Heavy Rain Creator: "The U.S. Has Problems With My Games"

ROBO_LEADER

Nov 5, 2007
No, the problem is that the last one of your games that I bought (Fahrenheit) I absolutely loved until about the halfway point where things went from "supernatural mystery" to "no wait there are also aliens who we are just going to forget about in the next scene and oh look here's a quicktime Dragonball Z fight scene". I enjoyed the game a LOT, but stuff stopped making sense in a very jarring way that put me off. There was no feeling of resolution or conclusion at the end, just betrayal.

Trogdor1138

May 28, 2010
Oh god, can he be anymore of a prick? The answer is apparently yes. Way to overgeneralize an entire industry dude. Not to mention your game was about serial killers, had guns, shoehorned "romance" etc. which is pretty much as mainstream a plot as you get. There was nothing in it that I hadn't seen in several films, novels and such before. Just saying.

How about you fix your plot holes next time? That would help. Also didn't Heavy Rain sell far more copies than people expected?

This is all coming from a guy who loved the game by the way. I know a lot of people that loved the game.

Draconalis

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2008
Cyberdelic said:
If any one would like a new way to play Heavy Rain, it makes a fairly good party game [depressing atmosphere aside].
Get some beers/drinks in and whatever else you want, grab a friend for each of the playable characters, decide whom is whom and play the game whilst changing whom plays as the game changes characters. Each segment of each character is short enough to prevent boredom. This leads to a very organic and interesting game play experience and ending by which no one truly knows how the story will pan out. Plus you get the full enjoyment of watching and taking in what is happening on screen, some thing which I feel I could not fully appreciate the first time around as I was too involved with the quick time events.
This is actually how yy friend and I actually played our only play through of the game, I took two characters, and he took two characters and we switched it around.

However, it was the ONLY way we could bring ourselves to play it. We sat back and Mystery Science 3000ed dat ***** to make it bearable.

For the record, he played the fed and the father, I played the PI and the chick.

Cyberdelic

Mar 20, 2009
Draconalis said:
Cyberdelic said:
If any one would like a new way to play Heavy Rain, it makes a fairly good party game [depressing atmosphere aside].
Get some beers/drinks in and whatever else you want, grab a friend for each of the playable characters, decide whom is whom and play the game whilst changing whom plays as the game changes characters. Each segment of each character is short enough to prevent boredom. This leads to a very organic and interesting game play experience and ending by which no one truly knows how the story will pan out. Plus you get the full enjoyment of watching and taking in what is happening on screen, some thing which I feel I could not fully appreciate the first time around as I was too involved with the quick time events.
This is actually how yy friend and I actually played our only play through of the game, I took two characters, and he took two characters and we switched it around.

However, it was the ONLY way we could bring ourselves to play it. We sat back and Mystery Science 3000ed dat ***** to make it bearable.

For the record, he played the fed and the father, I played the PI and the chick.

Mind if I ask what you found unbearable about the game?

Draconalis

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2008
Cyberdelic said:
Mind if I ask what you found unbearable about the game?
Well... it all started when we got to the clown, and tried our damnedest to not buy our retarded kid a balloon to reward his running off like an idiot. It went down hill from there.

The voice actor recording two versions of "Press X to Jason" in the most lifeless uncaring tones was obnoxious.

The fact that Jason got killed by a car moving 2 miles an hour with a grown man using his body to protect him was pretty terrible. We figure his bones were made of glass and his internal organs were cut or something.

And then there were the completely unexplained black outs that just seemed to... go away after a their plot device was gone.

The pacing was slow... And for me, who can appreciate a slow, story driven plot... that says something. The slow pacing made it only worse with how bad the story was, and how worse it got the more we revealed it.

The list goes on and on... but I think the one thing that REALLY just pissed me off to no end, and made it a completely shit game was when I was in control of one of the characters and murdered a man while in control... because I sure as hell don't remember preforming the actions that ended in his death. That was the deal breaker...

Everything up to that point was annoying... but made semi fun thanks to MS3King (aka mocking the stupidity at every turn) the game.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
Draconalis said:
Gods! This guy cries alot...
Of course he does, he's an auteur, the most insecure and childish kind of creator on the planet. Maybe if he was actually talented he'd have a right to complain, but unfortunately he's not

Ubermetalhed

Sep 15, 2009
Piecewise said:
Ubermetalhed said:
Piecewise said:
Ubermetalhed said:
And here we go again.

All those who haven't played the games and just want to flame Heavy Rain et al please form an orderly queue...

Fahrenheit and Heavy Rain were great games. They are just not highly marketable though, much like Shadow of the Collosus, God hand, Okami etc aren't going to be household names even though they are brilliant.

He has a right to speak his mind about it but then again so do alot of other developers with underappreciated games.

Oh and he is right about one thing. Indigo Prophecy is a shit name.
Did you honestly compare shadow of the colossus to Heavy rain? That is just...you are...just get out.
Seriously.
Get out. GET OUT.
I was making the point that unique games like Shadow of the Collosus and Heavy Rain aren't going to sell as well as games like COD regardless of how good they are.

And I didn't directly compare them, not that it should matter anyway unless you are that much of an idiot...oh wait.

So how about you 'GET OUT'.
And again, misspelling COLOSSUS. Is it that hard? CO-LOSS-US.

And yes, unique games tend not to sell, but that wasn't why heavy rain didn't sell. Heavy rain didn't sell because it wasn't very good. It was held up on two basic points, the graphics and the "unique" game play, but in the end the gameplay consisted of an incredibly slow series of quicktime events and dragging two dimensional characters who might as well have had their parts within the generic crime novel plot tattooed on their foreheads. And even the graphics turned out to be less then stellar on many occasions.

And what ticks me off is that you're acting like it's on equal footing with something like SOTC simply because they are both unique. And yes, Heavy rain is unique, it's unique in much the same way that a modern doctor using trepidation is unique. It's not worthy of being compared.
I wasn't directly comparing them. I wasn't acting like they were on equal footing. Somehow your reading into things that aren't there.

And if you like to believe Shadow of the COLOSSUS is in its own gaming singularity where no other game can be mentioned in the same sentence regardless of the context then fine.

thenoblitt

May 7, 2009
only reason that made the game bad was a crappy translation, the dialogue was awful and the voice acting was godawful to ok never good

Zouriz

Apr 28, 2011
Didn't a co-worker say that this game lost 13 million due to used game sales? Can't anyone take responsibility for their own actions?

JohnDoey

Jun 30, 2009
he's so right thats why littlebigplanet, mario cart wii, and dance central did so poorly oh wait.

IamLEAM1983

Neloth's got swag.
Aug 22, 2011
Yeah, Cage is way off base. Americans and North-Americans aren't all gore-obsessed urban cowboys salivating at the prospect of loading our guns for whatever reason. North America in general is the birthplace of a huge selection of incredibly thoughtful and engrossing games. I'm sure I don't need to list any.

He sounds more than a little butthurt, and assumes far too much. It's true that the FPS is the current king of all game genres, as sales figures can indicate - but Heavy Rain failed primarily because of Cage's esoteric game design philosophy. I need to hold down a clutch to walk? Seriously? The prospect of waggling a joystick to shave myself is supposed to better my immersion? He's wasting time on crap like that when a sheet of paper would have more depth than his characters?

Plus - I personally took offense at how he quickly abandoned all semblance of a coherent plot and threw Matrix moves in our faces (Indigo Prophecy) or ridiculous Augmented Reality gimmicks in the context of an otherwise fairly realistic investigation (Heavy Rain). David Cage seems to build up a hefty list of interesting features and plot points, and then gives up halfway across the page, choosing to throw in Kung Fu and glowy bits and an FBI investigator with his own damned Construct to work in.

It's like he's unable to decide whether he's working for adults or for some perceived younger demographic that's guaranteed to tune him out if martial arts and/or futuristic tidbits and weird conspiracies aren't tossed in.

This is just my opinion, but if Cage wants to take a master class on how to build a proper narrative while staying away from combat or shooty bits, he doesn't need to look further than L.A. Noire. These two aspects absolutely aren't major defining elements of Cole Phelps' career, and literally everything rests on his character. He's not as profound as could be, but still is far more complex than, say, Scott Shelby or Lucas Kane.

WeAreStevo

Sep 22, 2011
Dear Mr. Heavy Rain creator,

It's not that I only like games with "guns and guts." It's that I played Heavy Rain for 45 minutes, and all I did was an awkward hand jive with the six-axis controller as my character brushed his teeth.

I play games to escape from my dull, boring everyday routine. I don't play them to watch some jackass simulate the same boring activities I am capable of doing but this time with real life controller shaking action...

Seriously, perhaps if more people got past that BS it would have been better.

StarCecil

Feb 28, 2010
I really liked Indigo Prophecy and Heavy Rain. However, he needs to realize that his games have never had mass appeal. Ever.

lokiduck

Jun 5, 2010
I laughed so hard when I saw the title.

I enjoyed the Lp i saw for Heavy Rain, it was beautiful and different... but it was also boring in the beginning...

Frankly Mr. Cage just makes me think of all the "misunderstood" My mom puts up with in the co-op gallery she's in.

Normandyfoxtrot

Feb 17, 2011
They might work better if they where visual novels rather than trying to actually be full on games I think the man just needs to understand his product better before he rushes out to blame say a entire nation.

Gladion

Jan 19, 2009
Well, this thread at least proves that America cannot read. Cage never said that America was too stupid for his games. In fact, he said the exact opposite.
He just said that video game marketers don't like to work with his games because THEY THINK America wants nothing else than "guns and guts". This thread makes me think they may have a point.

Normandyfoxtrot

Feb 17, 2011
Generally when some one says oh, the marketing firms don't like me, they generally always have already made the leap of simply assuming that the whole populous agrees.