Hello Sweetie - Doctor Who Brings River Song Back For Christmas

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
Hello Sweetie - Doctor Who Brings River Song Back For Christmas

Doctor Who unites Peter Capaldi's Doctor with his wife, River Song, in this year's Christmas Special.

The Doctor has found many companions over the years, but few quite like his wife, <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/moviesandtv/12131-Our-Favorite-Doctor-Who-Moments.4>River Song. Played by Alex Kingston, River shares a rocky past with the Doctor as they keep meeting out-of-order along the timestream, leading to awkward and dangerous encounters. River hasn't appeared since the Series 7 finale, and outside of rumors saying Capaldi's Doctor wore their wedding ring (<a href=http://www.blastr.com/2014-8-13/theres-story-behind-ring-peter-capaldi-will-wear-doctor-who>he doesn't), it seemed that was their last meeting. But according to the BBC, River will be reunited with her husband this December for the eleventh <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/moviesandtv/reviews/12802-Review-Doctor-Who-Christmas-Special-Last-Christmas>Doctor Who Christmas Special.

"Another Christmas, another special for Doctor Who - and what could be more special than the return of Alex Kingston as Professor River Song?" executive producer Steven Moffat said. "The last time the Doctor saw her she was a ghost. The first time he met her, she died. So how can he be seeing her again? As ever, with the most complicated relationship in the universe, it's a matter of time..."

River was first introduced to David Tennant's Doctor in the Series 4 episodes "Silence in the Library" and "Forest of the Dead". That's where the Doctor learned his future self would marry River, but watched her die while saving his life. Matt Smith's Doctor encountered River another thirteen times during his seasons, eventually parting ways in "The Name of the Doctor". This new Christmas Special marks the first meeting between River and Peter Capaldi's Twelfth Doctor.

"To be honest, I did not know whether River would ever return to the show," Kingston explained, "but here she is, back with the Doctor for the Christmas special. Steven Moffat is on glittering form, giving us an episode filled with humor and surprise guest castings. I met Peter for the first time at Monday's read through, we had a laugh, and I am now excited and ready to start filming with him and the Doctor Who team. Christmas in September? Why not!"

It'll be great to see River return to Doctor Who, hopefully bringing the light-hearted spirit of earlier seasons with her. At the same time, it could prove an incredibly sad episode - especially if Capaldi's Doctor takes River on that "last date" she mentioned before her death. After all, it wouldn't be the first Christmas special <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/141509-Doctor-Who-Series-9-Trailer-Has-Peter-Capaldi-Jenna-Coleman-And-Maisie-Wiliams>to play with our emotions that way.

Doctor Who's ninth series will premiere Sept. 19, while River's Christmas Special airs on Dec. 25, 2015.

Source: <a href=http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/doctorwho/entries/32369834-a751-4dca-8829-b1a9ec3fb1cb>BBC

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Well, I'm game. There's alot of characters in Doctor Who that seem to come back alot.

09philj

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 31, 2015
Why Steven? Why? Can we not just go back to the old monster of the week formula? Do we have to have this shit? It all started so well in series 5, but it was all downhill from there. It's just gotten more and more bloody contrived and pleased with itself. There were good episodes in series 8, and those were Flatline and Time Heist. No nonsense, no overarching plot, no gimmicky twists, just solid self contained stories. Can we have more of those?

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
09philj said:
Why Steven? Why? Can we not just go back to the old monster of the week formula? Do we have to have this shit? It all started so well in series 5, but it was all downhill from there. It's just gotten more and more bloody contrived and pleased with itself. There were good episodes in series 8, and those were Flatline and Time Heist. No nonsense, no overarching plot, no gimmicky twists, just solid self contained stories. Can we have more of those?
He's keeping Clara for the new series despite the universally positive fan reaction to her being effectively written out of the show at the end of the last series, I don't think he'd get a message if it was tied to a brick and thrown at his head at this point.

Gizmo1990

Insert funny title here
Oct 19, 2010
I have been trying very hard over the last few years to stop watching Doctor Who due to me being of the opinion that Moffat's writing has been at his best boring and at his worst simply bad but I keep watching. But with she who must not be named appearing in the christmas episode I think I might finaly be able to at least not watch that episode.

Baby steps.

Creator002

Aug 30, 2010
Awesome. I really like River Song's character and some of her lines (and the delivery) are just... MMM![footnote]Well, I was on my way to this gay gypsy Bar Mitzvah for the disabled when I suddenly thought, "gosh! The third Reich's a bit rubbish. I think I'll kill the Führer." Who's with me?[/footnote]

Fanghawk said:
At the same time, it could prove an incredibly sad episode - especially if Capaldi's Doctor takes River on that "last date" she mentioned before her death.
Pretty sure that happened in a mini series called "Night of the Doctor" with Matt Smith. I could be wrong as I saw it a few years ago, but I'm sure the last episode of that series is the night of that date.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Queen Michael said:
canadamus_prime said:
Damnit! I was hoping she'd stay gone.
Me too. She's so smug. I can't stand that.
She was an intriguing mystery when she was first introduced, but the more we learned about her the less I liked her.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Goddamnit. Enough of her...and Clara already. And everything Moffatt does now that RTD isn't holding his leash, actually.

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
Creator002 said:
Awesome. I really like River Song's character and some of her lines (and the delivery) are just... MMM![footnote]Well, I was on my way to this gay gypsy Bar Mitzvah for the disabled when I suddenly thought, "gosh! The third Reich's a bit rubbish. I think I'll kill the Führer." Who's with me?[/footnote]

Fanghawk said:
At the same time, it could prove an incredibly sad episode - especially if Capaldi's Doctor takes River on that "last date" she mentioned before her death.
Pretty sure that happened in a mini series called "Night of the Doctor" with Matt Smith. I could be wrong as I saw it a few years ago, but I'm sure the last episode of that series is the night of that date.
Wasn't Night of the Doctor the one where the Eighth Doctor becomes the War Doctor? You might be thinking Name of The Doctor (which I first mistakenly posted as "Time of the Doctor" and fixed), but even then they didn't have the date she described. At least not the way I remember it, it has been a while.

PsiMatrix

Gray Jedi
Feb 4, 2008
Creator002 said:
Awesome. I really like River Song's character and some of her lines (and the delivery) are just... MMM!
Fanghawk said:
She mentioned in her first appearance with Tenth "there you were, all dressed up and with a new face" but given she had a considerable amount of time with Eleventh then Twelfth would logically be the one to take her on her last date.

I just hope this year's special isn't as depressing as last years; Merry Christmas, lady in a wheelchair and woman who broke up with someone and also the guy who died that we completely forgot about as we rode a sleigh home.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
"The last time the Doctor saw her she was a ghost. The first time he met her, she died. So how can he be seeing her again? As ever, with the most complicated relationship in the universe, it's a matter of time..."
It's almost like they'd have to involve time travelk of some sort. But who how?

River's also going to be in a Big Finish production with the Eighth Doctor, Paul McGann.

09philj said:
When was there ever not an overarching plot in the revived Who? Not series 5, with the Pandorica/the crack in the universe. Not series 4, with Donna/there's something on your back. Series 3 had the "You Are Not Alone" plot. Series Two built up Torchwood. And series one had the long game of "Bad Wolf." Before that, the show was largely serialised, so when was this time?

Creator002 said:
Fanghawk said:
Wasn't Night of the Doctor the one where the Eighth Doctor becomes the War Doctor? You might be thinking Name of The Doctor (which I first mistakenly posted as "Time of the Doctor" and fixed), but even then they didn't have the date she described. At least not the way I remember it, it has been a while.
"Night of the Doctor" was indeed the short where Paul McGann's Doctor "dies" and is given the option to choose his new form.

It was implied that Eleven had taken her on her last date. I forget when it was, but she mentions the Doctor is taking her to the Singing Spires, the place she referenced when she first met Ten. It may have been his going away tour in series 6.

thaluikhain said:
Goddamnit. Enough of her...and Clara already. And everything Moffatt does now that RTD isn't holding his leash, actually.
I don't get it. Most of the problems (or, at least, things people complain about) that exist under Moffat existed under Davies as well.

I mean, I do hate Clara, but she's basically Rose 2.0

Creator002

Aug 30, 2010
Fanghawk said:
Sorry, yes. You're 100% right. They had way too many "x of the Doctor" episodes towards series 7 end, so I mixed it up.
The name of the mini series is [a href=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Night_and_the_Doctor]Night and the Doctor[/a]. It's the second last episode (fourth).

Sorry, yes. You're 100% right. They had way too many "x of the Doctor" episodes towards series 7 end, so I mixed it up.
You don't see the actual date, but the Doctor is in the Tardis with a future version of himself and River, who thought it was their ride. River mentions the date by place (Singing Towers of Darillium) to the younger Doctor, who remembers as the place she said their last date was, and when she leaves, the two Doctors talk about the date and it being their last. The entire episode is shot within the Tardis. It's the last episode of the Name of the Doctor arc.

Boba Frag

Dec 11, 2009
Huh, I'm actually pleased to see that my Anti-Clara, Anti-River position is mirrored amongst the fans of Gallifrey's most errant son.

Cos...arrggghhhh.... I hate those awful, smug, self satisfied characters.

The poster who mentioned Moffat not being able to get a hint if it was in the form of a brick at his head was spot on.

I would literally let Omega back into realspace if it meant Mark Gatiss became showrunner.

Time to feck off, Moffat!

Kingjackl

Nov 18, 2009
I read this and though, "wait, did I miss the actual series?" No, turns out that's not out yet.

Otherwise, glad to hear it. I like River, even if she did get a bit overplayed in series 5-6, and I'm interested to see the chemistry she'll have with Capaldi's Doctor.

pookie101

Jul 5, 2015
shes one of my favourite characters in the show but now even she can make me endure capaldi's obnoxious doctor.

funny how i endured colin bakers asshat of a doctor but capaldi killed the show for me.

well i do hope it is an amazing episode for you guys who watch it still

Remus

Reprogrammed Spambot
Nov 24, 2012
Meh. If this is the last date, I'm game. Clara's only met River in cyberghost form. It'll be interesting for them to meet in the flesh since Clara too knows a bit about River's future.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
An excuse to put that beautiful woman in flattering clothes and have her saunter around all sexy like being a smoldering cougar? Why yes please. I am all for this in any fashion.

Orga777

Jan 2, 2008
Why do people like River Song? She is nothing more than a Mary Sue character. Actually, it will be great. Having her and Clara in the same episode by this point will cause such an influx of Mary Sue overload, it could potentially rip the fabric of reality apart itself. Seriously, both of these characters are so poorly written and conceived that if feels like Stephanie Meyer wrote them.