Heavy Rain Creator Shows Off New Game Engine With Short Film

Username Redacted

Dec 29, 2010
I would rather see this as a movie than a game. A sort of 'Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep'/'Blade Runner' with a pinch of 'Ghost in the Shell' and the Geth from Mass Effect thing.

Vkmies

Oct 8, 2009
Heavy Rain already looked INCREDIBLE. So even better, eh? I can't complain.

Not to mention that much like Heavy Rain, this game looks awesome! I hope this is not just a tech demo but a real game they are planning out. Because ideas like THAT are the ones that push the industry forwards!

Respects, Quantum Dream, Respects.

ArchAngelKira

Mar 25, 2010
I just saw this and it feels weird like weirder then japan weird. Its so real its scary. I'm unsure if its good or bad, a little to real but heres my reaction if you cant tell im confused. Still if you think your games arent real enough were getting there.

Heavy Rain + DearS=???????

Mimssy

Dec 1, 2009
My first thought was, "That was really beautiful and thoughtful."
My next thought was, "And the origins of the robot uprising is born..."

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
LA Noire and Enslaved still look better. LA Noire uses the facial mo-cap, and while Enslaved isnt as technicly evolved it does an awesome job at showing emotions through the characters face and body language.

This one in here with the exception of a few key expressions looks fairly robotic (pun intended), especially the eyebrows. Its like they only move when they really need to, otherwise they just stay still.

The dialog and script were great though, the voice acting was really a step-up from HR.

cricket chirps

Apr 15, 2009
After watching all of Ghost in the Shell, and loving Deus Ex, how can one video make me not think we should make androids anymore? ._. im dumbfounded. I honestly dont want us to EVER reach that level of technology.

imnot

Apr 23, 2010
Not enough explosions/zombies/gun 0/10

Seriously though that was wonderful, I hope we get a Kara game.
Thats isn't ps3 exclusive!

cricket chirps

Apr 15, 2009
craftomega said:
After watching the tech demo "Kara". Quantic Dream has stated that is will not be made into a game. And Kara only exists as the tech demo.

Personally I think this is a mistake. The idea of making a game like Heavy Rain based around a sentient Ai is... well something that really needs to be done.

What i am asking you to do is, if you agree, to send Quantic Dream a email stating that Kara should be reconsidered for production.

Here is the contact site for Quantic Dream
http://www.quanticdream.com/en/contact
Agreed highly, and my part is done, message sent.

GO FORTH INTERNET AND MAKE THIS HAPPEN!!!!!!!

Crimson_Dragoon

Biologist Supreme
Jul 29, 2009
Say what you will about their gameplay, but Quantum Dream sure as hell knows how to hit an emotional cord like few other developers can.

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
I loved Heavy Rain and it really did feel like a movie. Gosh this game would be amazing I would buy it on day one.
"I'm completely at your disposal as a sexual partner" Me: "YAY!"
Afterward: "Gosh that was so emotionally stirring...how could I have been that crude..."

Eiv

Oct 17, 2008
simply stunning, really is a disturbing show of what their new engine can do.

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
Smertnik said:
Hopefully QD's writing will match the visuals in their next game for once.
Indeed. From a playthrough I watched, while Heavy Rain look incredible, there were more holes in Heavy Rain than holes in a wire-strainer...

Angry_squirrel

Mar 26, 2011
That was actually quite moving. Would like to see this turn into a game, Heavy Rain, while it lasted, drew me on more than any other game.

Shy_Guy

Apr 13, 2009
Hammeroj said:
A nice little film. On the technical side, this shows us nothing, really. It's limited to a couple of a handful of models, nothing too power consuming. The smaller the scale, the easier it is to do good graphics. Show me something bigger, and then we might start talking about how this is making good progress on the PS3.

In the meanwhile, I'll stick to something that's actually jawdropping as an example of real-time graphics.
Pretty much exactly what I was thinking while watching this. They did a very good job on the face face, but it isn't even a real tech demo in my eyes.

And I am absolutely awestruck every time I watch that Unreal tech demo. OMG. I love how Epic always teases us with the next generation of graphics just before the time comes.

Proverbial Jon

Not evil, just mildly malevolent
Nov 10, 2009
Say what you like about Quantic Dream, they know how to tell a story. That was simply beautiful. The theme of sentient robots is a tired and overused one but somehow it never fails to be touching.

The tech doesn't really impress me all that much to be honest. I mean the PS3 is one powerful machine and if you dedicate its resources to one scene like this then sure it'll be able to deliver. Now render an entire narative within a complete videogame to that level of fidelity and I'll be impressed.

Still, however amazing this was I'm sure it will only go the way of Milo and Kate; an impressive demo that we demand to see more of when in reality it'll never see the light of day.

Ragnarok2kx

Nov 18, 2009
Am I the only one that was expecting the "tester" guy to say something along the lines of "Self-awareness/preservation protocols functional", and have it all be part of the testing of that particular model of android?

Lurklen

Feb 2, 2010
I really liked that, hope they make a game out of it. And if you compare heavy rain to the game Quantic released before that (indigo prophecy I think?) they learned a lot. I think they learned a geat deal from heavy rain so I'm excited to see what they do next.