Heavy Rain Nude Shower Scene Also Leaked

sneakypenguin

Elite Member
Legacy
Jul 31, 2008
Country
usa
Wow that looked wretchedly awful. From the graphics to gameplay the people are horribly plastic the movements just awkward, not to mention it seems like a slo mo SIM's game.

TylerC

Nov 12, 2008
Andronicus said:
TylerC said:
I thought everyone hated quick time events.
To tell the truth, I was always fairly nonplussed about them, but I can see where people can get irritated by them. As I've said before, the reason people don't like them is because they are essentially improperly incorporated into a game, and also dumb it down to "Press X to not die". I think it would be a difficult job to get over the idea of a quick-time event basically being "Press X to not die", but I've always been of the opinion that there is a way to build an intriguing and entirely functional gameplay system out of quick-time events, and I think Heavy Rain is a convincing step towards that goal. Whether or not I'm right in that respect is yet to be seen, but I am definitely going to buy Heavy Rain to see how well they've implemented it.
Oh, yeah, I'm not saying this game is going to be bad. I mean this is 6 min. of a game that will most likely span many hours. But from that video, I feel like my hands and arms would start to get tired...and that whole fight scene really was; Press a button to not die, flick a stick to not die, or shake the controller to not die. But like I said, that's just a small portion of what we're going to see in the final product.

Joa_Belgium

Aug 29, 2009
I just watched until she got attacked and it looked tense. I'll play the rest once the game releases at the end of this month.

Eukaryote said:
Wow, that looks like the most boring game I have ever seen, and I use the term lightly. I have insulted the concept of this game form day one, and have found no reason not to insult it more.

My biggest complaints:
-Crappy graphics
-The gameplay is essentially only quicktime events
-It is an interactive movie
-If you just watched that scene, you'll agree with me if I say that game is real life + criminals and conspiracy. Why throw in her going through her nightly routine? WHO CARES? I don't want to watch her take a birth control pill, shower, pee, admire herself in the mirror- I can do all those things in real life!(ok, I would admittedly mess up my hormonal balance big time if I took a BCP, but you get my point I'm sure) What is the point of Escapism if you are emulating actual life?
-Everyone is making a big fuss about showing boobs. This has really disappointed me. I thought the mean average maturity in the world adult population was above that of an 8 year old, but I guess not. I would be disappointed if anyone made a fuss about showing genitals, but that at least is SLIGHTLY more understandable than being upset about breasts!

This game is bad news for the industry, and even worse news as a game indicative of where we are going as a medium.
Crappy graphics? Have you even watched the same footage I just saw?

Exactly: it is an interactive movie, which doesn't necessarily make it a bad videogame. Ask yourself this: would the characters feel realistic if they didn't do day-to-day activities we all do such as going to the toilet, showering etc? It doesn't have anything to do with the naked portrayal of a character. It just portrays the characters as real humans. Besides: it's just a naked woman. Nothing I haven't seen before, get over it.

I don't care if the game exists mainly out of quicktime events. As long as I get dragged into a compelling story and I'm having a good time, I'm picking this one up. People complained about the long cutscenes in Metal Gear Solid 4, but hey: I still had one hell of a time playing and experiencing it.

I couldn't disagree with you more: this is innovative, looks gorgeous and I bet it plays like a dream. You do know these same creators made Fahrenheit, a PC game that included brilliant storytelling?

And this is only one portion of the game. I had the chance to interview David Cage a few years back and he told me that there are about 50 to 60 scenes in the game, which divide over four different characters who are all involved in the Origami murders.

Zepren

The Funnyman
Sep 2, 2009
Hmmmmmmm shes abit dirty no? No change of clothes after her shower, didnt wipe after going for a pee and didnt wash her hands either? Maybe its cuz its the french version.

Damn, so wanted rorshach to burst out of the fridge.

Does heavy rain win the worlds longest quick-time event award?

Chewster

It's yer man Chewy here!
Apr 24, 2008
Yep, realistic video game nakedness. Yip ee i o kay-ay. Also, she didn't wipe.

Also also, I don't fully get the point of this game, as it seems more and more like an interactive film, which Hideo Kojima already has the market cornered on. Push up to take your shirt off. Exciting stuff.

And I really think that "leaked" is inaccurate, and the term "purposefully released to gauge the reaction of the video game public" ought to be subbed in instead.

Eukaryote said:
I realize the gaming industry is diverse, but the problem in my mind is good developers and teams wasting time on games like Heavy Rain. Of course, everything I said was based on opinion but I am sure there are others who see it the same way. Ultimately it boils down to my viewpoint that video games should not have an emphasis in graphics(duh) or storyline, but rather in gameplay (ironic, coming from a guy whose favourite game is Morrowind).
Or developers could focus on how to fuse the storyline (narrative, plot, whatever) and the gameplay flawlessly, like we've seen that UbiSoft is capable of doing?

I mean, why must it be one extreme or the other?

Femaref

May 4, 2008
Didn't Yahtzee say "If you use quick time events, make it a core element of gameplay [instead of just throwing it in there for the matter of having QTE"? So this should be about it, it's a game which features QTE as core gameplay element.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
Looked kick ass to me, the nudity was very tasteful and hardly exploitative. I like how her breasts are actual breasts instead of 10 ton, gravity defying, melons.

Overall, this just has me more excited for the game.

Tzekelkan

Dec 27, 2009
Eukaryote said:
-snip-
I realize the gaming industry is diverse, but the problem in my mind is good developers and teams wasting time on games like Heavy Rain. Of course, everything I said was based on opinion but I am sure there are others who see it the same way. Ultimately it boils down to my viewpoint that video games should not have an emphasis in graphics(duh) or storyline, but rather in gameplay (ironic, coming from a guy whose favourite game is Morrowind).
Sure, there are lots of people that think like you and hold Heavy Rain in the same light as you. However, there are also many others that believe it will be a good game. And ultimately whether its developement was a waste of time or not is going to be revealed after its release through the form of its profitability: if it makes money, then it wasn't a waste of time. If it's a flop and everyone at Quantic Dream loses their jobs and die of hunger, then yes, it was a waste of time.

I agree with you on graphics (though an appealing visual style is very important... I don't mind playing games with outdated graphics, I just dislike playing ugly games), though I find story is equally important. For example, Prototype is a game whose gameplay I found extremely addicting. I could bash those little soldiers and destroy their bases all day. Then, before finishing it, I got Mass Effect and was hooked by its story, even though I disliked the combat (i.e. gameplay) a lot.

Games are what we each define them to be. If to you games are about mind-blowing gameplay, then don't buy Heavy Rain, that's the end of it. I'm sure there will be others who will and that the developers really didn't expect to win everyone over with their creation. You can't make everyone happy at the same time.

Eukaryote said:
I think I addressed the criticism you have for my criticism in the text above this, but I have to point out: just because a team has made a good game in the past does not mean everything they make will be good.
You're entirely correct. Though you have to admit that it's not impossible that a company with a good game under its belt will continue to make good games (especially in the same genre, see Valve, Bungie, Rockstar, Nintendo, Blizzard etc). It's pretty commonplace to have confidence in the producers of a game you liked. If they disappoint, life goes on, no one dies, it's going to be all right.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
Eukaryote said:
FloodOne said:
Eukaryote said:
This game is bad news for the industry, and even worse news as a game indicative of where we are going as a medium.
Are you kidding me? This is exactly what the industry needs. Something fresh, mature and innovative when everyone is busy spending their millions on making the same game over and over.

Your opinion on the gameplay is yours to have, but don't be so bold as to say this is bad for the most creative industry in the world just because it's different.
This is fresh and innovative, but in the wrong areas, or at the very least that is how I see it.

I whole-heartedly disagree that the game is mature, however. Heavy Rain ultimately uses censorship, and that is never mature.
Censorship? Where? The points where they covered up her "netherlands"? Hardly a big deal, it actually brings out some subtlety into this. The boobs are going "HEY, LOOK AT ME!" and there's no reason to look any lower, how is showing restraint on sexuality not mature?

seditary

Aug 17, 2008
The fight sequence looked fairly good, though how many times did they smack her around (especially her forehead straight into a table) without any seeming effect?

Massive valleys I fell way into though.

internetzealot1

Aug 11, 2009
Well, I'm starting to get a bad worse feeling about this game. It looks like you'll be put into situations where you have some things you can mess around with, but only have one option to progress the game. And from there, its quick-time events.

But then again, boobies.

Anarien

Mar 30, 2007
Visulth said:
I'd probably prefer if she was less life-like simply because she's not life-like enough that I recognize her as fully human.
For what was hyped, the graphics aren't that realistic and I'm left with this same feeling. The animations look stiff. I couldn't help but notice that her boobs didn't move. It's a weird detail, but I guess since I'm familiar with having boobs and walking around in a camisole, it stood out. The strangeness of the shower and the fact the toilet seemed to lack a door were also weird. It's a kind of voyeurism here. The not wiping, no hand washing, the sudden, and obvious change of camera angle to shield her lower half, other aspects -- all of these little details add up to making the whole thing feel 'off'.

At one point when a guy grabbed her, it looked like she barely had any weight to her. Not sure how to describe it better.

Aside from all that, the gameplay looks like it barely needs the player. Cage has promised us an interactive movie, but I'm looking for a game.

CarlsonAndPeeters

Mar 18, 2009
My problem with this game is the focus on story AND the reliance on QTEs. Granted the QTEs seem well-executed, but I feel like it would be very frustrating to get attached to one of the characters, then watch them time because you messed up some button presses. That wouldn't be emotional; that would be aggravating.

The Youth Counselor

Sep 20, 2008
I have a feeling that the American version will have the nudity removed. But the American media is going to go into a furor anyway, Austrailia and Germany will be among the first to ban it and nobody would care.

Then a "special edition" with the cut content will be released for the U.S. on Steam/PC.

HolidayBrick

Nov 18, 2009
This game looks to be made up entirely of quicktime and slowtime events... strange... I clearly don't understand the appeal.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
Eukaryote said:
It seemed to me like they were trying to be mature about the sexuality, by not making a big deal about it in game(no boob physics, the camera does not centre on them), which is undermined by the fact that they still used censorship.
What censorship though? Covering up a vagina is nothing really, it's no worse than what many movies do to keep subtlety and restraint. Not all censorship is bad censorship.