Heavy Rain Creator Shows Off New Game Engine With Short Film

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
The uncanny vally engine seems to be coming along just fine

XandNobody

Oh for...
Aug 4, 2010
This little short film was, touching. I actually cared about Kara to a degree and waiting to see if there would be a happy ending had me on the edge of my seat.

There is something about this else-wise that got to me though, and after thinking on it I believe I know what it is. This is perhaps the first very realistic portrayal of a human being by a virtual model that, at least to me, has made it out of the uncanny valley and started up the other side. Started mind, it ain't there yet, mostly the mouth seemed a little off, but it's a good start. The creepy factor of the fake face that virtual models normally give me, like those in Heavy Rain now and again, wasn't there in any glaring way. This is, kinda weird, and very interesting for the future.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
Wow. That was kinda creepy, but really cool at the same time.

I actually felt horrible that that tester was taking Kara apart, and I was seriously hoping that he'd just stop.

I really wish they'd make a game using that because I'd buy that in a heart beat.

Zaverexus

Jul 5, 2010
As amazing as the visuals are, I am infinitely more impressed with the story they chose to create here, even in its short duration. They really didn't have to do this, and I'm glad they did.

Sprinal

Jan 27, 2010
Pity it will likely only be on PS3. Otherwise I would buy it in a heartbeat... But I also thought that about Dead Island... and I did never buy that.

Anyway Still it looks interesting...

But I don't really like the ending. I would of expected the operator to start recording and ask his superiors.. Would have lead to much research but.... I don't know... Something I supose...

Vault Citizen

May 8, 2008
Jason Danger Keyes said:
If this becomes a game I will buy the shit out of it.
After watching this video again I came to the same conclusion. This video had me invested in her story in a matter of minutes, just imagine what the creators could do with a whole game.

Robert Ewing

Mar 2, 2011
Wow, this tech demo is a freaking masterpiece. Not necessarily graphically. I mean the graphics were very good but it was nothing special compared to other big name engines.

But why isn't this shit getting made into a game? The story behind the demo alone was very powerful and moving. Seems a shame to waste it that's all.

I dunno... If their next game is anything like heavy-rain, it'll be bloody good. I don't care what you guys say. Interactive movie or not, it was a bloody good interactive movie. Lets hope Quantum ramp up the scale and gameplay for the next title. I'm sure it will be excellent, I have all the faith in the world in these guys.

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
The problem with tech demos like these is that, as nice as it looks, it wont look like that for a long time. It'll just get cut down for the lowest common denominator and only a few devs will bother giving the game that kind of visual potential for PC. Mass Effect 3 for example, low AA and no high resolution textures on the PC version. Then Crysis from 2007, absolutely amazing visually, even to this day.

Yes, I get that they don't want to alienate people and appeal to a larger audience rather than the small percentage of people with high end hardware, but engines like Red engine for the Witcher 2 scale beautifully with a wide range of hardware. I've seen it run on a mid range laptop with integrated graphics. So part of it comes down to resources as well as effort.

Don Savik

Aug 27, 2011
The only thing going through my mind

"KILL IT!!! KILL IT WITH FIRE!!! BURN EM ALLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!"

Good movie, but seriously, burn them all.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
It's a great demo. I really don't think it looks technically impressive however. Metro 2033 looked a lot better and is older.

redisforever

Oct 5, 2009
God... that made me consider the implications of self-aware machines far more than anything else ever did...

This was truly amazing. Honestly. Fantastic animation, voice acting, writing, story, so on. A few tiny things made me realize it was a "game" engine, but really, that's just me, being crazy. The entire time, I was far too busy to complain. That was scary, and fascinating all at once...

Wicky_42

Sep 15, 2008
Mimssy said:
My first thought was, "That was really beautiful and thoughtful."
My next thought was, "And the origins of the robot uprising is born..."
lol, yeah.

That was beautifully done, and looked pretty good, but there were little obvious things that marked it out as being a game engine not a film production. But then, fucking hell, it was running in real time on a games console, so let's not get caught up on gas sprays not having physics or distorting face geometry. The short was beautify, the voice acting superb, the graphics not really cry-engine but still good, and the plot a nice, tasty nugget that feeds into plenty of sci-fi fiction stories. Good stuff, thanks for the share.

Screamarie

Mar 16, 2008
Wow...that hurt....I mean phsycially hurt. I felt like I was the one disassembling her! And this is from a person who can watch most things very passively. That woman, Valorie Curry is a VERY good voice actress.

I really hope this is part of something much bigger because that little short film just is not enough. I would really be interested in a game with Kara as the protagonist.

Or if they're going the "interactive movie" route as people like to call Heavy Rain (I don't really see it that way, if Dear Esther can be considered a game, then I don't see why Heavy Rain can't) then I would think it would be interesting to play as Kara after being bought by a human. Then going through it and given interactions and choices. She can pretend to be an obedient, mindless drone or maybe she ends up having a connection with her purchaser, love, friendship, whatever, or she could end up leading an andriod revlolution and be faced with the choices of enslaving humans or trying to create peace.

I can see SO much potential in this one video and I'm very hopeful because I would imagine if Kara wasn't part of something bigger, they would say that right now.

Wicky_42

Sep 15, 2008
Waaghpowa said:
engines like Red engine for the Witcher 2 scale beautifully with a wide range of hardware. I've seen it run on a mid range laptop with integrated graphics. So part of it comes down to resources as well as effort.
Really? huh - it really doesn't run on my machine, which has a dual core and a dedicated AMD graphics card :/ I guess that's the issue with PC gaming - there just too many bloody variants, lol.

Robert Ewing said:
But why isn't this shit getting made into a game? The story behind the demo alone was very powerful and moving. Seems a shame to waste it that's all.
If you think about it, bar the superb voice acting, the story's kinda been done before in one way or another. It's a nice little short, but to make it feature length and unique enough to warrant making? That's another order of magnitude. And not one a games company's going to be making any time soon, lol! But yeah, a cunning concoction of Bladerunner, AI, iRobot and the Animatrix's Second Renaissance Part 1 would be a decent collection of reference points and inspiration if the idea was to be pushed further, I'd have thought.