Hearthstone's Blackrock Mountain Adventure Launches Next Week

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Hearthstone's Blackrock Mountain Adventure Launches Next Week

Blizzard has also revealed five new cards for the upcoming Hearthstone adventure.

It looks like the Hearthstone [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/140171-Hearthstone-Blackrock-Mountain-Mage-Hunter-Warlock-Cards] will be coming to an end early next month, as the developer has announced an April 2 release date for the adventure (or at least, the first wing of it).

"Blackrock Mountain goes live on Windows®, Mac®, iPad®, and Android™ tablets on April 2 in the Americas region (including Southest Asia and Oceania) and rolls out on April 3 in Europe, Korea, Taiwan, and China, beginning with the release of the first wing-Blackrock Depths," said Blizzard in an official press release. Just like Naxxramas [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/video-games/11962-Hearthstone-Deck-Guide-for-Heroic-Naxxramas-The-Arachnid-Quarter], an additional wing will be released every week until all five wings are out.

Additonally, Blizzard has revealed five new cards since we last checked in the other week [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/140171-Hearthstone-Blackrock-Mountain-Mage-Hunter-Warlock-Cards]. Check them out below:

[gallery=3962]

The new cards two neutral dragon creatures: the Volcanic Drake and the Drakanoid Crusher, a neutral dragon-synergy minion: the Blackwing Corrupter, a mage spell: Dragon's Breath, and the first legendary from the set: Nefarian himself.

This brings the total revealed cards up to 17, and also shows that the mage will be getting at least two new cards from this set, as opposed to the single card all of the classes received with Naxxramas.

Source: Blizzard

gonenow

Dec 29, 2014
Wow these cards are terrible for constructed...

Oh well at least new players won't have to buy this expansion given how bad the card quality is

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
Of these cards, only Nefarian might be really good.

Dragon's Breath and Volcanic Drake are too conditional. Maybe they might work in rush decks, but even that's a stretch.

Drakonid Crusher is... debatable. A 9/9 for 6 isn't a bad finisher, but again, it would only really work in decks with early pressure. Also, the card is rendered somewhat crap by healing, and with the prevalence of Antique Healbots, you can't rely on being able to drop the enemy.

Blackwing Corruptor depends on two things - first, is the battlecry targetable? Second, is there a sufficient number of good Dragons? If the answer to both questions is "Yes", then it's a fairly good value proposition and might see play.

gonenow

Dec 29, 2014
Jandau said:

Dragon's Breath and Volcanic Drake are too conditional. Maybe they might work in rush decks, but even that's a stretch.

Drakonid Crusher is... debatable. A 9/9 for 6 isn't a bad finisher, but again, it would only really work in decks with early pressure. Also, the card is rendered somewhat crap by healing, and with the prevalence of Antique Healbots, you can't rely on being able to drop the enemy.

Blackwing Corruptor depends on two things - first, is the battlecry targetable? Second, is there a sufficient number of good Dragons? If the answer to both questions is "Yes", then it's a fairly good value proposition and might see play.
Sadly Nef suffers from the fact that Ysera is just strictly better than him so he won't see play unless he is pitted against Tinkmaster / Pagle in arena or something.

Crusher could work in Zoo deck with the new Imp Boss Gang but its low HP means it probably won't work out that well

Corruptor works like Fire Elemental apparently so it basically depends on which dragons are good.

PointlessKnowledge

It Can Wait Til Morning
Legacy
Sep 8, 2014
Country
Canada
So far the cards from this expansion seem to be a bit lacking, though we still haven't seen everything.

Nefarian seems neat, not necessarily good, but neat.

Also, Rend Blackhand was the first Legendary revealed for Blackrock Mountain.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
Nefarian -Cool, but I don't think he's good enough. For 9 mana, you want something that immediately impacts the board. Unless you're getting a 1 mana spell that's useful, he doesn't do that. Not only that, there's a decent chance that (depending on the class you're versing) the spell won't even be very useful for you. Still, I hope he sees some use because he's got a really neat design.

Volcanic Drake -Maybe there will be some good synergies that develop around mass deathrattles and lots of tiny minions dying during a turn. I doubt it. I'd want it to cost 3 before I considered it decent and even then, other 3 drops deal 4 damage. If it was a 4/6 instead, I think it could have been a really good card.

Crusher -He's not terrible, but there's just waaaaay better minions to put in this slot.

Blackwing Corruptor -Probably the best card from the set (Gang Boss is really good too) if dragon decks actually become a thing. I'm pretty sure his ability is targeted since it has the same wording as Fire Elemental. Fire Elemental is one of the best cards in the game. This has the same battlecry (assuming you meet the requirement) only it costs 1 less and has 1 less of each stat. That is amazing. If dragons are actually good (which I'm becoming more and more skeptical of), this will be better than Fire Elemental.

Dragon's Breath -This card is awful.

Rblade

Mar 1, 2010
gonenow said:
Jandau said:

Sadly Nef suffers from the fact that Ysera is just strictly better than him so he won't see play unless he is pitted against Tinkmaster / Pagle in arena or something.

Crusher could work in Zoo deck with the new Imp Boss Gang but its low HP means it probably won't work out that well

Corruptor works like Fire Elemental apparently so it basically depends on which dragons are good.
but he is easier to get for cheap bastards like me so he might find his way into some of my big guy decks because ysera isn't on top of my "legendary creation" list

gonenow

Dec 29, 2014
Rblade said:
gonenow said:
Jandau said:

but he is easier to get for cheap bastards like me so he might find his way into some of my big guy decks because ysera isn't on top of my "legendary creation" list
Yeah but cheap people like me who have a complete collection but has never spent money on Hearthstone generally won't use Nef anyway because the dragon archetype is really bad for F2P players. I dunno unless the other cards in Nef's wing are really good I'll probably just save the 700 gold

ecoho

Jun 16, 2010
i see a really good mighty minis deck being made after this adventure is released and nef might be more useful then you think as he grabs 2 random spells from a the class you are facing so the potential for a game wining spell or just a nice delay are pretty high, of course theres a chance it does nothing useful but at least itll be fun to play.

shintakie10

Sep 3, 2008
ecoho said:
i see a really good mighty minis deck being made after this adventure is released and nef might be more useful then you think as he grabs 2 random spells from a the class you are facing so the potential for a game wining spell or just a nice delay are pretty high, of course theres a chance it does nothing useful but at least itll be fun to play.
It entirely depends on the class, however the problem for me basically comes down to the fact that you're spendin 9 mana for 2 spell cards that don't get discounted at all. Unless its a 1 mana card, you'll have to wait until the next turn to cast it. Even then you might not have anythin to combo them with properly, meanin you might have to wait more than 1 turn to even cast those shiny new spells.

He's basically a bad Ysera.

Now if the cards were free (or at least at a 3 mana discount so you don't get a free Pyroblast or MC) the card would be pretty useful. You'd be able to combo almost any spell into that turn. Get a Blessing of Kings or Velen's Chosen? Buff the hell out of somethin on the field. Grabbed a Fireball? Shoot 6 damage at their face or at a creature on the field. Got somethin not as useful like a Shield Block? Whelp, at least its a free 5 armor and a card draw.

dmonkoff

Jan 30, 2013
Nefarian is meh.
If you really want 9 drop dragon, there's already ysera/alexstrasza/malygos, which are much more viable imo.
Volcanic dragon is again meh. Yes, you can flamestrike six creatures and put him out for free, but I think it would usually be 4-5 drop that will die to most four drops. Not that fancy.
Drakonid crusher could be good in rush decks aaaand it's also a dragon, so it would synergise with other blackrock cards aaand even if you can't use his ability, it's a boulderfist ogre with one less health which isn't that bad. So, could be cool.
Blackwing corruptor is basically a cheaper fire elemental, but you need to put dragons in your deck (like Drakonid crusher :3), so if you're gonna make a dragon deck, this card will be essential.
Dragon's breath sucks, you're better of with flamecannon