Help me see into the mind of a guy.

mythgraven

No One Is Special
Mar 9, 2010
Chancie said:
Alright, I need your guys' opinion on something.

There's this guy in my college math class who's always staring at me. -snip-

So, I'm asking you guys because I don't really know how the male mind works with that sort of thing.

College age girl doesnt know how the male mind works?

Please forgive me if I go ahead and chalk this thread up a bait thread. Im sure there may be on in a thousand or so odd females outside the age range of highschool that dont know how males typically signal attraction, but I'm fairly certain that number drops BIG time if you frequent a site like the Escapist. I hope ego's have been fluffed appropriately, because that is very much what OP was after.

And on a side note... Just because you happen to be the largest visible object directly infront of a person, does not mean they are looking -AT- you. It means that you are taking up enough of their field of view that its hard to be 'caught' looking at anything else.

Vanity. Its a *****, isnt it?

Whiskey Echo!!
mythgraven

Citrus

Apr 25, 2008
Simply catching him staring at you isn't really enough to tell. Sometimes I catch myself staring at people I don't like, or people I don't know what to think of.

Staring means he's interested in you but it isn't necessarily a positive kind of interest. Staring can mean anything. He could just keep glancing at you at the wrong time (right before you look over at him). That's happened to me lots.

If you want a better idea of what he thinks of you, I'd suggest finding something to talk to him about.

Chancie

Sep 23, 2009
mythgraven said:
Chancie said:

So, I'm asking you guys because I don't really know how the male mind works with that sort of thing.

Please forgive me if I go ahead and chalk this thread up a bait thread. Im sure there may be on in a thousand or so odd females outside the age range of highschool that dont know how males typically signal attraction, but I'm fairly certain that number drops BIG time if you frequent a site like the Escapist. I hope ego's have been fluffed appropriately, because that is very much what OP was after.

And on a side note... Just because you happen to be the largest visible object directly infront of a person, does not mean they are looking -AT- you. It means that you are taking up enough of their field of view that its hard to be 'caught' looking at anything else.

Whiskey Echo!!
mythgraven
If it helps at all, it's my first semester of college and I've never really dated before. Happy now? So, no, not looking for an ego fluff. Thanks.

burningdragoon

Warrior without Weapons
Jul 27, 2009
Soylent Bacon said:
Just make sure the clock isn't on the other side of you or something.
Oh yes, the clock. I've been in a class where it may have looked like I was staring at someone, when the the clock was right behind them.

Unless he's actually looking at something else though, he definitely thinks you are at least worth looking at. That doesn't really mean anything beyond that though. His actual interest would have to depend on other factors, like if you actually know each other at all, or you speak up in class enough to let him know more than just your looks, stuff like that. The fact that he looks away when your eyes meet doesn't really mean much on its own either.

If he does have interest in you and you speak to him I don't think he'd be put off or anything. If he does I... well that'd just be weird I thinkl

FlyAwayAutumn

Rating: Negative Awesome
May 19, 2009
BonsaiK said:
I love it when I find a thread like this and the consensus of advice in it is generally pretty solid and I don't feel the need to add anything much.

I would have normally said "Go ask BonsaiK" but since he's already here there's no need for that.

So yeah I guess I basically have nothing to add.

SnipErlite

Aug 16, 2009
Chancie said:
If it helps at all, it's my first semester of college and I've never really dated before. Happy now? So, no, not looking for an ego fluff. Thanks.
Nonetheless, he most probably thinks you're cute. And he's probably shy if you've never had the chance for a proper conversation (mustering the courage to talk to pretty women is so, so difficult).

So take the initiative, and go say hi. See what happens :)

Good luck to you.

Mr Thin

Apr 4, 2010
Unless you look like the Creature from the Black Lagoon, he's clearly into you.

As for not 'jumping the gun', you're gonna have to, or wait for him to do it, unless you've found some magical way to read minds and know if he likes you before asking him out/being asked out.

And no, girls most certainly aren't the only ones who stare when they're interested.

The Seldom Seen Kid

Apr 28, 2010
I recommend helping him out a bit. Just say "hi".
He's probably too shy to make that first move.

Or maybe you just have a weird hairdo, and he never learned that staring wasn't polite.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Yeah, that sounds like something I would do if I were interested, and if he's anything at all like me he's probably too shy to approach you.

teh_spartan

ultimate pwnerer
Mar 29, 2009
2 reasons he is atracted to you because your hot or he is repulsed by you because your ugly (i say that in the nicest way possible. either way the only way to find out is to talk to him.

I JUST STATE THE FACTS!

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
Chancie said:
Here is how the male mind works...

Go to a mirror in a T-shirt.

Look at your chest and think "boobs..."

Congradulations, you have encountered 99% of what the human man thinks of when he sees a girl :p

Ok, in realality, yes, that guy has something for you, but is a little to shy/insincure to try for it. The ball (no pun intended) is in your court.

The_Echo

Mar 18, 2009
As a guy who looks at attractive girls longer than other girls, and even longer at attractive girls I like, I can tell you it's a safe bet that he's going "Oh, damn!" inside his head when he looks at you. That's the very least, of course.

Sakurazaki1023

Feb 15, 2010
Chancie said:
mythgraven said:
Chancie said:

Whiskey Echo!!
mythgraven
I was waiting for someone who has obviously been dating for some time to come into the conversation and completely miss the point...

I'm a college sophomore and have never dated in my life, so the position you and your classmate are in is very familiar territory for me.

Most of the people have made some pretty valid points and now it's up to you. If he really is that shy, the best thing you can do is take the first step.

Good Luck

00slash00

Dec 29, 2009
Chancie said:

There's this guy in my college math class who's always staring at me. We sit on opposite sides of the room, and I'm constantly catching him looking over at me. I'm one row behind him, on the opposite end. Unfortunately, I've never really had the chance to talk to him or anything like that.
Note, if it helps: Yes, he looks away when I look back. Dunno if that's a good or bad thing.

My sister is convinced he's got a thing for me. I'm not sure, and I don't want to try anything and sort of "jump the gun," so to speak.

So, I'm asking you guys because I don't really know how the male mind works with that sort of thing. Can staring really equal interest? I thought maybe it was only girls that did that, but I could be wrong...
Help me, please? :/
the fact that he looks away when you look back is a pretty big sign that he likes you but is shy

technoted

Nov 9, 2009
Unless you're hideously disfigured then he's probably attracted to how you look. Then again I probably wouldn't know because I'm always blunt and straight to the point with everything.

Gudrests

Mar 29, 2010
Men only have 2 feelings....Hungry and Horny...either way its a good thing...walk over to him sit down and say hi...if he has NO IDEA what to say...smile and just keep sitting next to him and casually ask him a question...and smile and giggle...he'll get the point..OR HIT HIM OVER THE HEAD and drag him back to your dorm and make his college life AMAZING!

Irony's Acolyte

Back from the Depths
Mar 9, 2010
Unless you have something really weird on you whenever you are in math class, I'm pretty sure that he's interested in you. Coming from a guy who never had the guts to ask the girls he was interested out (or even to really show any interest at all) I would say that if you don't mind maybe having a relationship with him, then strike up a conversation in with him. Let him know that the attention is welcome. I wouldn't be too up front about it. Depending on how shy he is, it might scare him off.

I don't really know what you should do if you aren't interested in him at all and since I'm somewhat sympathetic to his plight, at least let him down easy.

BlackStar42

Jan 23, 2010
Not G. Ivingname said:
Here is how the male mind works...

Go to a mirror in a T-shirt.

Look at your chest and think "boobs..."
99% might be pushing it. 80% is closer to the mark I'd say. Not getting caught takes up the other 19.99%.