Help me enjoy Metroid Prime

ranger19

Nov 19, 2008
(This is a legitimate topic.)

So I've recently started seriously playing through the copy of the Metroid Prime Trilogy I picked up a while back, starting with the original Metroid Prime. Now, I've never been a huge fan of the Metroid games - I've been far too busy for so long that the time it takes to backtrack isn't something I can usually tolerate - but I've really enjoyed the (imo) underused FPS control scheme of the game.

So I've been having fun blasting my way through, and it's interesting to scan the environment and learn about the world there was and what happened to it. But I'm a decent way through right now - I have the spider-ball and the ice beam and have a handful of artifacts - and I'm just not sure the game is living up to its reputation for me. It's been wonderfully praised, but I simply don't feel like I'm having very much "fun" with it. I have so much energy (the game's version of HP) that I never really feel threatened by enemies, and bosses are more annoying than enjoyable.

And though I do enjoy learning about the world, I don't feel like I'm learning that much - sure, the world was plagued by a poison (I'm summarizing) and now it's gone, but that's that (so far), and you figure that out early on. In something like Bioshock, I feel like I learned a lot more about different parts of that world, even though it was a similar post-apocalyptic sort of world.

So.. thoughts? Do you escapists agree? Or am I missing something?

brendonnelly

Aug 11, 2009
Try playing on a higher difficulty (I feel bad now because I played on the lowest setting, and found some parts heaps hard). It definitely ramps up more later on (eg Omega Pirate). To really get the richness of the story, you have to read all the lore that you scan.

ranger19

Nov 19, 2008
brendonnelly said:
Try playing on a higher difficulty (I feel bad now because I played on the lowest setting, and found some parts heaps hard). It definitely ramps up more later on (eg Omega Pirate). To really get the richness of the story, you have to read all the lore that you scan.
I hadn't been aware there was a higher difficulty. x.x But given the huge potential distance between save spots, I can see more powerful enemies making a huge difference in gameplay. Now that I have ~400 energy, I can often just ignore enemies as I proceed back through rooms. The story, I am scanning everything and enjoying reading things... but I just feel like it's paling in comparison to, say, Bioshock. Maybe that's an unfair comparison, but I can't help it.

And don't feel bad. I have a friend who also had a very hard time with the game too. Playing it now after being bred on FPSs means I can effectively play without even locking on, but that would have been impossible if I played this game when it came up on gamecube.

May 5, 2010
Well, that's a stupid reason to make a thre-
ranger19 said:
Oh. Well, my mistake, then.

Seriously, if you're not enjoying it, you're not enjoying it. Surprise, surprise, not every game is for you. I don't see the problem here. Personally, I got sick of the game after a while, too. The difference is, I didn't think "Oh, I must be missing something", I thought "Damn, this game is boring" and moved on with my life.

The best advice I can give you is to do the same.

ranger19

Nov 19, 2008
believer258 said:
You've only got 400? Sheesh, by the time I had the spider-ball and stuff I was getting closer to 1000. At least I think so - I first played this game in 2003. Hard to remember.
Well, I think I might be at 500, and I am exploring everything, but I have no idea whether I'm doing it all in the right order. I get that the lack of direction is part of the whole adventuring thing, but once in a while I get incoming scan data and I try to get to the question mark and sometimes I have the tools to get in, and sometimes I don't. I'm not sure I understand how/when I get scan data, so that might actually be part of the problem.
OP: I also don't remember dying much at all. It's hard to explain, but the Metroid games have a lot more to do with exploring than hard enemies. Even the harder difficulty, which you can't unlock until the end of the game, isn't that hard.

Also, if you haven't learned much then are you reading and scanning everything? That's definitely not necessaary, but you have to read a good bit of that stuff to learn a whole lot about it. The rest of the story does pale in comparison to Bioshock's, but then every game's story pales in comparison to Bioshock's*.

You're not playing it wrong. You might be looking at it the wrong way (i.e. it isn't an fps! It's an action adventure game!) but even then I can't say anything about the lack of challenge. There isn't much of one. I'll still point to it as a perfect game, but that's because I don't play it for challenge. I play it because its world drags me in and holds me there for hours, even after a million playthroughs. Try putting the focus on exploring and not on shooting.

[sub]If you think that's Bioshock fanboyism then I wish you could have seen some of my posts outlining why Bioshock is far from a perfect game.[/sub]
Thanks for the great response otherwise. I am scanning everything I can find - and I am enjoying reading things, from the Chozo (I think) dreading the poison to the Space Pirates talking about their plans - but I guess I mean it just doesn't feel like enough compared to Bioshock. And the reason I'm comparing it, I guess, is that both games stand up on exploring the new world. I'm not critiquing Super Mario Galaxy for lack of a story to discover because that's not what it's trying to do or advertising. And Bioshock came later, so maybe of course it should be way better, but it's the only other game of it's type that immediately comes to mind. And I guess the world isn't pulling me in, but it just might not be my type of thing. I'm not sure.

Frozen Donkey Wheel2 said:
Well, that's a stupid reason to make a thre-
ranger19 said:
Oh. Well, my mistake, then.

Seriously, if you're not enjoying it, you're not enjoying it. Surprise, surprise, not every game is for you. I don't see the problem here. Personally, I got sick of the game after a while, too. The difference is, I didn't think "Oh, I must be missing something", I thought "Damn, this game is boring" and moved on with my life.

The best advice I can give you is to do the same.
Hey, I put that parenthetical statement in because I didn't want people to think I was senselessly bashing the game. :p But the reason I'm asking is it's a game I'm not enjoying that I know so many other people have enjoyed, so I want to be clear. Maybe it was "it gets better" or maybe it would have been "higher difficulty" or something like that, that's all. The first time I played Mass Effect I didn't understand the system and ended up frustrated and returning the rental; but the game had been so well-liked that I gave it a second chance, and once I came to understand how to battle effectively, the game came to be one of my all-time favorites. I'm glad I gave it a second chance, and that's my motivation behind understanding this game.

AyreonMaiden

Sep 24, 2010
Live in the moment with Metroid Prime. Scan, take your time, look around and explore. There isn't a huge plot to propel you, so it's really a lot more about exploring a world, its culture, and the nature of the threat that it's facing than it is about being surprised or at the edge of your seat with the plot.

I enjoyed it a lot more than I did Bioshock, personally, but if you don't like it I can understand how you'd want someone to explain to you why it's so highly rated. I'm experiencing the same thing with LA Noire right now, except I gave the hell up on it.

Stoic raptor

Jul 19, 2009
Since you are playing on the Wii, it might be better for you to play on a harder difficulty. I don't know if it is an option, but try to play it the original way, with a game cube controller or a classic controller even.

Also, like someone said, the game does get more and more exciting the farther you get into the game (until you are forced to find all the artifacts, but then it really ramps up from there).

Or maybe you are expecting too much from it. I think a lot of people got Metroid Prime not expecting much from it but were very surprised. I got it from a garage sale not even knowing the franchise and expecting it to be a cheap game, but it turned out to be awesome. While you are coming in expecting something amazing, but it is just a little less than you expected.

SEPECAT

Nov 15, 2010
will1182 said:
The only things remotely challenging in that game are Omega Pirate, Meta Ridley, getting through Phazon Mines and the final boss. Going by what you said, you haven't encountered any of those yet. Also, don't play the lowest difficulty if you are.

I thought the logs were really interesting and well thought out, but then again, I've played it 5+ times, so I've had time to understand it...

Are you rushing through it, perhaps? If you're not enjoying it then stop playing, but I wasn't able to truly appreciate it until it was finished. Maybe you're the same.
Yeah pretty much that. MP is my favorite game because of its scan visor and I think the space pirates (particularly the flying pirates) look really cool. And it's nice to see a game that mixes a correct understanding of evolution with sci fi alien stuff. And I loved its environments.

If you feel inclined to continue after this one, I'd say skip MP2. It's a clone of MP1 but with worse environments, a bad and contrived dual world system and silly plot, and only adds one new important character to the series. And if you've beaten MP1 already, you can probably hazard a guess as to where Dark Samus came from. Skip to MP3: Corruption, which introduced a lot of new elements and mixed the gameplay up a bit, especially with more combat against the pirates.

Also, do you know what the Metroid Prime is?

The Abhorrent

May 7, 2011
Metroid Prime is a rather different sort of game, particularly compared to many of the more fast-paced releases which have come out in recent years. The series as a whole has always had a more intellectual leaning, more often than not the challenges come from the puzzles rather than the combat; a huge chunk of the bosses in the series are puzzles themselves. Except Ridley, who's always there to rip you a new one just prior to the final area of the game.

Anyhow, the key point is that the Metroid series was never something that's innately appealing. Quick (& cheap) thrills are nowhere to be found, but there's almost always a distinct feel of satisfaction when you play the games. In retrospect, this is a bit unusual for me to say, but the Metroid series more or less demands that you earn your own fun; the series is a goldmine, but the player must be willing to invest in it to get anything much out of it.

And if you're craving a challenge in Metroid Prime, wait until you go through the gauntlet that is the Phazon Mines. There are two (mandatory) trips to the area, the first of which should be coming up very shortly. It's a long way in (with no save points until you reach your objective) for a power-up, and then you have to fight your way back out. The second trip is longer, as you're progressing into the deepest parts of the mine; this ends with an encounter with the Omega Pirate, who is one of the most challenging & best bosses in the game. Then there's Meta-Ridley, who is VERY fast for his size; the final boss isn't a slouch either. Unfortunately, Hard Mode isn't unlocked until you beat the game on normal.

ChromeAlchemist

Aug 21, 2008
Play MP2, then come back to us with a bucketful of tears. That game was work. Seriously if you want to be challenged then play that game, on hard if possible.

The thing is, it makes sense for an eight year old game that was universally praised to not live up to it's hype. I think just about everyone loved it. But the first game is much more about exploration and immersion than difficulty. But the other two games are harder, two being the hardest of the three.

Corruption is the most action oriented of the trilogy, just so you know.

ranger19

Nov 19, 2008
Thanks for all the responses, guys. I think actually every one since my last post has been informative/helpful, but it would be silly for me to like quote every one and say something along the lines of "oh cool, thanks". So I'll just pick out one or two things.
SEPECAT said:
If you feel inclined to continue after this one, I'd say skip MP2. It's a clone of MP1 but with worse environments, a bad and contrived dual world system and silly plot, and only adds one new important character to the series. And if you've beaten MP1 already, you can probably hazard a guess as to where Dark Samus came from. Skip to MP3: Corruption, which introduced a lot of new elements and mixed the gameplay up a bit, especially with more combat against the pirates.

Also, do you know what the Metroid Prime is?
I actually was already planning to skip MP 2 if I finish MP, simply because I couldn't see myself sitting through three full games like this in the near future, but I'm interested to see in how things changed in the bump to the next gen. (I figured it wouldn't be too hard to wiki the plot of MP2.)

In reference to that last question, no. I've never played a Metroid game (actually I played Metroid Prime: Hunters for DS, but that had almost no story). The metroids are the green transluscent things, the ones the pirates are talking about that suck energy from people, right? I had never really thought about it, but I remember reading that the space pirates were trying to use... phozon? phazon? to power up the metroids in hopes of using them as energy sources to basically rule the galaxy. So my guess would be that the metroid prime would be their success that became too powerful for them to handle. Which would maybe explain why there are barely any space pirates left considering how many it seems would need to be run to keep the place going.

Hm, maybe there is a little more to this game than I've given credit.

Cheesus333

Aug 20, 2008
AyreonMaiden said:
Live in the moment with Metroid Prime. Scan, take your time, look around and explore. There isn't a huge plot to propel you, so it's really a lot more about exploring a world, its culture, and the nature of the threat that it's facing than it is about being surprised or at the edge of your seat with the plot.

I enjoyed it a lot more than I did Bioshock, personally, but if you don't like it I can understand how you'd want someone to explain to you why it's so highly rated.
I concur with this, 100%. The thrill of Metroid Prime is in its atmosphere: it's the world around you bleeding out and dying, the creatures mutating into hideous monstrosities, the ancient and powerful culture that's been obliterated by a poison rooted in their own world.

And all that's yours to explore. Not one bit of information regarding Tallon IV's downfall is forced on you - you learn it if you want to learn it, and I think it's a story worth hearing.

If you can't get immersed though, then I think you will struggle to enjoy this game.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
#include alcohol

Repeat drinking
Until game_fun

Honestly can't make you like a game if it's not doing anything for you, don't think there is much story to be had it's just a fun adventure game.

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008
ranger19 said:
So I've recently started seriously playing through the copy of the Metroid Prime Trilogy I picked up a while back
Stop right there; seriously stop and step away from the Wii...actually set it on fire before you step away. We can't risk that it might chase you.

Go dig up your Gamecube, or if you don't have one go buy one for cheap on Ebay and get a copy of Metroid Prime for that console as well. I know this sounds crazy but; it's just not the same playing it on the Wii. Believe me I played it on the Gamecube and gave it a whirl on a friend of mine's Wii and it's just not the same as my Gamecube version.

Maybe it's the controller...yeah that might be a cheaper option, find or get an old Gamecube controller and plug that baby in instead of that stupid Wii-mote. I assure you it will be better instantly.

Still burn your Wii though when you're done, god help you if it evolves into a WiiU. Here take my lighter and this can of lighter fluid. *gives you items* God's speed brother.

*poof*

DigitalSushi

a gallardo? fine, I'll take it.
Dec 24, 2008
ChromeAlchemist said:
Play MP2, then come back to us with a bucketful of tears. That game was work. Seriously if you want to be challenged then play that game, on hard if possible.

The thing is, it makes sense for an eight year old game that was universally praised to not live up to it's hype. I think just about everyone loved it. But the first game is much more about exploration and immersion than difficulty. But the other two games are harder, two being the hardest of the three.

Corruption is the most action oriented of the trilogy, just so you know.
But missing out on MP2 echoes means missing out on QuadRaxis, the scariest transformer ever.

Ranorak

Tamer of the Coffee mug!
Feb 17, 2010
KeyMaster45 said:
ranger19 said:
So I've recently started seriously playing through the copy of the Metroid Prime Trilogy I picked up a while back
Stop right there; seriously stop and step away from the Wii...actually set it on fire before you step away. We can't risk that it might chase you.

Go dig up your Gamecube, or if you don't have one go buy one for cheap on Ebay and get a copy of Metroid Prime for that console as well. I know this sounds crazy but; it's just not the same playing it on the Wii. Believe me I played it on the Gamecube and gave it a whirl on a friend of mine's Wii and it's just not the same as my Gamecube version.

Maybe it's the controller...yeah that might be a cheaper option, find or get an old Gamecube controller and plug that baby in instead of that stupid Wii-mote. I assure you it will be better instantly.

Still burn your Wii though when you're done, god help you if it evolves into a WiiU. Here take my lighter and this can of lighter fluid. *gives you items* God's speed brother.

*poof*
Heh, funny thing these opinions.
I actually bought the trilogy after already owning all 3 separate games, BECAUSE I loved the controls on the wii more.

To date, I consider Metroid Prime (1&2) 3 to be the only game(s) that managed to use the wii-mote successfully.

OT:
The scanning isn't so much to tell a story, it's about making a setting.
The Pirate log that mentions that they are trying to copy The hunter's ball technique and it's consequences is still one of my favourite pieces of fluff out there.