Hearthstone Adds Cosmetic Alternate Hero Skins For $10 Each

Willinium

Jun 2, 2011
Hm. I wonder who the rest will be? Mage is likely to be Medihv, Warlock could be. . . Kael Sunstrider perhaps? Hunter could be Maeve, can't think of one for Druid but Shaman can be Voljin? Perhaps Paladin can be pre-frostmorne Arthas? (Most if not all of my Warcraft lore knowledge comes from either either the books or Warcraft 3 and expansion.)

urlorjkron

Dec 19, 2013
Evil Smurf said:
urlorjkron said:
Evil Smurf said:
If I'm going to spend 10 USD on a ccg, I'll spend money on Magic. At least that's a physical thing, because as much as I like Hearthstone, it's only installed for when I want to play magic, but am not around other junkies players.
For $10 you could buy MTGO and play that. You get over 1000 cards to start with and most paper cards that are under $5 are less than $.05 for their digital version.
How's commander on MTGO?
I'm not sure. I'm new to Magic and this was the most accessible way for me to play. I mainly play standard.

I just looked and in the middle of the night there are currently 5 1v1 commander games being played. I could take a look again some time in the evening when more people are actually on if you like.

tzimize

Mar 1, 2010
Uff.

This just makes me hate myself for planning to buy the final SC2 game. I'm growing a bad conscience each time I spend money on blizzards stuff :|

urlorjkron

Dec 19, 2013
urlorjkron said:
Evil Smurf said:
urlorjkron said:
Evil Smurf said:
If I'm going to spend 10 USD on a ccg, I'll spend money on Magic. At least that's a physical thing, because as much as I like Hearthstone, it's only installed for when I want to play magic, but am not around other junkies players.
For $10 you could buy MTGO and play that. You get over 1000 cards to start with and most paper cards that are under $5 are less than $.05 for their digital version.
How's commander on MTGO?
I'm not sure. I'm new to Magic and this was the most accessible way for me to play. I mainly play standard.

I just looked and in the middle of the night there are currently 5 1v1 commander games being played. I could take a look again some time in the evening when more people are actually on if you like.
Just checking again on a Saturday afternoon. There's currently about a dozen commander games being played right now. They have daily tournaments for standard, modern, pauper, legacy, and vintage. People tend to play those instead.

Travis Fischer

Feb 1, 2012
Whatislove said:
This is why I hate Blizzard now.
NOW? Where were you when they started using our subscription fees from World of Warcraft to develop pets for World of Warcraft, that required you to pay an additional charge?

Blizzard has been stupidly out-of-line for years, but they're base is so huge they can squeeze their customers harder and get away with it.

LordLundar

Apr 6, 2004
Willinium said:
(Most if not all of my Warcraft lore knowledge comes from either either the books or Warcraft 3 and expansion.)
That's actually more than the ones playing WoW are getting.

Glaice

Mar 18, 2013
That's a bit pricey for aesthetics and pushing into Evolve territory..

JayRPG

Oct 25, 2012
Travis Fischer said:
Whatislove said:
This is why I hate Blizzard now.
NOW? Where were you when they started using our subscription fees from World of Warcraft to develop pets for World of Warcraft, that required you to pay an additional charge?

Blizzard has been stupidly out-of-line for years, but they're base is so huge they can squeeze their customers harder and get away with it.
Oh I didn't mean just right now.

I hated them when I quit WoW during firelands in Cataclysm.

Their micro-transaction crap is one of the biggest rorts in the industry but nobody ever pulls them up on it.

The aforementioned 3-tier MMO subscription model that essentially triples the cost of any other MMO in existence, the ridiculous prices for their 'micro-transactions' ($25 for a mount in WoW, 1 mount, that took 1 art guy a few hours to cobble together, on top of the base and expansion entry fee AND $15 per month subscription; or the insane $31.99 to unlock a MEASLY, PATHETIC amount of 'content' in Hearthstone - but they almost require you to pay this amount to attain certain 'must have' cards to remain competitive, this isn't a F2P model, it's a Pay-to-Win model but, again, nobody ever pulls them up on it.)

Honestly, the micro-transaction policy of Dungeon Keeper is better than Hearthstone's.

kris40k

Feb 12, 2015
Willinium said:
Hm. I wonder who the rest will be? Mage is likely to be Medihv, Warlock could be. . . Kael Sunstrider perhaps? Hunter could be Maeve, can't think of one for Druid but Shaman can be Voljin? Perhaps Paladin can be pre-frostmorne Arthas? (Most if not all of my Warcraft lore knowledge comes from either either the books or Warcraft 3 and expansion.)
The are going to be opposing factions, so for instance, as the default Warlock is Horde, the optional Warlock will be an Alliance member and so forth.

kris40k

Feb 12, 2015
shrekfan246 said:
EbonBehelit said:
shrekfan246 said:
If that's enough to ruin the theme for you, then I'm pretty sure you should've already been upset by things like Uther summoning Ragnaros and Deathwing or, the Light forfend, Kel'Thuzad. EDIT: Or how about Malfurion summoning Illidan? Thrall summoning Velen? etc. etc. sure they're not all class-specific cards, but it still ruins the thematic consistency as much as having Magni summon the Horde would.
Y'know, the neutral legendaries actually never occurred to me. Oops.

Even so, it's really just the Kor'Kron's lines being a bit silly to me since the card assumes it's being played by Garrosh. For that matter, It'd be kinda amusing to play a Vol'jin against Muradin and have him gloat about being Warchief regardless. :p
I never really thought the card itself was being played under the assumption that it was being ordered around by the Warchief of the Horde. I just figured that was the audio because that's what a Kor'kron Elite would say.

The characters-as-Heroes thing always struck me as more being about nostalgia and familiarity than any sort of lore or thematic element. That's why they have such a varied mix of old and new characters -- Thrall is the Shaman but not Warchief and Garrosh is the Warrior because of Cataclysm and everything that followed it, Jaina is the mage rather than Khadgar who realistically would be a better lore fit, Gul'dan is the Warlock, Valeera is the Rogue, and Uther is the Paladin despite them all being largely absent from Warcraft lore in general for a very long time, and so on.
A few of the cards do have specific player interactions depending on game circumstances. To use the previous mentioned characters, if someone is playing Malfurion and their opponent plays Illidan, Illidan comes into play saying "Hello, brother."

Edit:
Just got curious and it appears the Kor'kron Elite use a single intro saying [http://www.hearthhead.com/card=28/korkron-elite], which makes sense in that it is a Warrior card being played by Garrosh who was Warchief in Cataclysm. *shrug*

You can hear Illidan's alternate play audio here [http://www.hearthhead.com/card=556/illidan-stormrage].

Vol'jin [http://www.hearthhead.com/card=1931/voljin#mechanics] says "who be da Warchief now?" when played against Garrosh. That's just a few of the little things they've slipped in there. There are more.