He played a game, now he thinks he's an expert...

MercenaryCanary

Mar 24, 2008
CTU_Agent24 said:
We went shooting the other day (his first time), and he tried firing a .22 (simple Bolt rifle), he could barely hold the thing up on his own, he didn't realize how heavy REAL weapons were Lol.
Just a random question, but how much did that thing weigh? I know .22's are light, mainly because I own an AR-7 (Yay!) but... I don't really have what we call muscles. If a nerd who always chooses to either target practice, or stay on the computer can hold that thing at the young age I am at, well... So. How much does the rifle weigh?

MiserableOldGit

Apr 1, 2009
Your absolutely right - I'm a master marksman online, but wouldnt pretend to have a clue about weapons in real life- a fact I'm actually quite proud of.
You do get some interesting parrallels between the virtual and real world though; on Brothers in Arms I'd ditch my tommy gun in favour of a german MP5 - my military nut friend later told me that troops in WW2 often did this.

Cid Silverwing

Paladin of The Light
Jul 27, 2008
Imitating gameplay models in real life armed conflicts = BAD IDEA.

Vaguely copying them = Good idea.

On topic - I've never had that happen. Not yet anyway.

Vrex360

Badass Alien
Mar 2, 2009
My friend (anonymous) has this big thing going with military and Ninjas right now. He's obsessed and what's worse in recent years his morality has just been slipping away. He is pro Earth, I am pro Alien. He is Ninja, I am lizardman warrior... we both vote different parties and have different views.

The_Prophet

Sep 3, 2008
Lord Krunk said:
10-year old American Halo fanboys.

Kids who play Counter Strike who say OMFG H4x! every time you kill them.

And... well, I'll leave the rest to you guys.
Yeah, this.

Raddragon

Dec 23, 2008
Fire Daemon said:
I'm not sure about games but after 300 came out everyone became an expert on Sparta.
Thats madness!

odisious15 said:
God after that movie came out I had to listen to friends and others who "thought" they knew anything about history say things that made my soul die a little bit.
That was a weak part of your soul. You are stronger now.

I feel like I can easily use a sword, but I'd most likely end up cutting my own arms off 8D

irrelevantnugget

Mar 25, 2008
ThePoodonkis said:
During a game of paintball, a friend who played Gears of War thought he was able to roll like in the game. He dived forward and went face first into a tree.
lol'd.

I had something similar... went to do paintball with the class, and everybody was expecting me to be some kind of überpaintballer, even though I'd never done it before.
First round, I took out half of the other team, then ran out of ammo and had to take myself out of the game for that round. After that, I became top priority for the other team, didn't get much kills after that first round (still, at least one per round though).

It wasn't because I played a lot of FPS'es that I was so adept at it, though. It was because I had been playing Brothers in Arms, and had a major tactical knowhow advantage over them. Then of course, the value of that gets lost when the entire enemy team is focussing on you and you only. Fun times.

sooperman

Partially Awesome at Things
Feb 11, 2009
scumofsociety said:
Just to make the OP feel better about his shooting credentials, a .303 is a pretty powerful round, roughly equivalent to 7.62x51mm NATO (which has about 6 feet of flesh penetration on average), a lot more so than 5.56mm thats used in most standard assault rifles or 7.62x39mmR.
Lolwut

I've played plenty of Call of Duty/Battlefield and used real guns, so I'm not an expert but yeah I'm pretty knowledgeable =p

Zombie_Fish

Opiner of Mottos
Mar 20, 2009
-Orgasmatron- said:
Jonathan Hexley said:
No one? No one at all?
Fine, as usual, I'll make the reference to one of my favourite games.
GUITAR HERO.
This is the reason haters bash the series so much. Some smug twat plays it, and thinks he can actually play a real guitar. Little does he realise that if he tried to play one, he wouldn't know how to play Smoke on the Water's riff...
... Not that I know how to play all of it, but I'm learning, honest.
I've never known someone like tis in real life, but it's bound to have happened in the past, possibly to a man called John S. Retard or something.
LMAO my brothers house mate was really good at Guitar Hero, one day my brother came home and his house mate was sitting there with a brand new Gibson SG and a huge Marshall amp trying to play One, I believe his words where "What's wrong with this guitar? It's not like the game?"
Fail, mainly because I can at least play a bit of One (I'm guessing you mean the Metallica song). Did anyone try explaining to him that a real guitar has more than five frets and more than one string.

Doesn't work other way round either. The group Rush tried playing one of their own songs on guitar hero and failed epically. The problem with guitar hero is that whilst they can make it look as much like a guitar as possible, they can't make it a guitar. It would just be far too complicated. As a result, they have a "Guitar", and after people play said "Guitar" they think that they can play a real guitar, when the two are completely different.

EDIT: I've now seen a video of One on Guitar Hero. It's nothing like the original song.

Same thing happens with cars/ racing games as well.

Dahemo

Aug 16, 2008
Fire Daemon said:
I'm not sure about games but after 300 came out everyone became an expert on Sparta.
I've got a Uni module on classically inspired film, one of the less sharp people in our group thought that 300 was a historically accurate depiction of events and of the Spartan state, a haven of peace and equality. I shot her down straight away by pointing out that the 'real' Sparta was a ruthlessly militaristic oligarchy where slaves outnumbered citizens 6 to 1 and they lived in constant fear of a serf uprising...

AlphaOmega

Oct 10, 2008
Abako said:
Oh wow how bout the kid who beats starcraft's campaign (or some other rather simple RTS) and thinks their a brilliant strategist. I had a freshman back in my senior year of highschool convinced he was awsome at strategy cause of a game and so he challenged me to a game of chess. Being the nerd that I seem to be, I decided to just see how bad he was and beat him with the 4 move checkmate (bishop/queen combo). It was hilarious.
good old what we call here "Scheep watcher checkmate (herdersmat)"

ThatJagoGuy

Feb 11, 2009
One of my pet hates is people who play games like Gran Turismo and NFS, then drive like tw@s in their crappy little cars.

Ultimathul

Professional Artillery Commander
Apr 18, 2009
My "friends" yelled at me when i said that games werent realistic, this happened when they where playing cod4 hardcore, they said that " this is the most realistic game EVAH lolololololol!" and i said that when you shoot someone in real life they lay down and slowly dies, suffering enormously from bullet wound across his/her body.

goater24

Feb 5, 2008
Sonnythemobster said:
lol. my friend Matt is sort of like that except for he acts like he knows everything about everything even after watching the smallest bit on something. He also reads alot of books and thinks he is a literary master... I read some of his stuff and its total rubbish.
Yeah I have a housemate who opitomises that. He will watch a small amount of something before engaging in conversation with poeple who have say seen the whole series. Not only will he make grand sweeping statements but he will also enter into arguements vainly trying to back himself up. I find that kind of action utterly pointless!

Ashbax

Jan 7, 2009
Copter400 said:
Decoy Doctorpus said:
Ace Jackson said:
My friend plays the Naruto: Ultimate Ninga games a lot, read a few japanese books, and looks up samurai swords on the internet and thinks he's a ninja. It gets pretty annoying when he's all like "I just ninja'd you, I'm so badass". I can't wait till he goes to Japan and gets his ass kicked by a REAL ninja and wakes up the next day with a throwing star in his face and all of his possessions sold on the black japanese market.
You're either the stupidest person I've ever met on the internet or my new satire god.
My thoughts exactly.
/bow + /hail

On that note there was a guy in my class when I was at university, who played cod4/5 and always tried talking to me about different weapons and techniques.

("If I was just driving somewhere and a terrorist tried suicide bombing me, id M9 him in the head!"
"yeah, becuase theres totally terrorists in ireland >.> And you have an M9 since when...?"
"...")
I however, got work experience in the local historical and modern armory, so I actually know a bit about guns, not an expert, but more than some twat's... this is a good thread, because I find people like this all the time.