Heavy Layoffs Hit 007 Legends Studio

DrunkOnEstus

In the name of Harman...
May 11, 2012
It's crazy, every time I see an article like this here or anywhere, I can predict 95 percent of the time that "and therefore we'll be pursuing the mobile/tablet market" will be near the bottom. It's going to be hard for your game to stand out when everyone who couldn't make a good AAA game decides to make iphone games. Based on the quality of 007 Legends, I don't see them making the next World of Goo either. It takes a special talent and great idea to succeed in that market, just like in AAA console gaming.

And it's because people aren't playing console games and the market is falling? I would cite sources explaining how this is completely ridiculous, but it should be obvious to everyone that that's not what happened here.

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
Yeah, it has to be that console gaming is dying, I can't think of a single other reason why nobody bought this game.

http://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox-360/007-legends

Not a single reason at all.

crazyrabbits

Jul 10, 2012
Legends had some cool moments (doing the Fort Knox assault with Leiter was pretty cool), but it was a hot mess in terms of everything else. Bizarre continuity issues galore, a terribly out-of-date game engine, boring level design...all the criticism it got was justified. Incredibly, the Skyfall DLC was even worse.

It always sucks to see developers out of work.

Codeknight

Oct 20, 2008
Andy Chalk said:
"Eurocom are undertaking a restructuring which I regret to say has meant we've made the majority of our workforce redundant today," Studio Director Hugh Binns said in a statement. "This includes many very experienced, talented and highly skilled employees, and we'd like to thank them all for your hard work and efforts."
Hmm, problems making money? CLEARLY this is the fault of the "very experienced, talented and highly skilled employees" and not mandates passed down from management...

Wouldn't it be great if before people blamed others they stopped and thought about the bigger picture?

Lono Shrugged

May 7, 2009
Codeknight said:
Andy Chalk said:
"Eurocom are undertaking a restructuring which I regret to say has meant we've made the majority of our workforce redundant today," Studio Director Hugh Binns said in a statement. "This includes many very experienced, talented and highly skilled employees, and we'd like to thank them all for your hard work and efforts."
Hmm, problems making money? CLEARLY this is the fault of the "very experienced, talented and highly skilled employees" and not mandates passed down from management...

Wouldn't it be great if before people blamed others they stopped and thought about the bigger picture?

Maybe they are all talentless idiots and he is being polite. Or maybe everyone thought they were making a great game and pulled together etc. And it just didn't happen or they ran out of money. Not everything is managements fault. And the upper levels won't lose their jobs because they are the upper levels. This is the same in every business even your chip shop on the corner. Businesses fail at projects and need to downsize. I doubt anyone laying the staff off enjoyed it.

Codeknight

Oct 20, 2008
Lono Shrugged said:
Maybe they are all talentless idiots and he is being polite. Or maybe everyone thought they were making a great game and pulled together etc. And it just didn't happen or they ran out of money. Not everything is managements fault. And the upper levels won't lose their jobs because they are the upper levels. This is the same in every business even your chip shop on the corner. Businesses fail at projects and need to downsize. I doubt anyone laying the staff off enjoyed it.
Quite possible, and true that's how businesses work. I've heard scary things about management hoisting the blame on the peons though. Yeah, no one enjoys firing some one, but I'm sure they enjoy it a lot more than admitting maybe they shouldn't have looked at poorly done studies and jumped on whatever bandwagon it promoted.

Failures all around sure, but the higher ups rarely take their blame and almost always shift it to something else, e.g. "the steep decline in demand for console games." More likely bad game development decisions lead to their switch to AAA public transit/poopin' games.

Off Topic: These Captcha ads really bug me. I do not want the Hopper or Dish thank you, just want to post...