HeartGold and SoulSilver's Pokéwalker Requires Thousand Mile Trek

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
HeartGold and SoulSilver's Pokéwalker Requires Thousand Mile Trek

If you want to unlock every bonus in SoulSilver [http://www.amazon.com/Pokemon-HeartGold-Version-Nintendo-DS/dp/B0038MVFYC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1278968691&sr=1-1]'s Pokéwalker accessory, you're going to need a few new pairs of Keds first.

Pokémon HeartGold and SoulSilver are sold with an included Pokéwalker, which is a pedometer that can provide neat extras in the Pokémon games. Pokéfans can put Pokémon in the device and also use it to find items along certain "routes." According to Bulbapedia [http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Pok%C3%A9walker], unlocking every route in the Pokéwalker can only be done by walking a minimum of 1,000 miles.

Routes are unlocked by accumulating an in-Pokéwalker currency of sorts called Watts, acquired through walking. For example, one route called the "Quiet Cave" requires that the player have 100,000 Watts. Assuming that the average person will take 2,000 steps per mile, and doesn't use any Watts to look for items or other Pokéwalker activities, we reach the number of 1,000 required miles. That means it would take 200 days at an average of four miles per day to unlock everything.

This really is a great way to ensure that major Pokéfans never trade in their HeartGolds and SoulSilvers, though I almost expect many people to have discovered some way around the 1,000 mile number already. Mark my words, I see elaborate Pokéwalker-cheating contraptions on YouTube in the near future. While it might seem like Nintendo is doing gamers a favor by forcing us to get some exercise, I can't help but feel bad for the 10-year-old kids out there that are already walking in circles in their living rooms, appearing somewhat crazy to their parents, just to be able to find some kind of special Pokéthing.

(Via: ONM [http://www.officialnintendomagazine.co.uk/article.php?id=15941])

A Weary Exile

Aug 24, 2009
I guess this is Gamefreak's way of telling their fans that they're fat. :)

EDIT: This is a joke, don't take this the wrong way. I love Poke'mon as well.

Nimbus

Token Irish Guy
Oct 22, 2008
I had something similar as a kid. I didn't know you were supposed to actually walk, so I spent hours and hours shaking the damn thing. By hand. Seriously.

Aenir

Mar 26, 2009
I agree on the "elaborate Pokéwalker-cheating contraptions on YouTube in the near future".
It'll happen.

Loop Stricken

Covered in bees!
Jun 17, 2009
At last, an excuse for my 1am jaunts around the neighbourhood!

Okay, not a fantastic excuse but nonetheless.

Loop Stricken

Covered in bees!
Jun 17, 2009
Nimbus said:
I had something similar as a kid. I didn't know you were supposed to actually walk, so I spent hours and hours shaking the damn thing. By hand. Seriously.
Most men have something like that.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
*puts it in paint can shaker or less intense shaking device that won't break it*

Done.

Heart of Darkness

The final days of His Trolliness
Jul 1, 2009
1,000 miles? For the love of Arceus, that's a lot.

Well, at least I already have 250 or so Watts. I'm nearly there! XD

Rosen2012

Mar 10, 2010
Step one: Attach pokewalker to my dog.
Step two: Let my dog out in the back yard.
Step three: Rake in them Watts baby.

Also my job requires I move around on my feet all day, so I could just wear it to work.

Rosen2012

Mar 10, 2010
Onyx Oblivion said:
Rosen2012 said:
Onyx Oblivion said:
*puts it in paint can shaker*

Done.
You'll probably break it that way...
You know what I meant, though. CHEAT IT!
Of course. I fully believe in cheating on the pokewalker. ...hmn, I wonder if I can hook it onto my friend's two year old. She never stops moving.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Rosen2012 said:
Onyx Oblivion said:
Rosen2012 said:
Onyx Oblivion said:
*puts it in paint can shaker*

Done.
You'll probably break it that way...
You know what I meant, though. CHEAT IT!
Of course. I fully believe in cheating on the pokewalker. ...hmn, I wonder if I can hook it onto my friend's two year old. She never stops moving.
Pretend its jewelry for the little girl!

G1eet

Mar 25, 2009
Nimbus said:
Ahh, beat me to it. Tumble dryers also work well on low heat.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
Loop Stricken said:
At last, an excuse for my 1am jaunts around the neighbourhood!

Okay, not a fantastic excuse but nonetheless.
Don't be silly, that's an excellent excuse. Still no excuse is needed for a good old walk around the neighbourhood. I used to do that all the time. I didn't have any neighbours though...

This does sound kinda rough, but it should be possible to cover 1000 miles in not too long. Just counting treadmill I jog 5 on a good week and walk to the gym, school and work. That should make be able to make this in not too long, but for most of the kids playing this will be as good as impossible without cheating. I should offer people to jog with their pokewalker for money or maybe rare Pokemon... Any suggestions on how much I should charge?
Edit:
That means it would take 200 days at an average of four miles per day to unlock everything.
I think this math is wrong... 200 days with 4 miles make only 800 miles.