HD Half-Life Remake Finally Releases This Month

IanDavis

Blue Blaze Irregular 1st Class
Aug 18, 2012
HD Half-Life Remake Finally Releases This Month

After many years, the fan-made Half-Life conversion, Black Mesa Source will be available to the public.

Half Life 3 might be MIA, but that doesn't mean that the adventures of Gordon Freeman have to end. On September 14, the highly anticipated fan remake of the original Half Life, Black Mesa Source, will be available for download. According to project lead Carlos Montero, this first release will cover everything from the initial tram ride to the Lambda Core. Both the later levels in the alien world of Xen and the classic deathmatch mode will arrive at a later time. Even so, Montero promised that Black Mesa Source will deliver a "complete-feeling 8-10 hour experience with a solid ending".

For the past seven years, the Black Mesa Source project has been painstakingly remaking the 1998 classic as a mod for the more recent Half Life 2. An estimated 40 talented modders have been slaving away, remaking textures, levels, and voice work in higher resolution (and avoiding copyright violations).

Meanwhile, the anxiety-prone among us can take deep breaths and stare at the helpful countdown timer until the proper day dawns.

For an emotional taste of what's to come, <a href=http://www.blackmesasource.com/soundtrack.html>the entire Black Mesa soundtrack is available for choose-your-price purchase right now.

Source: <a href=http://forums.blackmesasource.com/showthread.php?p=480683#post480683>Black Mesa Source

Chimichanga

Jun 27, 2009
Hole - E - Shit.

I have waited eight years for this. I thought it was vaporware and even then, checked the site weekly. I have so much anticipation right now.

This has just made my day week.

No, fuck that.

This has made my month.

So happy right now.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
Wow... they actually re-did... everything.

This is like the most ambitious job application ever.

"Hey games industry, hire us, look we made this entire game all by ourselves."

JadeWah

Nov 4, 2008
Treblaine said:

If memory recalls, I believe one (or several) actually got hired. They were in touch with Valve during the process of the making.

Yeah, been waiting a few years for this. When they totally went under the radar 3-4 years back I thought they would never have finished it. Thank god i was wrong ;P

-Drifter-

Jun 9, 2009
It seems that everything Half-Life related takes forever to come out, official or otherwise. Take, for example, Freeman's Mind, which has been going for five years and is barely half-way over.

Still, at least this actually did get finished, and it looks pretty sharp.

R.Nevermore

Mar 28, 2008
The last two levels will arrive at a later time? How much later exactly? 2 years? I hate to be a douche because I've been pining over this for ages but I'm not particularly keen on it being an unfinished product...

Oskuro

Nov 18, 2009
I'd really love for more classic games to get this exact treatment.

Steve the Pocket

Mar 30, 2009
When I think about the implications of them releasing the unfinished game, it's pretty disturbing. This mod has been delayed for years and years, and they've said before that they could have had what passes for a finished product available by now by cutting a few corners, but decided to keep pushing on. Only now are they deciding "Screw it, let's just give 'em what we have so far." The rest of the game must still be really far from finished for them to be willing to make that decision.

Bindal

May 14, 2012
Steve the Pocket said:
The rest of the game must still be really far from finished for them to be willing to make that decision.
"The rest" would be something, which took like 30 minutes of playtime in the original Half-Life - while also being the least liked chapters of all. Obviously, they have to work on it (and apparently, they overwork it heavily).
Beside, they wanted to release an update later anyway, containing the Multiplayer. So, they just moved one part of the mod from one release to another.

bigfatcarp93

Mar 26, 2012
GLEE! This is fantastic news. Damn, I'm having a good month.

I wonder what Yahtzee will think...

Wolfram23

Mar 23, 2004
Just to be clear, this is a Half Life 2 mod that remakes Half Life 1?

I played HL1 so long ago, and I never owned it, but I did play HL2 and it's episodes when I bought the Orange Box.

Anyway, last night I was browsing Steam and thought "gee, I should get HL1!". I nearly pulled the trigger, but first I decided to search for any graphic mods, and I stumbled on the Black Mesa site with the countdown timer, but it didn't really give any info about what it was.

Soooo... HL2 mod to play HL1 again in HD = massive win. Won't have to purchase HL1 now either.

Bindal

May 14, 2012
Wolfram23 said:
Just to be clear, this is a Half Life 2 mod that remakes Half Life 1?

I played HL1 so long ago, and I never owned it, but I did play HL2 and it's episodes when I bought the Orange Box.

Anyway, last night I was browsing Steam and thought "gee, I should get HL1!". I nearly pulled the trigger, but first I decided to search for any graphic mods, and I stumbled on the Black Mesa site with the countdown timer, but it didn't really give any info about what it was.

Soooo... HL2 mod to play HL1 again in HD = massive win. Won't have to purchase HL1 now either.
Well, HL1 had two addons (three, if you count Decay for PS2), which - while both in work by another team, Tripmine studios - won't be released in the near future. Plus, there are TONS of HL1-mods out there, which you miss out (Earth Defense Force, Sven Coop,...)

Korak the Mad

Nov 19, 2010
I've never actually played the original Half-Life, but I love Half-Life 2 and the episodes. I can soon play the original in HD. I can't wait, and next Friday at noon, it will be mine.

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
Mahorfeus said:
Wait, they left out Xen?

Any chance we can keep it that way?
No, the team stated their intention to remake the ENTIRE game in the source engine. However there have been some talk of them trying to improve the Xen levels somehow. (I suspect that is the reason behind the current release without those parts of the game).

Quiet Stranger

Feb 4, 2006
Can anyone recommend me a good (cheap) graphics card? Mine burnt out a while ago, my graphics card was a NVIDIA GeForce 9500 GS. I just need something of that same power (might just get the same one)

OT: I CAN'T WAIT! Though if I don't get a graphics card soon it's going be no good to me!

vallorn

Tunnel Open, Communication Open.
Nov 18, 2009
bigfatcarp93 said:
GLEE! This is fantastic news. Damn, I'm having a good month.

I wonder what Yahtzee will think...
He tweeted his annoyance that it had to finally appear after he did his retro review of Half Life 1.

oh and he also does hilarious retro LP's with his Australian friend that he links through his twitter so follow him like a madman.

back on topic 2 things.
1 When I heard the news I punched myself in the gut to make sure I want dreaming then shouted for joy (and pain) when I didn't wake up.

2. The Xen Levels: I kinda enjoyed them. But they are such a MASSIVE tonal shift from the rest of the game that I think its worth releasing like this. Hell I don't think I would mind the game ending completely as Gordon is teleported to Xen.

SayHelloToMrBullet

Sep 6, 2011
Treblaine said:

As far as I know they haven't quite finished yet. Apparently they still have to do Zen or whatever it's called.