Hello Games Back to Work After December Flooding

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Hello Games Back to Work After December Flooding

Hello Games will do "whatever it takes" to make sure No Man's Sky isn't delayed as a result of recent flood damage.

Hello Games hasn't had the best time recently. The independent developer behind the much anticipated No Man's Sky suffered severe damage to its offices back in December thanks to a <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/130830-No-Mans-Sky-and-Joe-Danger-Developer-Hello-Games-Suffers-Flood>series of floods that wrecked a good portion of the team's equipment. This damage was made all the worse by the revelation that the studio's insurance wouldn't <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/130897-Hello-Games-Not-Insured-for-Flood-Damage-Microsoft-VP-Might-Help>cover the damage. As far as game studios go, it was pretty much a worst case scenario.

That said, the developer has announced in a recent blog post that it's now back in business, though not without some substantial losses. "We lost all our PCs, laptops, equipment, furniture, dev-kits, work in the blink of an eye," said managing director Sean Murray. "I don't want to say out loud the value of what we lost, it's horrible. It would probably fund a small game." Despite this, the company is now working from a new temporary location and is back at "full speed." Murray expects Hello Games to find a new permanent office within a few months.

The big question on gamers minds, of course, is whether or not <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/130331-Hello-Games-Announces-New-Sci-Fi-Adventure-No-Mans-Sky>No Man's Sky will be delayed. "We won't let that happen," affirmed Murray. "At times recently I've wanted to be depressed, to wallow, but it's impossible surrounded by this team. They are literally unstoppable. If we've lost some work, we'll make up the time. We'll steal dev-kits. We'll work on a boat. Whatever it takes."

Source: Hello Games

TheScottishFella

The Know-it all Detective
Nov 9, 2009
Yeah alot of UK insurers don't cover flooding in their insurances so when it does happen it can screw alot of people over. Spot of bad luck in any case and wish them all the best.

Albino Boo

Jun 14, 2010
To be honest Guilford can only be improved by flooding. Most insurance companies will not cover areas that are shown as high risk of floods on environment agency maps. You can get cover but you have to pay more for it. Any business should have disaster plan in place to deal with this kind of issue.

DeepComet5581

Mar 30, 2010
albino boo said:
To be honest Guilford can only be improved by flooding. Most insurance companies will not cover areas that are shown as high risk of floods on environment agency maps. You can get cover but you have to pay more for it. Any business should have disaster plan in place to deal with this kind of issue.
I live and work in Guildford. Pray tell exactly how it could be 'improved' by flooding.

I don't get this hatred for the South-East.

Albino Boo

Jun 14, 2010
DeepComet5581 said:
albino boo said:
I live and work in Guildford. Pray tell exactly how it could be 'improved' by flooding.

I've also lived and worked in Guilford and its the second worst place I have lived after Doncaster. Its nothing to do with the Southeast. I liked Brighton, parts of London and I could just about live with Reading.

DeepComet5581

Mar 30, 2010
albino boo said:
DeepComet5581 said:
albino boo said:

I've also lived and worked in Guilford and its the second worst place I have lived after Doncaster. Its nothing to do with the Southeast. I liked Brighton, parts of London and I could just about live with Reading.
Again, how would it be improved by flooding? What exactly is so bad about it?

I don't particularly like Liverpool, but I'm not going to wish to endanger people's lives by hitting it with a natural disaster.