Heavy Rain Dev Sticks to PS3

MarsProbe

Circuitboard Seahorse
Dec 13, 2008
2,372
0
0
Well, isn't that just tragic? Anyway, I'm not really bothered about missing out on any more of QD's games (especially if they're anything like Heavy Rain).

Something I'll try not to get too upset about as I get to sit down and play Child of Eden/DX: Human Revolution/Portal 2 and the like on my 360 later in the year. Though I would also just as easily be able to play those games on a PS3. Now isn't that a peculiar concept?
 

Carlston

New member
Apr 8, 2008
1,554
0
0
Suskie said:
Carlston said:
As ports always seems to drag a game down to the weakest console.
You obviously haven't read the Crysis 2 reviews, then. Or the Bayonetta reviews, for that matter.
I'll have a pop over and look at um then.
 
Mar 26, 2008
3,429
0
0
Hang on, I own Fahrenheit on the *dun dun duuuuuun* Xbox. Did QD have a falling out with Microsoft or was it a case of they didn't offer them a big enough sack with a dollar sign on it?
 

Jumplion

New member
Mar 10, 2008
7,873
0
0
All I want from Quantic Dream is some more of that innovation they've got over there.

I do hope, however, that their next game(s) are going to be more focused this time around. In Heavy Rain, they had 4 people to deal with and weave the story around which I'd imagine caused some difficulties in meshing the story together. I'd like to just stick with one character and go from there.
 

RA92

New member
Jan 1, 2011
3,079
0
0
MassiveGeek said:
Dr. Pepper Unlimited said:
Zhukov said:
I hate exclusives, regardless of platform.
Ditto. I was never a fan of the infamous "exclusive".
Ditto.
I'll never get to play Heavy Rain now... unless I can convince my boyfriend who has a PS3 to get it.
Ditto. I hate it how those motherfuckers at MS took away Crimson Skies from the PC to promote the XBox.

And is it economically viable anymore not to release multiplatform titles?
 

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
3,847
0
0
Straying Bullet said:
Being part of a company [ Sony ] that bludgeons everyone to death with a Legal Team.

Hope you are proud of that one!
My thoughts exactly. I'm getting so sick of Sony between the lawsuits and the constant ignoring of customers asking for even the most basic features to be added to the platform that I don't even want to look at my PS3 anymore. Which sucks because I'll have to if Quantic Dream puts out another interesting game.

I'm seriously thinking of stashing this thing in my closet until Sony stops being massive dicks to everyone, or until Twisted Metal comes out. ...So until Twisted Metal comes out, because Sony is right up there with EA and Activision when it comes to being dicks.

HassEsser said:
All Sony's legal team is doing is protecting their system from rampant piracy, which is what's currently happening; they aren't "bludgeoning" anyone that don't deserve it.

Granted, Hotz only wanted to run homebrew, before his work got exploited, and Sony went off the deep end on him; but it doesn't put Sony in the wrong.
I'd believe that first statement if Sony was suing pirates. But they aren't, so they are totally in the wrong because what they are doing is trying to say that none of us actually own our PS3s, we're just renting them.
 

Scorched_Cascade

Innocence proves nothing
Sep 26, 2008
1,399
0
0
Surely there can't be that many people out there who would play this type of game? Its fairly niche and belongs to a "new genre". Surely then they are handicapping themselves by limiting further their already limited customer base?

I would have thought the best strategy would be to attack the market it with it so they get more gamers used to the genre and perhaps craving more.

This can't be sound business strategy.
 

domicius

New member
Apr 2, 2008
212
0
0
I guess it sucks that the game wasn't successful enough to go cross platform. Oh well, better luck next time Quantic Dream...
 

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
3,147
0
0
TheRightToArmBears said:
"they fund our projects"

That's all he needed to say. And anyway, I don't mind the 'best console' bit. Everyone has an opinion on what they think the best console is.
Exactly, he's got as much to have a favoriate system and voice it as anyone else. Sounds like he's had a good experience with Sony and thus is staying with them, smart move :)

Scorched_Cascade said:
Surely there can't be that many people out there who would play this type of game? Its fairly niche and belongs to a "new genre". Surely then they are handicapping themselves by limiting further their already limited customer base?

I would have thought the best strategy would be to attack the market it with it so they get more gamers used to the genre and perhaps craving more.

This can't be sound business strategy.
When Sony is funding your project on the basis that it stays on their system there aint much choice, besides I doubt it'd be much difference in sales.
 

Defense

New member
Oct 20, 2010
870
0
0
Ooh, maybe next time I'll actually look at their games. Heavy Rain seemed too restrictive to be fun, and I always hated QTEs.
mjc0961 said:
Straying Bullet said:
Being part of a company [ Sony ] that bludgeons everyone to death with a Legal Team.

Hope you are proud of that one!
My thoughts exactly. I'm getting so sick of Sony between the lawsuits and the constant ignoring of customers asking for even the most basic features to be added to the platform that I don't even want to look at my PS3 anymore. Which sucks because I'll have to if Quantic Dream puts out another interesting game.

I'm seriously thinking of stashing this thing in my closet until Sony stops being massive dicks to everyone, or until Twisted Metal comes out. ...So until Twisted Metal comes out, because Sony is right up there with EA and Activision when it comes to being dicks.

HassEsser said:
All Sony's legal team is doing is protecting their system from rampant piracy, which is what's currently happening; they aren't "bludgeoning" anyone that don't deserve it.

Granted, Hotz only wanted to run homebrew, before his work got exploited, and Sony went off the deep end on him; but it doesn't put Sony in the wrong.
I'd believe that first statement if Sony was suing pirates. But they aren't, so they are totally in the wrong because what they are doing is trying to say that none of us actually own our PS3s, we're just renting them.
I honestly can't believe people would do this Geohot shit in every single article that mentions Sony. But I guess OP tried to make funny.

*SPOILER ALERT* Sony isn't the only company that does this shit. Microsoft sues their hackers and pirates, and Nintendo sues their pirates as well, and plans on bricking every 3DS for running unauthorized material. Might as well stash all of your consoles.

Anyways, I really doubt that you even used OtherOS once, so it's not that basic.
 

Racecarlock

New member
Jul 10, 2010
2,497
0
0
You mean I won't be able to simulate the incredibly exciting acts of shaving, setting tables, opening fridges and medicine cabinets, and frying eggs on my 360? Oh well, guess i'll have to do those in real life.
 

Yossarian1507

New member
Jan 20, 2010
681
0
0
Racecarlock said:
You mean I won't be able to simulate the incredibly exciting acts of shaving, setting tables, opening fridges and medicine cabinets, and frying eggs on my 360? Oh well, guess i'll have to do those in real life.
Yeah, because that's all Heavy Rain is about, and not, for example, about struggles of the father to save his beloved son from a horrible death... I just love this kind of comments.
Jumplion said:
I do hope, however, that their next game(s) are going to be more focused this time around. In Heavy Rain, they had 4 people to deal with and weave the story around which I'd imagine caused some difficulties in meshing the story together. I'd like to just stick with one character and go from there.
I disagree. I love the concept of having different characters involved on the same matter. Just look at the real life situations. It's amazing, how two people can see the exact same situation different. So many details and nuances are lost, simply because the perspective of one person denies them or finds them irrelevant, and that's why I clap my hands for QD for dwelling on the subject. Of course, they're still far from perfect on that field, but they're improving (Fahrenheit was the first step, Heavy Rain polished it, but there's still MUCH MUCH more room for the improvement), and are one of the few devs who are not afraid of trying. It's difficult to put it all together, but the're doing their best, and I'm sure they'll come up with perfect solution at some point, if they won't give it up. And it will be glorious.
 

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
13,768
0
41
Korten12 said:
Zhukov said:
The key words in that article being, "But they fund our projects."

*sigh*

I hate exclusives, regardless of platform.
then what would be the point of multi platforms if each one has each game.
Uhh... why does there need to be a "point"?

But to answer your quetion, how about the inherent strengths of the actual platform? Hardware or controls and the like. I would rather choose a platform based on those factors rather then on who has managed to bribe which developers.

Noelveiga said:
Dr. Pepper Unlimited said:
Zhukov said:
I hate exclusives, regardless of platform.
Ditto. I was never a fan of the infamous "exclusive".
Don't tell that to the hardcore PC gamer crowd. They seem to have very strong opinions on multiplatform releases for some reason.
Funny thing. I am a PC gamer. (Dunno if I qualify for "hardcore" though. I hope not.) And I still hate the practise of exclusives. Hell, even PC exclusives. I think it's good that Crysis has gone multiplatform and I wish Amnesia was available on consoles.
 

HapexIndustries

New member
Mar 8, 2011
190
0
0
So if they're making games exclusively for the PS3... then what fucking excuse do they have for the amount of screen tearing in Heavy Rain?

Seriously, it was terrible. It was akin to having the camera go out of focus every now and then during a good movie: yeah it was bearable but GIVE ME A FUCKING BREAK.
 

Trogdor1138

New member
May 28, 2010
1,116
0
0
Well it makes sense if they want the extra space of the Blu Ray and are used to the PS3, don't fix what isn't broken etc.

I absolutely love Heavy Rain so I eagerly await their next project.

Also, the comment in the article about his comments designed to spark a flame war is hilariously ironic coming from the "journalism" of the Escapist lately...
 

GonzoGamer

New member
Apr 9, 2008
7,063
0
0
Scorched_Cascade said:
Surely there can't be that many people out there who would play this type of game? Its fairly niche and belongs to a "new genre". Surely then they are handicapping themselves by limiting further their already limited customer base?

I would have thought the best strategy would be to attack the market it with it so they get more gamers used to the genre and perhaps craving more.

This can't be sound business strategy.
With the kind of games they make, they can probably make that up with those fanboys who will buy anything 'exclusive.'
Without the marketing/hype push from Sony, this game probably wouldn't have gotten very far.

Then again, I might just be saying that because I didn't like it.
Sony does have the reputation for being the platform for all the weird titles that don't neatly fit in a category, I just wasn't sure if Heavy Rain fits in the 'game' category.