HDTV Processing Lag: The Silent Killer

Cousin_IT

Feb 6, 2008
roekenny said:
Cousin_IT said:
im gonna go give my CRT TVs a hug now
*hugs obsolete but still perfectly adequate technology*
Why took me so long to get rid of my old CRT for PC and got my folks 32 inch TV for my 360 as so dam reliable. Nowadays monitors are 5 and 2 ms what nothing so good time to upgrade.
My 21inch CRT TV cost £40. a 21inch LCD HDTV would cost £150-200+
its gonna be a long time before I upgrade :D

Sevre

Old Hands
Apr 6, 2009
I have a HDTV but for games I'll stick to the CRT,the TFT and the laptop.

KDR_11k

Feb 10, 2009
Remember how some fools tried to sell us terminals as the new gaming solution? AKA OnLive? That's even more lag.

We're using a PC monitor with HD inputs, I haven't noticed any lag so far. There's a post-processing option that's a sharpen filter but that only triggers on parts of the image that have stayed still for a moment (and I've zeroed it anyway because it distorts the image).

Zer_

Rocket Scientist
Feb 7, 2008
Signa said:
Baby Tea said:
For instance, mine says it has a '5ms response time', like an LCD monitor.
I always understood that spec to deal with the time it takes to clear the LCD, and show a new color. If you remember the original LCD screens had a lot of ghosting on them. You couldn't watch anything fast motion, because it was ghost like hell. Many early 90's laptops used them, and just moving your mouse would reveal a lot of the ghosting issue.
Sorta. Each company uses its own measurement for response time (milliseconds always stays the same we know this) but what they actually measure is different.

Some companies measure GtG (Grey to Grey) response time which is basically how fast the screen goes from one shade of grey to the next. All this crap makes it so that reading the box for an informed purchase is completely useless.

CRT monitors are better overall for gaming. During the 2005 CPL championship, they used LCD displays and some of the Quake III players refused to compete on them. Naturally the winner of the tournament was someone who had been practicing on an LCD.

Players can adjust to the delay themselves by simply practicing as I have, but for an even playing ground sticking to cRT in tournament is generally preferred by most professional gamers.

Kojiro ftt

Apr 1, 2009
This is the reason I took back my Samsung DLP I bought back in 2005. It was horrible. An easy way to test for it is to play the audio from the system straight through your stereo (do not route through the TV). It will be out of sync with the TV picture and audio.

Most newer HDTVs don't have this problem, though I would recommend researching it before purchasing and testing the heck out of it when you get it. Also, higher end brands are less likely to have the problem. IIRC Sony has never had this problem.

fyrh56

Apr 2, 2008
roekenny said:
Cousin_IT said:
im gonna go give my CRT TVs a hug now
*hugs obsolete but still perfectly adequate technology*
Why took me so long to get rid of my old CRT for PC and got my folks 32 inch TV for my 360 as so dam reliable. Nowadays monitors are 5 and 2 ms what nothing so good time to upgrade.
Do not confuse "Response Time" with "Input Lag". My current screen has a 2ms response time but with every post-processing gimmick turned on, it has nearly 200ms input lag. It took some serious tweaking to turn this thing down to 10ms input lag.

Response Time is the time it takes a single pixel to shift colors. Input Lag is the time between receiving an image, processing it, and finally showing it on-screen.

Kojiro ftt said:
(...)Also, higher end brands are less likely to have the problem. IIRC Sony has never had this problem.
Higher-end brands are the most affected, Sony included. Generic models usually place no budget on the software capabilities of their screens, whereas higher-end brands do. Sony and Samsung TV's are well known for having a plethora of filters in place.