireflies.
I think he may have just gotten confused since Studio Ghibli did it and Studio Ghibli might as well be a synonym for Hayao Miyazaki.

antidonkey

Dec 10, 2009
This makes me sad. I love his films. He's had plenty of success though and at 72.....I guess we need to let him rest. Thank you Mr. Miyazaki for all the greats films.

Quiotu

Mar 7, 2008
You know I still feel REALLY sorry about whoever heads Ghibli after he retires. Even if it's his son, it wouldn't matter (and it didn't, because it briefly happened). No one this generation will hold a candle to him, but everyone will be expecting Ghibli to create the same mountain of awesome without the brain behind the stories.

It might be close, but you'll never see Ghibli have the hit streak that it currently has for a long time. And I don't even mind if Goro takes the throne. Tales From Earthsea was apparently bad, but From Up On Poppy Hill was a much better second film... though I'm not sure it counts since he only directed it and Hayao wrote it.

MPerce

May 29, 2011
It was bound to happen soon, but I still feel awfully bitter-sweet about it.

Thanks for everything, Miyazaki. Your work honestly changed the trajectory of my life. May you have just as much success in wherever life takes you now as you've had in animation.

[Kira Must Die]

Incubator
Sep 30, 2009
I guess that's too bad.

Was never that huge a fan of his stuff to muster up much of a reaction. I can't deny his influence and directorial abilities, though. Studio Ghibli just don't do much for me personally.

Bara_no_Hime

Sep 15, 2010
Isn't this like the fifth or sixth time he's "retired" in the past ten years?

If he's actually finished, then yes, this is a sad day. However, if this was like the previous several, he'll be back for "just one more project" in a year or two.

Icehearted

Jul 14, 2009
Don't understand the melancholy. He had a terrific run and has given us so many wonderful stories. I'm grateful for his imaginative works, and I wish him happiness and good health in his retirement.

Nothing lasts forever, but that doesn't mean we don't still have a lot of him to cherish anyway.

Bara_no_Hime said:
Isn't this like the fifth or sixth time he's "retired" in the past ten years?

If he's actually finished, then yes, this is a sad day. However, if this was like the previous several, he'll be back for "just one more project" in a year or two.
If you're right and he's pulling a Kojima I'll also wish him a hemorrhoid.

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
I thought he'd already retired like five times by now. Oh well, atleast he managed to piss off a bunch of war mongering ultra nationalists before he went.

Mr. Happy Face

May 8, 2013
It's a funny thing. I have a list of movies that I'd like to show my kids when I have them. And on it is some of the usual Western geek stuff; Muppet movies, The Goonies, stuff like that. But for their exposure to anime, I always thought I'd start them with Miyazaki. You'd be hard pressed to find someone who can capture beauty and a sense of childlike wonder so well.

Still, this isn't a tragedy. Miyazaki-san has left us with a plethora of wonderful films. And it's selfish to complain about the man retiring to enjoy the well-deserved fruits of his labor. So instead, I'll say this...

Thank you, Miyazaki-san. Thank you for your years of hard work. Thank you for making wonderful films that can touch a bitter, cynical bastard like myself. Here's hoping you enjoy your autumn years.

And if you should ever feel the need to come out of retirement for one more story...well, I won't complain. :)

FootloosePhoenix

Dec 23, 2010
I thought he retired awhile ago, though that may have been just from directing, so it's not a surprise. Still, it's a little sad to think that the world will never see another Hayao Miyazaki masterpiece. At least we're pretty much guaranteed to see new works reminiscent of his style and awe-inspiring vision, like The Secret World of Arrietty (which he co-wrote, but it was directed/produced by an American, if I'm not mistaken) and it seems like his son is following in his footsteps. I remember hearing about From Up on Poppy Hill getting its North American theatrical release some time ago and I got very excited upon learning it was Miyazaki's son's directing debut, though unfortunately I still haven't gotten the opportunity to watch it.

At any rate, Miyazaki-sama certainly deserves his retirement and if I could, I'd wish him all the best with the remainder of his (hopefully long and continuously prosperous) life.

Zetatrain

Sep 8, 2010
Country
United States
Vzzdak said:

Howl's Moving Castle
Princess Mononoke
Porco Rosso

True, but none of those films are necessarily critical of any specific event or country just war in general.

Now I haven't seen "The Wind Rises", so what I say is pure assumption, but given the fact that its about the man who designed a famous WWII fighter plane I wouldn't be surprised if there was some criticism specifically directed at Japan's militaristic mentality in WWII and Pre-WWII.

From what I what I understand Japans's actions during those times is still a touchy subject over there.

Saucycarpdog said:
All of those movies are tame in the anti war message compared to Miyazaki's Grave of the Fireflys. Now that is hard anti-war message. But beware, the movie is quite depressing.
Ignoring the fact that he didn't make "Grave of the Fireflies", the reason why it probably didn't catch any flak for being anti-war is because it showed the plight of the Japanese people near the end of WWII. Would be kinda hard to be critical of a movie about the suffering of your own people and not come off as a dick for complaining about its anti-war message.

Anyway, if he really is retiring for good this time then it is indeed a sad day, but as they say, "all good things must come to an end". "Castle in the Sky" was probably my first exposure to anime and still remains one of my all time favorites. Farewell, Hayao Miyazaki you will be missed, but it was fun while it lasted.