Hearthstone (Sort of) Gets a Co-Op Mode

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Hearthstone (Sort of) Gets a Co-Op Mode

Hearthstone's newest Tavern Brawl features the game's first co-op mode.

One of the most-requested Tavern Brawl [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/hearthstone]: Unite Against Mechazod.

"Combine forces to defeat Gearmaster Mechazod," wrote Blizzard in a blog post [http://us.battle.net/hearthstone/en/blog/19932702]. "You'll each be piloting a pre-built deck assembled to give both you and your partner on the other side of the board a chance to take out the technological terror. Each turn he'll move from your side of the board to your friend's, and you'll need to play your cards just right to bring him down together."

Essentially, rather than being a hero with his own deck, Gearmaster Mechazod is just a minion who can summon other minions, as well as buff himself. The exact mechanics of the game mode still aren't known (will all your minions be destroyed when your co-op partner's turn starts? Can you still attack your co-op partner's face?) but Blizzard did state that if one player is defeated, then both players lose.

Additionally, you'll no longer have to win a game to get your free pack of classic cards. Simply completing a Tavern Brawl match will reward you with the free pack. We're not sure if this is a permanent change, or just due to this particular Brawl's odd mechanics.

While it isn't quite the full-blown co-op mode fans were waiting for, hopefully Unite Against Mechazod paves the way for more co-op modes in the future!

Source: Blizzard [http://us.battle.net/hearthstone/en/blog/19932702]

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
Could be pretty fun, might play it once or twice but I planned to quit Curvestone today now that ladder is the worst it has ever been since pre Undertaker nerf. Good job murdering nerfing Warsong Blizz, now Secret Pally has broken the game. The deck plays itself and it's ridiculously effective.

Sep 14, 2009
The Wykydtron said:
Could be pretty fun, might play it once or twice but I planned to quit Curvestone today now that ladder is the worst it has ever been since pre Undertaker nerf. Good job murdering nerfing Warsong Blizz, now Secret Pally has broken the game. The deck plays itself and it's ridiculously effective.
yeah unless you have the perfect cards ready for it and the pally hasn't built much of a board then you're gonna be feelin his secret power turn 7 and 8 (get it, secret power? har har har)

it's starting to be more sigh worthy than running into constant face hunters like I used to.

OT: this looks like fun, but it's definitely not what the people have been asking for... even though I highly doubt it, blizzard needs to add a co op/private mode where you can battle a friend and turn lots of filters on and off (choose which tavern brawl rules you want to apply plus more, like random deck generators or other wonky rules to spice up the private games.)

EeviStev

Mar 2, 2011
Can... can we just Polymorph it? Hex it? Sap it?

This is confusing.

Edit: I just realised the pre-built decks just won't have those cards. Doy. But, new questions:
Do all enemy minions change sides every turn? If so, what happens if there's no room for any or all of them on the other side? If not, do they sit on your side, taking up space while you can't attack them?

This is still confusing.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
EeviStev said:

This is confusing.

Edit: I just realised the pre-built decks just won't have those cards. Doy. But, new questions:
Do all enemy minions change sides every turn? If so, what happens if there's no room for any or all of them on the other side? If not, do they sit on your side, taking up space while you can't attack them?

This is still confusing.
Well...the article did say that Blizzard hasn't announced anything more than the concept for the game mode...actual mechanical details haven't been released. :p

OT: Come on Blizzard...is it really that hard to make a simple 2v2 mechanic? Can't you just rip-off Two-Headed Giant from Magic The Gathering the way you ripped off everything else from Magic The Gathering?

09philj

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 31, 2015
EeviStev said:

This is confusing.

This is still confusing.
The only card that changes sides is the boss. It will kill minions to make space for itself if there is none available, but the decks available don't make this a likely event. It's a really tense and fun brawl.

Mangod

Feb 20, 2011
Just played it; great fun! Essentially, the Priest and the Paladin get to buff each others Minions until you can take down Mechazod. Pretty intense actually.

Dr. Crawver

Doesn't know why he has premium
Nov 20, 2009
Played it. It's nails hard, but a lot of fun. Biggest issue is you need to rely on your ally not being an imbecile (Yes, I'll play my coin turn 1 and not summon anything), but if you get to work together well you can create some pretty interesting combos (best I managed was a 25/8 constant divine shield lorewalker cho)

Sep 14, 2009
Dr. Crawver said:
but if you get to work together well you can create some pretty interesting combos (best I managed was a 25/8 constant divine shield lorewalker cho)
wait wat.

the 5 times I've played, and someone would play lorewalker cho, the mechazoid would kill lorewalker the very next turn with that specific lorewalker card. is that just horrible luck or did you manage to get him up that high in one turn?

OT: Played it, it's a bit of fun but a bit difficult... if you and your teammate are playing together well and not running out of cards too fast (I had a teammate attack constantly like an idiot and throw all his cards out there ASAP, so he was near cardless by turn 8) then you should beat him with change to spare.

Dr. Crawver

Doesn't know why he has premium
Nov 20, 2009
gmaverick019 said:
Dr. Crawver said:
but if you get to work together well you can create some pretty interesting combos (best I managed was a 25/8 constant divine shield lorewalker cho)
wait wat.

the 5 times I've played, and someone would play lorewalker cho, the mechazoid would kill lorewalker the very next turn with that specific lorewalker card. is that just horrible luck or did you manage to get him up that high in one turn?

OT: Played it, it's a bit of fun but a bit difficult... if you and your teammate are playing together well and not running out of cards too fast (I had a teammate attack constantly like an idiot and throw all his cards out there ASAP, so he was near cardless by turn 8) then you should beat him with change to spare.
Was luck. He left it alive for 4 turns before finally going to kill it.

Gizmo1990

Insert funny title here
Oct 19, 2010
My friend and I just beat it. Took a few tries but we got lucky in the end. He had a hand full of buff spells and I was able to put down both Troggzor the Earthinator and Millhouse Manastorm in the same turn. He died very quickly after that.

squid5580

Elite Member
Feb 20, 2008
After 5 crushing defeats my partner and I squeaked out a win. Using an Icehowl + Millhouse + all the +attack pally cards you can possibly imagine combo. Great fun but man is it tough especially with a partner.

09philj

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 31, 2015
I really enjoyed this brawl. Not something I'd like to play all the time, but something similar in future would be good.

Cartographer

Jun 1, 2009
Best. Brawl. Ever!

Seriously, this is an amazing take on the system.

And the "Well Played" you share with your partner when you have an 11/11 Bolvar and Mechazod has 6 life left...

Sep 14, 2009
Dr. Crawver said:
gmaverick019 said:
Dr. Crawver said:
wait wat.

Was luck. He left it alive for 4 turns before finally going to kill it.
damn, I'm sure with millhouse manastorm you can execute some awesome wombo combo's on that fucker if you have lorewalker on the field, I was about to attempt it with my partner at the time but he killed the damn lorewalker right when I played millhouse :(

shintakie10

Sep 3, 2008
Now that I've tried it, super duper fun.

Some people really don't get it and waste all their minions to do 2 damage instead of not bein spastic and leavin the minions up to absorb pings, but when you have a partner that just meshes perfectly even without communication its wonderful.

Gettin a 30 damage Holy Champion is seriously the best.

Rblade

Mar 1, 2010
shintakie10 said:
Now that I've tried it, super duper fun.

Some people really don't get it and waste all their minions to do 2 damage instead of not bein spastic and leavin the minions up to absorb pings, but when you have a partner that just meshes perfectly even without communication its wonderful.

Gettin a 30 damage Holy Champion is seriously the best.
yeah and you need to prep for cho. I tossed back and forth a holy light and a kings in the game we finally won

Tiamattt

Jul 15, 2011
It's great fun, if you and your partner knows what you're doing. My first try I went in blind and I got crushed due to foolish mistakes I didn't even know I was making, 2nd time I did it with a friend(and after some reading) and it was a blast. Unfortunately that doesn't count for quests or anything like that so I tried it a 3rd time with a random stranger who clearly didn't know what he was doing like me the first time and I knew we were doomed by turn 4, least we hung in there longer than I expected. It's only the first day so it's not surprising to run into people that don't know what to do yet, hopefully in a day or two the internet will do it's thing and it'll be smooth sailing from there.

rembrandtqeinstein

Sep 4, 2009
this really is the best brawl evar.....even if you lose its still fun working together

this mode really should be permanently available because it is funsies