Help Is On The Way For European PSN Customers

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Help Is On The Way For European PSN Customers

Sony is working on an identity theft protection plan for its European customers similar to the one announced for the U.S. but says the process is taking longer because of all the individual countries involved.

PlayStation Network users in the U.S. got some good news [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/109812-Sony-CEO-Speaks-Out-on-PSN-Catastrophe] yesterday when Sony announced that they were eligible for one year of AllClear ID Plus identity theft protection at no charge. The plan includes $1 million of insurance against identity theft; what it doesn't include, however, is anything for customers outside the U.S. That did not go over particularly well with PSN customers in other parts of the world.

But have no fear! Sony is hard at work on something for its European customers too, it's just taking a little longer because it's a more complex situation. "As I have explained previously, creating a similar offering for the many countries within the SCEE [Sony Computer Entertainment Europe] region is a very complicated process," Nick Caplin, SCEE's head of communications, wrote on the European PlayStation Blog [http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2011/05/06/scee-identity-theft-protection-offering/]. "Each country has a different way of handling identity theft; some offer relatively sophisticated services whilst others are much more modest."

"We are currently in the process of identifying how we manage this situation and once the program is ready to launch, we will provide details of exactly which services are available in each country and explain how to sign up," he continued. "We hope to do this early next week."

SCEE will also offer PS3 customers two free games from a list of five, while PSP customers can choose two freebies out of a list of four. The list of games to choose from has not yet been revealed.

None of this should come as any surprise. There was never any chance that Sony would give its European customers [and, presumably, those in other regions] the short shrift; yes, the U.S. got to go first but as Caplin noted, it's one big region with the same laws across the board. It would be lovely if Sony could get every nation affected by the PSN outage squared away quickly and at the same time, but if there's anything we should know by now, it's that this mess is going to take some serious time to clean up.

rekabdarb

Jun 25, 2008
IS IT EVEN UP YET?!

who cares if people get protection... we still can't even get on yet.

binvjoh

Sep 27, 2010
Thank you, Sony.

I really hope things start looking up for you soon.

rekabdarb said:
IS IT EVEN UP YET?!

who cares if people get protection... we still can't even get on yet.
Your stupidity hurts my brain.

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
Hunh... a million dollars must be the popular number. Life lock offers the same (though strangely not if you live in New York. I certainly hope that this company covers new yorkers).

TilMorrow

Diabolical Party Member
Jul 7, 2010
Andy Chalk said:
SCEE will also offer PS3 customers two free games from a list of five, while PSP customers can choose two freebies out of a list of four. The list of games to choose from has not yet been revealed.
Bribe much?
"Here, have these two free games that are probably going to be from the list of least downloaded or everyone-already-has games that are also indie titles and not $60 games as compensation for not giving you full security. Come back to us when PSN comes back online. Please? [sub][sub]Also there are some new contracts that you have to agree to that restrict your rights and usuage on PSN and PSN has a subscription now to make back all the money we spent on your new security protection and on 'giving away' those 'great' games the majority of you will receive *cough* take.[/sub][/sub] Because we are Sony and we care about you and your wallet during this hard time."

Myrph

Proud owner of a Jamtroller
Oct 27, 2009
So does this mean people who own both PSP and PS3 consoles will get 4 free games, or is it limited to one or the other.

And what's the betting the free games will be out of the Minis collection...

Trag Oul

Aug 4, 2010
Are these free games only for europe or part of the previously announced stuff for the n/a psn? I'd much prefer this to a month of psn+

Norris IV

Aug 25, 2010
rekabdarb said:
IS IT EVEN UP YET?!
People need to really think about what they say before they say it

But on a seirous note thas good news, I love getting free shizz :)

NoDamnNames

Feb 25, 2009
Hmmmm being a Canadian it always seems support/warrenty/anything beneficial of any kind follows this path

USA - OMG HEER U GO! TAKE IT!
Europe - LLOl maybe
Canada - Cana-whut?

LetalisK

May 5, 2010
I'm going to be PISSED if I'm not eligible for this. I bought a PS3 right before the PSN went down and I hadn't made a PSN account yet. I really hope I'll still be eligible for all the goodies they're giving out. Anyone know?

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
Nile McMorrow said:
Andy Chalk said:
Bribe much?
"Here, have these two free games that are probably going to be from the list of least downloaded or everyone-already-has games that are also indie titles and not $60 games as compensation for not giving you full security. Come back to us when PSN comes back online. Please? [sub][sub]Also there are some new contracts that you have to agree to that restrict your rights and usuage on PSN and PSN has a subscription now to make back all the money we spent on your new security protection and on 'giving away' those 'great' games the majority of you will receive *cough* take.[/sub][/sub] Because we are Sony and we care about you and your wallet during this hard time."
After all this shit going on, can you really blame them? It's not like Sony are going to make their service even more open than it already was, this whole situation probably stopped consumer rights progress by 5 years.

Shirokurou

Mar 8, 2010
Can't they hook up a "dangerous network for unprotected intercourse" PSN for those who had no data worth losing?

Nexus4

Jul 13, 2010
rekabdarb said:
IS IT EVEN UP YET?!
THAT'S WHAT SHE SAID!!!

nah, OT: I'm glad that Sony is at least trying to help those who were affected, but what do we in Australia get?

MrGFunk

Oct 29, 2008
LetalisK said:
I'm going to be PISSED if I'm not eligible for this. I bought a PS3 right before the PSN went down and I hadn't made a PSN account yet. I really hope I'll still be eligible for all the goodies they're giving out. Anyone know?
It doesn't sound very likely. I would have thought you'd be considered a new user and therefore hadn't been affected by the PSN not being available.

I guess you could argue you'd wanted to open an account by couldn't but I don't know who'd you'd argue that with. Good luck though.