HD Remake of Beyond Good & Evil Coming to XBLA and PSN

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
HD Remake of Beyond Good & Evil Coming to XBLA and PSN

Years after its original release, Beyond Good and Evil is going to get a second chance to wow audiences.

While Beyond Good & Evil got decent reviews when it was released in 2003, it never sold particularly well, and has been something of a cult classic. That may all change however, as the game gets an HD makeover for Xbox Live and PSN.

The remake will have more detailed character models and textures, as well as a remastered soundtrack. It will also have trophies and achievements added, as well as online leaderboards. The actual gameplay and story are said to be untouched, so if you've got fond memories of playing the game, you're going to find it all very familiar. Just a bit prettier.

In BG&E you played as Jade, a freelance photographer whose home is being attacked by aliens known as the DomZ. Jade finds that there is a lot more to the attacks than meets the eye, and soon becomes embroiled in the conspiracy at the heart of the war. The gameplay was a mixture of action and stealth, as well as some vehicle sections. There were also puzzles to solve and bonus cash to be made photographing the wildlife of Jade's home planet of Hillys.

There's currently no release date set for Beyond Good & Evil apart from some time in 2011. If you can't wait that long, the regular version of the game is available on Steam [http://store.steampowered.com/app/15130/] right now.

Source: IGN [http://uk.xboxlive.ign.com/articles/112/1124445p1.html]

luvd1

Jan 25, 2010
Oh yes. At last. Perhaps this time this game will get the sales it so deserves.

Blue Musician

Mar 23, 2010
I love this game, but I fear the HD remake would not bring the same sense of style and atmosphere the first one managed (to be honest, the hasn't been much games like it until The Void kicked in), and although I seriously like the idea of a remastered soundtrack I think I shall keep to my original 2003 copy for now. But we'll see how it turns out.

shirin238

Aug 19, 2008
I bought it on Steam but I never got it to work properly (dual core laptop apparently) and I don't want people telling me what I should have done thank you very much.
Then I imported it from America (I live in Europe) to realise I need a boot disk to play it so that took some time and money as well x]

Why after all that am I still considering buying it on the PSN?..

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
I am going to sit here and try and convince myself that they are doing this as part of a wind-up for the release of Beyond Good and Evil 2.

Blimey

Nov 10, 2009
Excitement is excitement.

AND I HAS MUCH!

Seriously, this was one of the best adventure/action games of the previous console generation, bar none.

RedBeta22

Aug 28, 2008
GodDammit, I've already Bought Beyond Good and Evil 3 times already! PS2, PC CD and Steam, cant wait to buy it again! Weres BG&E 2 Ubi?

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
I've heard of this game and it looks interesting. I might get it on PSN rather than STEAM since it feels more like a "console-y" kind of game, though I didn't know it was on STEAM until now.

Pandora92

Apr 2, 2010
I absolutely adored this game when it first came out, and I'm definitely going to pick this up and play through it as soon as it comes out, but I'm pretty bummed there's been no word of the re-textured version coming to the PC in the future. :|

Still, at leave they haven't denied it...

TilMorrow

Diabolical Party Member
Jul 7, 2010
I still have the xbox version of the game on my shelf and loved the game however don't know whether I would buy it again on XBLA unless it costs less then 15 australian dollars.

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
Jumplion said:
I've heard of this game and it looks interesting. I might get it on PSN rather than STEAM since it feels more like a "console-y" kind of game, though I didn't know it was on STEAM until now.
Good choice. I got the game on GOG and had to program my Gamepad in order to play it properly.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
Lvl 64 Klutz said:
Jumplion said:
Good choice. I got the game on GOG and had to program my Gamepad in order to play it properly.
Platforms of any kind, action adventure games (specifically ones involving platformers), some racers, and some 3rd person games are ones you should probably avoid on PC. The analog stick gives far more superiority in precision movement than a keyboard. While for a keyboard, you have to repeatedly press a single key just to get into position, an analog stick can slowly move you to the right position without overshooting.

Some might say "you can program your gamepad to the computer, why not do that?" and I'll say "I'm lazy. And I don't want to fuck up my computer even more."

Virgil

#virgil { display:none; }
Legacy
Jun 13, 2002
Zhukov said:
I am going to sit here and try and convince myself that they are doing this as part of a wind-up for the release of Beyond Good and Evil 2.
That would be nice. Hopefully this will do well, and be taken as proof that people actually want a BG&E2.

Nile McMorrow said:
I still have the xbox version of the game on my shelf and loved the game however don't know whether I would buy it again on XBLA unless it costs less then 15 australian dollars.
I don't know what it translates to in AU$, but I bet it'll cost 1200 MS Points. That's what 'big' releases tend to be.

Jumplion said:
Some might say "you can program your gamepad to the computer, why not do that?" and I'll say "I'm lazy. And I don't want to fuck up my computer even more."
Newer games that are designed to use the Xbox controller as a PC gamepad actually work very well, with no configuration needed. I played through The Last Remnant on the PC with an Xbox controller, and you couldn't tell the difference between it and a console game.