Hearthstone's New "Welcome Bundle" Has 10 Packs, 1 Legendary, for $5

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Hearthstone's New "Welcome Bundle" Has 10 Packs, 1 Legendary, for $5

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1348/1348905.gif
Even if you're the unluckiest pack opener in the world, Hearthstone's new "welcome bundle" guarantees you at least one legendary.

Today Blizzard announced a special deal for its online card battler Hearthstone [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/hearthstone], and it's a doozy. For a mere $4.99, the "Welcome Pack" contains ten classic hearthstone packs, and one guaranteed Legendary card. Considering the regular price for Hearthstone cards is ~$1.50 a pack, that's absolutely insane value. So what's the catch? You can only buy the "Welcome Pack" one time per battle.net account.

As for that free guaranteed Legendary, it will be a random non-golden class legendary from the classic set. Of course, there is still a chance that you will get lucky and unwrap additional legendarily in the 10 included packs but this is one of the few times Hearthstone has actually guaranteed players a Legendary card.

Here are the nine classic class legendaries to refresh your memory:

[gallery=6476]

Blizzard has stated that even though this is called the "Welcome" pack, the promotion is available for all players new and old. However, it did suggest that this would be a limited time deal, although it didn't offer any timeline as to when the promotion would end.

The Welcome Pack will be available for sale together with Hearthstone's next content update, which could be tomorrow after server maintenance.

Source: Blizzard [http://us.battle.net/hearthstone/en/blog/20271287/welcome-the-welcome-bundle-9-12-2016]

Bindal

May 14, 2012
If it's a Legendary from the classic cardset, wouldn't that be like 26 or 28 legendaries? Because, you know, there were a buttload of neutral legendaries on release, too? And I am pretty sure none of them were "Basic" cards you got just for finishing the tutorial.

But for the bundle itself... it's okay. But I doubt it will help much as the game is basically "own all cards from the basegame and expansion to create perfect decks - or get stomped into the ground by those that do" and I feel that getting 10 basegame packs and 1 random base legendary isn't helping that much to not get curbstomped 95% of the time.

LostCrusader

Lurker in the shadows
Feb 3, 2011
Bindal said:
If it's a Legendary from the classic cardset, wouldn't that be like 26 or 28 legendaries? Because, you know, there were a buttload of neutral legendaries on release, too? And I am pretty sure none of them were "Basic" cards you got just for finishing the tutorial.

But for the bundle itself... it's okay. But I doubt it will help much as the game is basically "own all cards from the basegame and expansion to create perfect decks - or get stomped into the ground by those that do" and I feel that getting 10 basegame packs and 1 random base legendary isn't helping that much to not get curbstomped 95% of the time.
OP said it would be a classic class legendary. But you are right, as a starter pack it will help but the classic legendries are really varied from almost mandatory class cards to practically unplayable even when they came out.

If Blizzard really wants to help new players, they need to change their quests to require playing the game rather than winning so they can expand their card sets.

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
LostCrusader said:
Bindal said:

OP said it would be a classic class legendary. But you are right, as a starter pack it will help but the classic legendries are really varied from almost mandatory class cards to practically unplayable even when they came out.

If Blizzard really wants to help new players, they need to change their quests to require playing the game rather than winning so they can expand their card sets.
I agree. I don't see why those "Win X Games as X class" quests cant simply be "PLAY X games as X class", with some sort of timer (10 minutes?) built-in to ensure people don't just insta-concede.

Battenberg

Browncoat
Aug 16, 2012
This seems like a decent deal for people who've been playing a while already but have holes in their collection, not so much for total beginners. Given that even at rank 20 people are using tier 1 and 2 decks players are going to need more of a card pool than 10 packs (even with a free legendary) to get a decent number of wins; wins which are essential to getting more gold/ packs (plus it's hard to have fun if you're losing 100% of the time).

If anything it seems like this is designed as a gateway purchase to tempt people to go from f2p to spending huge amounts on packs as opposed to 'welcoming' new players.

Mahorfeus

Feb 21, 2011
I could pray to the gods that I will pull Tirion... but knowing my luck, it will be my fourth Antonidas. :p

Janaschi

Scion of Delphi
Aug 21, 2012
Mahorfeus said:
I could pray to the gods that I will pull Tirion... but knowing my luck, it will be my fourth Antonidas. :p
800 dust is still nice, regardless. :p I would rather get an extra legendary for the 800 dust, than a crap legendary like The Beast. That's assuming that you are a collector like I am, and I always keep the maximum number of each card before I begin dusting extras.

ArkhamJester

Sep 30, 2010
This is something they should have done a lot sooner, like when Whispers of the Old Gods came out. Still, most of the class legendaries from the classic set are still useful though some are more situational than others, edwin, jaraxxus, Grommash and Tirion are still very relevant, Cenarius, Antonidas, and arguable Al, Akir are situational but are useful to have on hand. King Crush is too expensive but not necessarily worthless. Leaving Prophet Velen as the only true stinker to pull out of this. Man Priest really has been getting the shaft for a while.

LostCrusader

Lurker in the shadows
Feb 3, 2011
Steven Bogos said:
LostCrusader said:
Bindal said:

I agree. I don't see why those "Win X Games as X class" quests cant simply be "PLAY X games as X class", with some sort of timer (10 minutes?) built-in to ensure people don't just insta-concede.
Its worth noting that they have implemented a fix for the insta-concede already for their play a friend quest, its something like a game only counts if a player wins or concedes after one of them is under 10 health.

And they use the play x games quests for heroes of the storm too.