Hello, Elliot Page

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Telling people one thing means you can't then keep that specific thing secret, obviously, but he didn't do that. Telling people one thing doesn't also mean you forfeit your right to privacy across the board.
Oddly enough, I have known people who think that "public figures" actually don't have a right to privacy. The most extreme example I've personally seen, oddly enough, came from a gay guy I used to talk to on skype back in the day. He was part of an online roleplaying site I played World of Darkness stuff on, and he was part of my player "cell", so we'd chat all the time. And this was several years ago, around the time that a female ex-astronaut, came out as gay. It made a tiny ripple in the news, and he commented that she should've come out earlier (while she was an astronaut in the...90s i think?), as it would've helped a lot of other LGBTQ people to know someone like her was so successful and what not. And I responded that she has a right to privacy, if she doesn't want the whole world to know about her bedroom business, regardless of how she swings, that's her right. And he disagreed, basically saying, that by nature of her being a public figure and celebrity. Questionable as I'd never heard of her, I suspect she was one of those work-a-day astronauts that just did their job and didn't get much fan fare, during the middle years of the shuttle program.

But yeah, I specifically asked him whether or not she had the right to privacy, and he basically said "no, she doesn't because she's a celebrity/public figure. and because of that fact, every facet of their lives is fair game" which....I found very strange.

Now I, as a straight cis male, found it strange, to be defending this lady, from a very vocal and outspoken gay guy, given the context of the topic. And I'd like to think his viewpoint is the outlier, on the spectrum of opinions on the subject, but, given how increasingly online every aspect of a person's...well, persona is, it might be increasing.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
It does apply because it's a public post you've made. Deliberately for the public to see and acknowledge. You can't turn around and then claim it private.
You posting a facebook photo of you on the beach, doesn't then give ME the right, to demand to know where you went that night, who you saw, did you fuck anyone, who were they, which one of you was the dominant in the relationship, etc etc. Stating something, isn't opening the door to every other facet of that thing for the world. YOU have the right to say "Who I fucked during my beach trip that I shared with the world, is (rightly) none of your business, unless you were the one I was fucking, which you weren't" There are layers to all of it, and showing one layer of something, doesn't automatically open up all the other layers. If YOU choose to share "hey wild night at the beach club! Banged 3 people under the stars! What a memory!" That STILL doesn't give me the right to demand to know who you banged.

That's the difference here.

Reactions: Xprimentyl