HDMI vs Component for Xbox360?

MetalDooley

Cwipes!!!
Feb 9, 2010
Country
Ireland
So I recently got off my ass and got myself a HDTV(I know years late to the party as usual).Frankly having used it now for a few days I'm wondering how I was content with SD for so long but I digress.I'm using the Component cable that came supplied with the 360 and as I'm not much of a tech guy I have a few questions

1)Should I get a HDMI cable?Is there a significant difference between HDMI and Component on 360?

2)Will any HDMI cable do?Like will a cheap 3rd party cable do or should I go for the more expensive 1st party gear?

Any help will be much appreciated

MrTub

Mar 12, 2009
Any hdmi cable will do. There is not really any difference between a cable for 5-10$ and a cable for 50-60$ (as long as both are the same version of hdmi)

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Tubez said:
Any hdmi cable will do. There is not really any difference between a cable for 5-10$ and a cable for 50-60$ (as long as both are the same version of hdmi)
The only difference is that cheaper ones have a higher failure rate. Doesn't matter too much if it lasts you 6-months since another 5$ is still less than 50$.

OP: HDMI is said to look crisper than the old-school HD cables for 360, but I've never really noticed much of a difference. If anything its easier to plug in :p

MetalDooley

Cwipes!!!
Feb 9, 2010
Country
Ireland
Tubez said:
Ok good to know.What about my first question though?Is there much of a difference between HDMI and Component to warrant getting one in the first place?

GoaThief

Reinventing the Spiel
Feb 2, 2012
1) As long as you have the HD component cable and not the SD composite cable there won't be much difference whilst playing games, but I have heard of video not playing back at HD resolutions (though not suffered from it myself).

2) As HDMI is digital you may as well opt for the cheapest cable you can find, but this would depend on the type of 360 you have - only the later models (from 2007 onwards) have an HDMI port so you will have to buy an adapter or stick with component.

Personally I use HDMI on both my Elite and S as it saves on messy cabling. However, I did use component on my launch 360 until it died a red death.

MrTub

Mar 12, 2009
MetalDooley said:
Tubez said:
Ok good to know.What about my first question though?Is there much of a difference between HDMI and Component to warrant getting one in the first place?
Well I can only speak from personal experience and I didnt really notice any difference, only reason I prefer to use hdmi is that it's "smaller" and I had a hdmi cable to spare

Fat Hippo

Prepare to be Gnomed
Legacy
May 29, 2009
I used the standard Xbox 360 cable for a while, and then went out and got an HDMI cable. I personally thought the improvement was tremendous. All that text that used to be hard to read was suddenly perfectly clear. And it was glorious.

So yeah, get yourself a cheap HDMI cable, it's worth it.

This was on an HDTV by the way.

GoaThief

Reinventing the Spiel
Feb 2, 2012
Fat_Hippo said:
I used the standard Xbox 360 cable for a while
Sounds like you had the standard component cable (with white, red and yellow plugs only) instead of the HD composite cable (same as component with an additional red, green and blue).

Fat Hippo

Prepare to be Gnomed
Legacy
May 29, 2009
GoaThief said:
Fat_Hippo said:
Sounds like you had the standard component cable (with white, red and yellow plugs only) instead of the HD composite cable (same as component with an additional red, green and blue).
Yep. And from the OP, that's what I understood he was using, since he said he was using the "Component cable that came supplied with the 360." Or is an HD composite cable standard for the Xbox 360s they sell now?

Oct 2, 2010
Fat_Hippo said:
GoaThief said:
Fat_Hippo said:
Yep. And from the OP, that's what I understood he was using, since he said he was using the "Component cable that came supplied with the 360." Or is an HD composite cable standard for the Xbox 360s they sell now?
Sounds like you both have your terminology mixed up. "Composite" usually refers to the single yellow cord that carries both lumma and chroma on the same channel. "Component" usually refers to YPbPr (green/blue/red) cables.
The confusion might come from the fact that many 360s do come with just composite cables. Many, however, came with cables like these [http://www.amazon.com/Xbox-360-Component-HD-AV-Cable/dp/B000B6MLPU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1328308716&sr=8-1] that have both composite and component connections.

In NTSC regions, composite cables are only ever used for 480i 30fps, or occasional 240p on older consoles. Component can carry up to 1080p.

//================

For 360 use, component is, I think, fine. Some HDTVs don't accept 1080p over YPbPr cables, but most do.

Loop Stricken

Covered in bees!
Jun 17, 2009
I'd go with the HDMI cable, for ease of use if nothing else.
Can't honestly recall what my games looked like when I wasn't using one, so i can't opine on that.

Scrustle

Apr 30, 2011
1) Yes, using HDMI gives a far sharper, crisper and more vibrant picture. Component looks washed out and dull in comparison.

2) More expensive is probably better, but I have one that only costed £10 and it gives a great picture as it is. I don't think it's necessary to get a super expensive one. The picture quality probably has more to do with the quality of your TV than what HDMI cable you pick.

GoaThief

Reinventing the Spiel
Feb 2, 2012
Tupolev said:
Sounds like you both have your terminology mixed up.
No, my bad I made a typo of sorts - was in a rush to get out and was typing from my phone. I have it the right way around in my first post and just came in to correct myself after seeing my PM quote. Doh!

Thanks for doing it anyway.

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
See, I thought that the composite/component looked worse on the TV but that just might be me...

http://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-High-Speed-HDMI-Cable-Meters/dp/B003L1ZYYM/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1328312186&sr=8-2

This is the HDMI cable I use for my PS3 and I think it looks great (notice it's a lovely $7.99 AND eligible for super shipping!). Granted, I've never bought a $500 monster cable but from what I've been told, it really doesn't matter.

GoAwayVifs

Aug 5, 2011
Scrustle said:
2) More expensive is probably better, but I have one that only costed £10 and it gives a great picture as it is. I don't think it's necessary to get a super expensive one. The picture quality probably has more to do with the quality of your TV than what HDMI cable you pick.
Nope. Buy the cheapest cable you can. HDMI has the same quality no matter the price.

Jingle Fett

Sep 13, 2011
Personally I like HDMI for the fact that not only is the video quality slightly better, but it's everything (including audio) wrapped into one convenient little cable. Easier to connect/disconnect stuff and fewer cables.

My dad recently bought a new HDTV and the $9 HDMI cables at Fry's work perfectly fine, don't go with the expensive $100 ones, not worth it.

MaxiP62

Jul 10, 2011
HDMI is much, much better, I recently had to downgrade to component to use a capture card and I can really tell the difference.

MetalDooley

Cwipes!!!
Feb 9, 2010
Country
Ireland
Ok just to clarify for people this is the cable I'm using that came with the 360(thank you to Tupolev for the link)

Anyway the general consensus seems to be that there's not a massive difference between the 2 so I'll probably stick with what I have for the time being,maybe pick up a cheap HDMI cable next time I have some spare cash lying around

Thank for the help folks

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Get any HDMI cable - it does look better, and you can buy them for cheap. If you're paying over £10 for an HDMI cable, you're being conned.