Hearthstone's Next Expansion: Journey to Un'Goro Revealed

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Hearthstone's Next Expansion: Journey to Un'Goro Revealed

Blizzard has revealed Hearthstone's first expansion of 2017 - a journey to the dinosaur-filled Un'Goro Crater.

The rumored Ben Brode [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/169463-Rumor-New-Hearthstone-Expansion-Features-UnGoro-Crater-Has-Dinosaurs]. Journey to Un'Goro will be available in "Spring" and will add 135 new cards and some new mechanics.

The first of these is the "Adapt" keyword - which works similarly to the "Discover" keyword but rather than discovering a new card, you "Discover" a new trait for your minion, such as +3 Attack, Windfury, or a Deathrattle.

A brand-new type of card has also been added: Quests. Until now, Legendary cards have been limited to minions, but quests are a kind of "legendary spell". You can only have one quest in your deck, and it will always start off in your opening hand. Once you complete the requirements for the quest, you'll get a considerable reward. Check out the priest quest, "Awaken the Makers", below:

Lastly, Journey to Un'Goro will add a new "Elemental" tribe of minions, which will join the likes of Murlocs, Pirates, Mechs, Dragons and Beasts. As well as new cards, many old cards have been re-branded as Elementals, such as Fire Elemental, Earth Elemental, and Ragnaros, Lightlord. You can see all of the cards revealed in the announcement video below:

[gallery=6987]

Starting tomorrow, you can pre-purchase 50 Journey to Un'Goro card packs for $49.99 USD and receive the Fossil card back. Blizzard says that more card reveals will drop starting March 17. When Journey to Un'Goro is released, it will kick off the Year of the Mammoth [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/169562-Hearthstone-Year-of-The-Mammoth-Big-Changes-Nerfed-Cards#&gid=gallery_6938&pid=1], which will retire the Blackrock Mountain, The Grand Tournament, and League of Explorers sets from Standard play.

Source: Blizzard [http://us.battle.net/hearthstone/en/blog/20584091/%E2%80%8Bprepare-to-embark-on-a-journey-to-un%E2%80%99goro-2-27-2017]

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Hunter players are gonna have a field day with this.

Me, sigh can you give us somthing cooler like a Lich King themed expansion or adventure pack?

With said Lich King being treated Seriouly for once? Don't do to the Lich King like what you did with Medivh in One Night in Karazhan.

Godzillarich(aka tf2godz)

Get the point
Legacy
Aug 1, 2011
Cretaceous
Country
USA
Fuck yeah dinosaurs! I'm also glad they're using Elise Starseeker again even if it's just for this trailer, I really like her and the rest of the league of explorers, I hope that means we'll see more of the explorers in the future.

Anyway my thought on the cards.

Volcano: You know what shaman needs, more good removal. I doubt it will get played considering how many fantastic cards shaman has but it still is kind of irritating this card exists.

Pyros: Why would you ever play this? maybe if it's manna was one level below it would work But unless the elemental bonus works extremely well I can't see this being played.

Verdant Longneck: I think I like the adaptation mechanic much better than the discovery one. For one thing your opponent knows what you got and two you only get 10 choices that will come up 1/3 of the time. So it will not depend on rng as much. As for this card I can see this being played in a lot of Druid decks.

Awaken the Makers/Amara, Warden of Hope!: I have mixed feelings about this. On one hand it's nice to have a reno replacement And deathrattle have always been good so it probably wouldn't be that hard to make a deck full of them, on the other It's a simple fact 90% of the time you will be dead on turn five. So unless we get more control cards or Some of the nerfs are enough to slow down the meta, this might as well be Magma Rager.

SlumlordThanatos

Lord Inquisitor
Aug 25, 2014
Samtemdo8 said:

Me, sigh can you give us somthing cooler like a Lich King themed expansion or adventure pack?

With said Lich King being treated Seriouly for once? Don't do to the Lich King like what you did with Medivh in One Night in Karazhan.
"For once?"

TLK has been treated seriously for all of his other appearances, and I kinda liked what they did with Kel'Thuzad in Curse of Naxxramas. Besides, that's the whole point of Hearthstone: they take the Warcraft 'verse (which is usually taken pretty seriously), and put a lighthearted spin on it.

OT: Quests look interesting, though cards like that might still be too slow for aggro decks. I'll have to see what other ones are going to be printed. The new Adapt keyword sounds like fun, even though I feel like it is basically a less-reliable version of the Druid's Choose One mechanic.

But what is Blizzard going to do about losing certain key cards in the retired sets? No more Reno Jackson is just going to make that deck archetype that much worse, unless they plan on moving him to Classic.

I mean, if there is a card that really should be in the Classic set, it's Reno.

tf2godz said:
Awaken the Makers/Amara, Warden of Hope!: I have mixed feelings about this. On one hand it's nice to have a reno replacement And deathrattle have always been good so it probably wouldn't be that hard to make a deck full of them, on the other It's a simple fact 90% of the time you will be dead on turn five. So unless we get more control cards or Some of the nerfs are enough to slow down the meta, this might as well be Magma Rager.
The issue here is that the card is a Priest exclusive, and Reno Jackson is still at his very best in Warlock decks.

And, like you said, it really is too slow to do anything to aggro decks.

Chronologist

Feb 28, 2010
I predict there'll be a Druid card something like this:

Druid of the Scales (3 Mana Minion, 2/2)
Choose One: Adapt; or Discover a card in your deck

Mixing both Adapt and Discover into a Choose One card is just the kind of thing that would make Druid both flexible and very interesting. Do you search for a card in your deck or do you develop a stronger minion? An interesting choice. You could also replace Discover with Draw a Card but I think that would be less interesting.

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
SlumlordThanatos said:
The issue here is that the card is a Priest exclusive, and Reno Jackson is still at his very best in Warlock decks.

I predict that Mage and Warlock will also get their own "Reno Replacemet". This is obviously the priests - a huge late-game heal that can swing the game.

The real disadvantage of quests IMO is going to be that you'll essentially have one less card in your opening hand.

Cartographer

Jun 1, 2009
Now just imagine an anti-aggro quest that reads:

Quest: Take 15 damage
Reward: Gain 15 armour

for 1 mana, that starts in your opening hand...

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
SlumlordThanatos said:
Samtemdo8 said:

"For once?"

TLK has been treated seriously for all of his other appearances, and I kinda liked what they did with Kel'Thuzad in Curse of Naxxramas. Besides, that's the whole point of Hearthstone: they take the Warcraft 'verse (which is usually taken pretty seriously), and put a lighthearted spin on it.

OT: Quests look interesting, though cards like that might still be too slow for aggro decks. I'll have to see what other ones are going to be printed. The new Adapt keyword sounds like fun, even though I feel like it is basically a less-reliable version of the Druid's Choose One mechanic.

But what is Blizzard going to do about losing certain key cards in the retired sets? No more Reno Jackson is just going to make that deck archetype that much worse, unless they plan on moving him to Classic.

I mean, if there is a card that really should be in the Classic set, it's Reno.

tf2godz said:

Blackrock Mountain was not completely turned into a joke.

http://us.battle.net/hearthstone/en/expansions-adventures/blackrock-mountain/

But now thinking about it now I don't want them to do a Lich King themed Card Set, you'll only disgrace the Lich King if the do continue with this.

MHR

Apr 3, 2010
My first thought on seeing the quest is "wow! You could use it to set your Ragnaros hero to 40HP up from 8!"

Then I remembered arena was being made standard and got depressed.

the December King

Legacy
Mar 3, 2010
I know nothing about this game.

But I LOVE that tyrannosaur(?) pic for the article on the homepage. It looks sooo kick-ass.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
the December King said:

But I LOVE that tyrannosaur(?) pic for the article on the homepage. It looks sooo kick-ass.
Old-school World of Warcraft players can regale you with stories of those giant bastards literally sneaking up on them and one-shotting them.

the December King

Legacy
Mar 3, 2010
The Rogue Wolf said:
the December King said:

Old-school World of Warcraft players can regale you with stories of those giant bastards literally sneaking up on them and one-shotting them.

That's the way I'd want a giant reptilian ambush predator to kick ass! Though it would piss me off immensely as a player.

Oh, is that a WOW monster? I thought this was about Hearthstone... oh wait, they are related?

*does some reading*

Oh. Okay, cool.

I never got into WOW. It seemed like it was designed to take away my free time. I used to be really smug about that that I avoided it like it made me a better person, even as I walked directly into the path of Minecraft...