Help me see into the mind of a guy.

SimuLord

Whom Gods Annoy
Aug 20, 2008
He's interested. And frightened out of his wits to ask you out. He might be on a web forum somewhere asking its denizens "There's this girl in my college math class, I think she might be interested but I'm afraid to ask her out HALP!"

You've got three choices:

1) Go take the initiative and ask him out. Might not be ladylike but he'll be putty in your hands.
2) Wait around for him to ask you out. Hope you're ready to wait until graduation.
3) Take a third option and go for a guy with more confidence.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Chancie said:
Alright, I need your guys' opinion on something.

There's this guy in my college math class who's always staring at me. We sit on opposite sides of the room, and I'm constantly catching him looking over at me. I'm one row behind him, on the opposite end. Unfortunately, I've never really had the chance to talk to him or anything like that.
Note, if it helps: Yes, he looks away when I look back. Dunno if that's a good or bad thing.

My sister is convinced he's got a thing for me. I'm not sure, and I don't want to try anything and sort of "jump the gun," so to speak.

So, I'm asking you guys because I don't really know how the male mind works with that sort of thing. Can staring really equal interest? I thought maybe it was only girls that did that, but I could be wrong...
Help me, please? :/
Either A: He thinks you're hawt, and wants to sleep with you, or B. He has a crush on you. These are, in fact, two different things. Or, he is just really easily distracted (doubtful, he he keeps looking at you specifically).

Go up and say "Hi! I don't think we've met!" If he goes all smooth and Casanova on you, it's probably situation A. If he reacts normally or slightly panicky, it's probably situation B.

dragonburner

Feb 21, 2009
Chancie said:

There's this guy in my college math class who's always staring at me. We sit on opposite sides of the room, and I'm constantly catching him looking over at me. I'm one row behind him, on the opposite end. Unfortunately, I've never really had the chance to talk to him or anything like that.
Note, if it helps: Yes, he looks away when I look back. Dunno if that's a good or bad thing.

My sister is convinced he's got a thing for me. I'm not sure, and I don't want to try anything and sort of "jump the gun," so to speak.

So, I'm asking you guys because I don't really know how the male mind works with that sort of thing. Can staring really equal interest? I thought maybe it was only girls that did that, but I could be wrong...
Yes. Staring does equal interest usually. Sometimes not, but the way you described it it sounds like it does mean interest.

GrimTuesday

May 21, 2009
Maybe he thinks you're hideous and, like a car wreck, he just can't look away... I never claimed to be helpful.

Spongebobdickpants

Oct 6, 2009
Kobie said:
If he can't man up and talk to you, then he likely has some serious self-esteem issues. And with those issues come other issues. Just consider yourself forewarned ...

But yeah, he's probably interested.
not really i like this girl and i dont have any serious problems :p other than that this crush would be social suicide to ask out/go after (she's a popular girl and im a bit of a nerd :p).i would say talk to him in a non awkward way e.g can a borrow you "x" and then you can see over time if he's descent.

Konaerix

May 19, 2010
What you have to realise is that males tend to think with their reproductive organs rather then their head...So based on what you said and my own personal experiance: I'd have to say yes, that guy has a thing for you. (Either that or he's just a weirdo)

LittleChone

May 17, 2010
Don't worry, guys do the stare thing as a meek sign of affection. That, or sexual interest.
I suggest speaking to him on a formal level.

Sonic Doctor

Time Lord / Whack-A-Newbie!
Jan 9, 2010
Plurralbles said:
invite him back to your dorm or home of any sort and see what happens.
As much I would like a girl to offer to spend time with me by asking such a thing, I would not recommend that Chancie to do that.

Seriously? She doesn't even know the guy, and you are asking her to invite the guy back to her place. I've never been in a relationship before, but I'm pretty sure in a proper relationship, the guy isn't invited in on the first meeting/date, heck you are actually recommending it before they go out on a date.

------

Chancie said:

Confront the guy, ask him what he is staring at. Chances are he likes you, I've done the same thing with girls I've been interested. I don't do it anymore, because every time I have gotten up the courage to ask a girl out, she has shot me down. My self-esteem is shot so I'm regrouping for the time being.

I would say he is shy, I know I am, because again I have been there. There is a small chance that the guy is a creep, just be cautious with what you say. If he is interested in you, and you aren't in a relationship, give him something that will give him hope, nothing big, just maybe offer to have lunch at the campus cafeteria or something like that. Then if you don't like him, tell him you are not interested, because then you will know him some from talking to him at the lunch meeting. It shows that you are the type of girl that doesn't turn people down just because of looks.

Over the past few years, every girl that I have asked out has said she is either in a relationship, married, or getting married. I feel even I couldn't be that unlucky with who I'm interested in.

What I am saying is, be honest, because that is what a guy truly wants to hear, the truth. I've heard many times that guys love the chase, the games that take place when trying to get with a girl. That is a lie. A proper guy just wants to get to know a girl before he gets into a relationship. For me, that comes before any thoughts of dating or anything else that could come after. Yes, I will look at a girl and think she is hot or whatever, but the most important thoughts for me are, does she have a nice personality or does she like anything I like.

Okay, I went a little overboard, but only because, if this guy is like me, a shy person, I sympathize with his problems.

lucky_sharm

Aug 27, 2009
feather240 said:
Why are people so shy?

Nomanslander said:
SL33TBL1ND said:
Strike up a conversation with him. If he acts all awkward, he's got a thing for you.
That or if he tries to show off, and the harder he tries, the more of the hopeless romantic he is.

I say if he does any, just point and start laughing at him, then call him a loser and leave.

Oh, and then the next day start flirting with the guy you find the most attracted to while the other guy watches....>=)
Oh wait...
I agree. If people didn't actually go around doing perversively cruel and twisted things like this then we would have quite a few less shy people like the person the OP mentioned.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
My guess would be

1) Yes, he's attracted to you,
2) He's probably has as little experience with the opposite sex as you describe, and
3) He feels, to some extent, that it's better not to seek your company than risk hurt feelings, rejection, and/or to look foolish in front of his peers.

If you want his attention (which I don't really think has been clarified), you would probably help allay his fears a lot if you learned his name and just said "Hello . How are you doing on the assignment?" (Or some such.)

Plazmatic

May 4, 2009
Chancie said:

Am i the only guy who noticed that the OP never stated HIS gender?

Mr Montmorency

Jun 29, 2010
Plazmatic said:
Chancie said:

She's a girl.

Sonic Doctor

Jan 9, 2010
Flimsii said:
Kobie said:
If he can't man up and talk to you, then he likely has some serious self-esteem issues. And with those issues come other issues. Just consider yourself forewarned ...

But yeah, he's probably interested.
not really i like this girl and i dont have any serious problems :p other than that this crush would be social suicide to ask out/go after (she's a popular girl and im a bit of a nerd :p).i would say talk to him in a non awkward way e.g can a borrow you "x" and then you can see over time if he's descent.
I would recommend something more than just burrowing something from the guy. If lending things to girls was a way to show them I'm a nice guy for dating, or that they were interested in getting to know me, than I should have had over 50 different girlfriends in the past 5 years, hundreds in my lifetime. I'm still at 0 girlfriends, only a few girls that are friends, not close either.

I say ask the guy what he is staring at, have a real talk with him. A real conversation with a guy will give enough information on what a guy is like, not just the conversation, his eyes will tell all, where he is lieing or a sleaze. The guy lending her something will tell her nothing. Even jerks or creeps let girls borrow things.

Naeo

Dec 31, 2008
This doesn't hold true for EVERY guy, but yeah, he's definitely interested in some way. At the very least he thinks you're quite the looker, probably.

Sonic Doctor

Jan 9, 2010
Plazmatic said:
Chancie said:

There is a thing called a profile, everyone here has one. If people don't state their gender in thread that requires people to know what gender they are, there is a good chance that they have it shown in their profile and that is why they didn't state it.

Bruin

Aug 16, 2010
NeutralDrow said:
Chancie said:
Can staring really equal interest? I thought maybe it was only girls that did that, but I could be wrong...
...very, very wrong. As in "I'm honestly astounded that you'd think that" wrong.

I mean, doesn't necessarily equal interest (you could just be very attractive), but I guess it's a possibility. I wouldn't think jumping the gun would be the problem, though I'm honestly not in a position to give any advice. And since I can't see the situation, I can't tell if this guy in question is creepy or shy.
Probably both.

Considering most guys just ogle women and don't really have any intentions of dating them--just gawking at them.

But he's a kid and from what she says he's not a creep and is just shy.

Whatever comes next is so self-explanatory; I feel like if I have to tell you what to do in that situation that it would mean very bad things for the continuation of our race.

Dags90

Oct 27, 2009
Naeo said:
This doesn't hold true for EVERY guy, but yeah, he's definitely interested in some way. At the very least he thinks you're quite the looker, probably.
That or the OP is monstrously overweight or disfigured and the guy is really staring out of morbid curiosity. I'd let the OP borrow my reciprocating saw so they could get a better look into his mind, but it's already on loan.