Heavy Rain's Intro Leaked

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Heavy Rain's Intro Leaked

If you don't want to see two and a half minutes of heavy rain in Heavy Rain [http://www.amazon.com/Heavy-Rain-Playstation-3/dp/B002CZ38KA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1279054514&sr=1-1], don't click this news post.

Normally, in a post like this, I'd put up a spoiler warning for people who don't want to have their valuable gaming experiences sullied by (purposefully or otherwise) inconsiderate jerks - for instance, my boss [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/columns/context-sensitive/7095-Spoiler-Alert].

But here, I'm not sure I need to bother - there doesn't look like there's actually anything plot-relevant in this intro sequence. Hell, there doesn't look like there's any plot in it, at all. It's just... lots and lots of rain. And people in the rain, living their lives.

What's interesting about this intro movie to me is what it says about the game. It immediately brings to mind the opening credits of a film in its composition, which is fitting for the film-noir stylings of Heavy Rain as a whole. It's also fitting considering that - as we've seen - the game plays like an interactive movie, and I don't mean in the same way that Nate Drake's adventures do: The Uncharted games are "cinematic," while Heavy Rain aims at being a truly controllable film.

Rather than being action-packed and introducing you to the characters (like, say, the opening of Left 4 Dead 2 [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/95644-Leaked-Left-4-Dead-2-Trailer-Turns-Up-On-YouTube]), this seems to be aiming to just convey a feeling of general atmosphere, and it's pretty effective in that. The game is about real people tackling real problems (oh, and tracking down a killer or something), so why shouldn't the intro movie evoke that?

Now if only they can fix the Magical Appearing Car at 2:00 in - but hey, Quantic Dream has almost a whole month left to go before the game comes out, right? Shouldn't be too hard to fix an obvious glitch like that.

The Heavy Rain demo is scheduled to come out next week, so we'll be able to see if it lives up to everything Quantic has promised it will be.

(Via AGB [http://www.allgamesbeta.info/2010/02/heavy-rain-intro.html])

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
Beautiful, just beautiful. Awesome music too! Wonderful detail. Would even fit the beginning of a movie. It is Heavy Rain so...

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Oh my god. That game is beautiful. Especially if that is the in-game engine.

OT: It doesn't spoil a damn thing.

jpakaferrari

Nov 9, 2009
I really haven't been keeping up with this game but that was a truly awesome opening scene. As you mentioned very much like a film. Good music as Nouw mentioned too. I might have to check it out.

Heart of Darkness

The final days of His Trolliness
Jul 1, 2009
Wow, that's very well done. Music fits the mood perfectly, the rain is believable...wow. Nice.

Zepren

The Funnyman
Sep 2, 2009
For a game called "Heavy Rain", the rain in that looked pretty light to what we get round here..... (scotland btw)

On topic: You see as an Xbox 360 gamer, i've kinda let Heavy Rain pass me by. I thought maybe watching that would explain what it's all about...... erm it didn't lol. Looked like a more peaceful version on GTA

Simalacrum

Resident Juggler
Apr 17, 2008
whoa whoa whoa.

Susan Arednt is your boss?

I thought you two were, like, on the same level of things on The Escapist staff!

OT: I hate to sound like one of our robotic [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/escapist-news-network/1047-ROJO] enemies [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/97898-Robots-Evolve-Learn-to-Become-Better-Predators], the first thing that popped into my head when I saw that was 'cinematic'. Looks promising!

Vigilantis

Jan 14, 2010
Looks like one of those really expensive openings for a short art film. It looks good but I'm still iffy on the actual gameplay. Either way, I'll be seeing this "movie" whether I buy it, rent it, or watch someone else watch it.

SonicKoala

The Night Zombie
Sep 8, 2009
Eh, I'm skeptical - sure, it looks fantastic, but how is this "controllable film" thing really going to work? I'm rather against this idea of trying to make video games more like movies - Heavy Rain has the potential to either greatly strengthen that opinion, or completely change it. For now, it strikes me as a game trying too hard to be deep.

Mar 26, 2008
Typical Quantic Dreams intro, except instead of a panning camera going through the city it is a fixed camera at different locations. The music is great as usual.
I'm just not convinced that this isn't Fahrenheit 2.0 at the moment. Will have to download the demo.

The Random One

May 29, 2008
That appearing car will turn out to be CRITICAL to the storyline.

Fornunately, I don't own a PS3, so I won't be spoiled, since I won't play the game anyway! Unfortunately, that's a very loose meaning for 'fortunately'.

jebbo

Jul 17, 2009
SonicKoala said:
Eh, I'm skeptical - sure, it looks fantastic, but how is this "controllable film" thing really going to work? I'm rather against this idea of trying to make video games more like movies - Heavy Rain has the potential to either greatly strengthen that opinion, or completely change it. For now, it strikes me as a game trying too hard to be deep.
I think the idea is that Quantic just want to try something different. I dont think it's about making games more like movies but trying to bridge the gap - but not in a Hideo Kojima way of doing things. This is neither game nor movie, it's supposedly an attempt at something else.

I think a lot of people are skeptical about it, the controls, just how much interaction the player is going to have etc and hopefully there wont be too many morons running around going duhz i dont get it!?!? ROFL its not even a proper game but I'l be getting a good look into this when it arrives just to see it for myself exactly what has been created.

It could be pants, it could be a broken mess or worse (in the eyes of what it's trying to achieve) just have a terrible story. I really hope not and I hope it does become a defining moment or at least something people remember, and hey if its popular then maybe we will see the start of a new genre...

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Nouw said:
Beautiful, just beautiful. Awesome music too! Wonderful detail. Would even fit the beginning of a movie. It is Heavy Rain so...
It made me feel like I was in a film...very nice. I liked it

fozzy360

I endorse Jurassic Park
Oct 20, 2009
Can't wait for the demo.

That was a really good intro. A lot of games nowadays just lazily stick the logo at the beginning of the game, so I quite enjoyed how Quantic Dream did this intro.

I really want to play this one.

FlyAwayAutumn

Rating: Negative Awesome
May 19, 2009
Amazing... honestly what to say. It's very beautiful and as long as I have some say in what happens then I'm sure it will be fun. Even if you're skeptical about it this game definitely deserves renting, for me I put my money down as soon as I heard about it.

Drundy

Dec 9, 2009
God i cannot wait for this game.Fahrenheit was one of my favorite games.

Mar 26, 2008
jebbo said:
It could be pants, it could be a broken mess or worse (in the eyes of what it's trying to achieve) just have a terrible story. I really hope not and I hope it does become a defining moment or at least something people remember, and hey if its popular then maybe we will see the start of a new genre...
The story to Fahrenheit was brilliant until it went batshit bananas about three quarters of the way through. It also seems to "control" the same way Fahrenheit did which was a more intuitive slant on the QTE.
I think it will be one of those niche games where it is loved by a group of the gaming community but shunned by the mainstream.