Heath Ledger Might Appear in Next Batman Movie

The Morrigan

Wharrgarble
Nov 23, 2010
Suskie said:
Also, let's hope The Dark Knight Rises doesn't wind up on this list:

http://www.cracked.com/article_18659_6-insane-attempts-to-make-movies-starring-dead-movie-stars.html
Is it terrible that I actually enjoyed the Laurence Olivier clip from Sky Captain? Not that it makes any sense to insist on using archival footage of a man who was dead for 15 years before the movie was even dreamed up (though I guess it's cheaper when you don't have to actually pay one of the most celebrated Shakespearean actors of the 20th century to be in your movie); but if they had to do it, that was a pretty interesting way to go.

Doesn't make me want to see the movie, though.

Greg Tito said:
Christopher Nolan did a great job bridging his first reboot Batman film, Batman Begins, with the second film, The Dark Knight, by showing the villain Scarecrow being captured early on in the sequel.
Honestly, I thought that the Scarecrow crossover was actually the weakest part of The Dark Knight. It didn't move the story forward; it didn't give me any new information about the character that I hadn't already gotten from the first movie; and it was over in no time, with no further mention made of the man who had been one of the primary villains of the last film. It just felt completely out of place; the scene read to me like a gratuitous platform for Batman to begin his trademark ass-kickings. Personally, I don't want Nolan to repeat this type of attempted crossover with Ledger's Joker, especially since it would have to be a smoke and mirrors job anyway. Ledger's Joker was a phenomenal performance; let's allow it to stand on its own.

Who's for a continuation of Two-Face in the next movie? I would love to see Aaron Eckhart continue in that role.

Axzarious

Feb 18, 2010
Jamboxdotcom said:
i don't see the point of having Joker in the next movie at all. i loved Ledger as Joker, and don't think anyone could top his role, but why have him in the next movie? to cheesily boost your draw? Nolan's too good a director to go that route, imo. i don't recall seeing Ra's al'Ghul in Dark Knight Returns.
Wait, Ra's Al'Ghul was in the Dark Knight Returns? I thought that was some other guy and not that "Immortal" from the comics... You know, I don't really see why they dont want to cast a new guy for Jokers Re-Appearances or whatever you want to call them. It may seem insensitive, but people die, sometimes unexpectedly. You cant put something on halt, or cease it entirely everytime somebody dies. Heck, I think the original actor that played Dumbledore in the Harry Potter movies died at some point... I think maybe the third movie? Get over it.

Ever heard of "The Joker Blogs"? Its awsome.

Jaebird

Aug 19, 2008
While I'm not booing on Nolan's decision, wouldn't a Joker being obscured in the shadows of his cell, shuffling a deck of playing cards, make more sense than digitally imposing Ledger's face onto another actor? Even if it's for a brief moment, it would probably cost less than digi-Ledger.

Then again, who knows how it will turn out in the final product? And im not the one in charge of these things. I'm still going to watch it, and not let this bother me.

bladeleaper

Jan 6, 2010
I'm not even sure how much i believe this, Nolan has said Joker won't appear in this film and considering his stance on using as little cgi as possible. Having said that if it is true, i don't think Nolan would use it if it looked too fake. Either way he's my favorite director and I trust him.

Strain42

Mar 2, 2009
If he can make it work, I say go for it. I think it's great that he at least wants to get approval from Heath's family before going through with it.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
They did a good job with Scarecrow and to pay tribute that'd be a nice bonus. I love his attitude about his family, and I'm hyped for Dark Knight Rises (Rising?)

Baldr

The Noble
Jan 6, 2010
How I would do it easily without CG:
Find a body double, and with the make-up it makes it so much easier, the mannerism are going to be hard to duplicate, but with a short screen time with low movement no will notice.
Then find a perfect match for a voice double and ADR all the lines.

Then I would brag about the most complicated CG process.

Shale_Dirk

Mar 23, 2010
rsvp42 said:
I heard from a friend (who apparently knew someone on the set) that there was a lot of extra Joker footage that was shot, but was never incorporated into the film. Supposedly, it was enough to build a whole 'nother film around, but obviously Ledger's death would probably keep that from working properly (scene-to-scene continuity, edits, rewrites). However, if that's true, then there might be enough for at least a scene of his incarceration, with a little CGI to patch up anything that doesn't quite work. I'd love to see that, if only to help tie things up a bit.

/rumor
There was alot of press that came out from Nolan's camp a couple months after Ledger's death regarding that they had several extra hours of Joker footage that didn't go in the movie. I wouldn't doubt that part of this might have been the Harley Quinn origin arc, footage of him in Arkham, or extra heist/crime footage. More than likely enough to get a few minutes of Joker footage, with only a few scenes of cgi necessary to fill the gaps. If the young version of Jeff Bridges from the new Tron is any indication, cgi is more than capable of creating believable stand ins. All they really need is some voice-overs from someone that can do Ledger's Joker for the CGI scenes and you have continuity.

TL;DR: I'm ok with this, provided it's done tastefully and convincingly.

Astoria

Oct 25, 2010
This is one of those things that could either be really good or really bad. Like some others I think I shot of him in a cell would be cool. I imagine it as a dark shot of him with a straight jacket on as a door closes on his face while he's laughing like he did in the last shot of him in TDK (the one when he's hanging from the building and he tells Batman about how he got to Harvey). Maybe having Jim Gordon there or something to make it less random would help. I agree with what someone said earlier about having another actor play him ruining the tribute idea, it should be Heath.

rekabdarb

Jun 25, 2008
Christopher Nolan is a fucking necromancer. HE HAS A NECROMONICON (sp?) RUN FOR THE HILLS. CTHULU HAS COME TO THIS WORLD!

Tony2077

Dec 19, 2007
It will be awesome to see him again he was a great actor and what ever else he was to different people but it will be in the make-up of the joker but still

MurderousToaster

Aug 9, 2008
I wonder if they're just going to edit an oversized picture of Ledger's head onto someone else's body. That would be hilarious.