Help me with Baldurs gate 1

A Weakgeek

Feb 3, 2011
I know this isin´t really the place to ask for gameplay tips but i couldnt find much info for this.

So I'm in Chapter 3 and most of my characters are lvl 1-2 I find some enemies (like kobald commandos with their flaming arrows) really really strong, killing me in 1-3 hits. Am I horribly behind in levels? Am I supposed to do more grind? I have done some sidequests but not all of them. I haven't really done much since the start of chapter 3 since when I try to go into the tower place I get killed by a "combat nightmare" or something that i cant harm.

ThriKreen

May 26, 2006
Perhaps check the character sheets of your party and level them up? It's not automatic.

Alternatively, check if the area you're going into isn't for higher levels via GameFAQs. I recall later expansions added some areas (like a tower) for people looking for a super hard challenge.

Mariena

Sep 25, 2008
Tales of the Sword Coast added Durlag's tower, which is immediately accessible from the world map.

It is an end-game dungeon with really, really powerful enemies. I think a combat nightmare is a warrior with a flaming sword in enchanted fullplate.

I hope you didn't mean that tower.

JesterRaiin

Apr 14, 2009
A Weakgeek said:
I know this isin´t really the place to ask for gameplay tips but i couldnt find much info for this.

So I'm in Chapter 3 and most of my characters are lvl 1-2
(snip)
How did you end up in Chapter 3 with 1-2 level characters ? o_O

OT : Yeah, BG 1 is a cruel place for newcomers. No easy way here, level a little, find better gear, check if your party is balanced. You know the drill... :)

lRookiel

Lord of Infinite Grins
Jun 30, 2011
If your talking about THAT certain tower, then yeah, I'd turn round and see if you can get up a few levels and return with better gear or a more balanced party (MORE HEALING NEEDED)

Fat Hippo

Prepare to be Gnomed
Legacy
May 29, 2009
Yep, I'd recommend at least level 3 characters before the mines, level 4 would be better. Just wander around areas, killing all enemies and doing any sidequests you find. You'd be surprised how many little encounters most areas have to offer!

And yeah, stay away from that Tower until you're level 7 or so. Hardest dungeon in the game.

The game really picks up around levels 4-5, when enemies stop one-shotting you all the time. ;)

JesterRaiin

Apr 14, 2009
Fat_Hippo said:
The game really picks up around levels 4-5, when enemies stop one-shotting you all the time. ;)
Actualy, i remember that in times of D&D 2.0 (Baldur's Gate uses its mechanics) more experienced DMs allowed their players to start with exactly at least 3-4 level characters instead of inexperienced 1stlevellers. :D

lRookiel

Lord of Infinite Grins
Jun 30, 2011
Fat_Hippo said:
Oh god the bad memories of Nashkel mines, I'd be a level 2/3 mage or something, ambitious and ready for it since I had a full party. then suddenly BAM! I get killed by a single kobold archer Who just happened to target me! then have to go back to last save.... -.- fucking kobolds!

Fat Hippo

Prepare to be Gnomed
Legacy
May 29, 2009
lRookiel said:
Fat_Hippo said:
Oh god the bad memories of Nashkel mines, I'd be a level 2/3 mage or something, ambitious and ready for it since I had a full party. then suddenly BAM! I get killed by a single kobold archer Who just happened to target me! then have to go back to last save.... -.- fucking kobolds!
Hah, yeah. Mages are such archer bait in that game. You rest, 10 bandit archers or something spawn RIGHT ON TOP OF YOU, bam, mage dead...good times. You know, in a masochistic kind of way. ;)
JesterRaiin said:
Fat_Hippo said:
Actualy, i remember that in times of D&D 2.0 (Baldur's Gate uses its mechanics) more experienced DMs allowed their players to start with exactly at least 3-4 level characters instead of inexperienced 1stlevellers. :D
I've never played the old editions of Dnd, but this doesn't surprise me. Everything is just too random at that stage. One or two lucky hits and your whole party is fucked.

Also, another piece of advice for the OP: Get ranged weapons for everyone. Yes, giving a fighter a sling might seem strange, but ranged weapons are essential to early game BG, because it's the only way to reliably take down big enemies early on. You don't want your level 2 fighter, with half his health already gone, going to toe to toe with an ogre! Just give everyone a sling, bow, crossbow etc, release a volley, run away a bit, release another volley, rinse and repeat until ogre is dead. Cheap, yes, but you have no chance against those enemies otherwise. Or does someone here have a better strategy for this?

JesterRaiin

Apr 14, 2009
Fat_Hippo said:
JesterRaiin said:
Fat_Hippo said:
I've never played the old editions of Dnd, but this doesn't surprise me. Everything is just too random at that stage. One or two lucky hits and your whole party is fucked.
Naaah. There's no randomness.
Remember ? You're unexperienced, poorly equipped youngster thrown in the big world you doesn't know or understand. It's the jungle out there. :)

Mariena

Sep 25, 2008
I always found archers/rangers to be stupidly overpowered in BG1. Fighters in full plate die before they reach you, mages can't get a spell off because they get interrupted .. and if they do get something like mirror image up, you just fire a few more arrows and that's that.

But yeah, everyone with ranged weapons. Darts, slings and crossbows for the casters, short bows for thieves, long/composite bows for fighters and rangers..

I remember those level 1 fights with the assassins in the tutorial houses. Swinging at each other for 5 minutes until someone gets a hit in.. 1 damage! Hooray! He's nearly dead.

Fat Hippo

Prepare to be Gnomed
Legacy
May 29, 2009
JesterRaiin said:
Fat_Hippo said:
JesterRaiin said:
Fat_Hippo said:
Naaah. There's no randomness.
Remember ? You're unexperienced, poorly equipped youngster thrown in the big world you doesn't know or understand. It's the jungle out there. :)
Hah, that's a good point actually. Most adventurers die young, so why shouldn't you? Oldschool RPG's didn't care about balance anyway. "Balance THIS!" they said, and then made you play 'Tomb of Horrors' or something.
Okay, BG is never nearly THAT cruel, but it can still be a major *****.

JesterRaiin

Apr 14, 2009
Fat_Hippo said:
Hah, that's a good point actually. Most adventurers die young, so why shouldn't you? Oldschool RPG's didn't care about balance anyway. "Balance THIS!" they said, and then made you play 'Tomb of Horrors' or something.
Exactly. And isn't it marvelous to watch younger generation of players that started their cRPG career with Morrowind or WoW and think "people, you wouldn't make it past Candlekeep. You simply wouldn't make it..." ;D

Fat Hippo

Prepare to be Gnomed
Legacy
May 29, 2009
JesterRaiin said:
Fat_Hippo said:
Exactly. And isn't it marvelous to watch younger generation of players that started their cRPG career with Morrowind or WoW and think "people, you wouldn't make it past Candlekeep. You simply wouldn't make it..." ;D
I am actually sorta part of this 'younger generation' you speak of. ;)
But I started out with some pretty hardcore stuff. Baldur's Gate 2 was my second RPG, and therefore the standard by which I measure most other RPGS. And some of the tougher battles in that game make others seem like cakewalks in comparison, so I guess I'm just more used to taking punishment than many roleplayers my age.

JesterRaiin

Apr 14, 2009
Fat_Hippo said:
JesterRaiin said:
Fat_Hippo said:
I am actually sorta part of this 'younger generation' you speak of. ;)
But I started out with some pretty hardcore stuff. Baldur's Gate 2 was my second RPG, and therefore the standard by which I measure most other RPGS. And some of the tougher battles in that game make others seem like cakewalks in comparison, so I guess I'm just more used to taking punishment than many roleplayers my age.
(Damn, how to get out of this situation without ruining my image ?
Let's see, CHARISMA 5 equals lack of plausibility, tact and charm. Dammit !
STRENGTH 18/53, yea i could throw a quick one and get away i guess... Yet, this dual classed bartender-moderator guy out there looks suspiciously crafty...
Aha, INT 20. Roll, passed !).

I KNEW THAT ! HONEST ! 100% TROO ! ;)
More seriously.
I thought about "choice of titles"-generation , not "i was born then and then"-gen. For example it was last year that i finally managed to fall in love with Arcanum despite trying it a few times across last decade or so. :)

Fat Hippo

Prepare to be Gnomed
Legacy
May 29, 2009
JesterRaiin said:
STRENGTH 18/53, yea i could throw a quick one and get away i guess... Yet, this dual classed bartender-moderator guy out there looks suspiciously crafty...

More seriously.
I thought about "choice of titles"-generation , not "i was born then and then"-gen. For example it was last year that i finally managed to fall in love with Arcanum despite trying it a few times across last decade or so. :)
Weeeeeeeeellllllllllll, it IS hard to stay angry with someone who likes Arcanum, a definite soft spot of mine. It can be tough to get into, seeing as how the combat system is borderline broken and skills are not in the least bit balanced. Still, the setting is so unique and interesting, I'm prepared to forgive a lot of flaws.

Oh Troika games, you died too young!

Alright, the thread is now officially hijacked! Hand over your valuables, and no one gets hurt!

JesterRaiin

Apr 14, 2009
Fat_Hippo said:
JesterRaiin said:

More seriously.
Weeeeeeeeellllllllllll, it IS hard to stay angry with someone who likes Arcanum, a definite soft spot of mine. It can be tough to get into, seeing as how the combat system is borderline broken and skills are not in the least bit balanced. Still, the setting is so unique and interesting, I'm prepared to forgive a lot of flaws.

Alright, the thread is now officially hijacked! Hand over your valuables, and no one gets hurt!
Oh, high INT score, how do i love you ! ;)

On Arcanum : for long, long years i was repulsed by the UI. The transition from battles to normal gameplay was too fluid. The micromanagement was awful - my companions picked about every useless piece of trash they encountered. Some people seemed important (like Virgil), some weren't even despite being useful companions (for example this chick in one of villages who considered a medical sciences more important than traditional magic). The map was sooooooooo confusing - i couldn't understand why i can't cross mountains even if it seemed that there were numerous paths, and so on, and so on.

Then i said "aw hell" to myself, tried it once more and... there was magic ! Magic ! Honestly, i think that Arcanum has at least equally interesting scenario like Planescape:Torment. :)

Fat Hippo

Prepare to be Gnomed
Legacy
May 29, 2009
JesterRaiin said:
Fat_Hippo said:
JesterRaiin said:

More seriously.

Oh, high INT score, how do i love you ! ;)

On Arcanum : for long, long years i was repulsed by the UI. The transition from battles to normal gameplay was too fluid. The micromanagement was awful - my companions picked about every useless piece of trash they encountered. Some people seemed important (like Virgil), some weren't even despite being useful companions (for example this chick in one of villages who considered a medical sciences more important than traditional magic). The map was sooooooooo confusing - i couldn't understand why i can't cross mountains even if it seemed that there were numerous paths, and so on, and so on.

Then i said "aw hell" to myself, tried it once more and... there was magic ! Magic ! Honestly, i think that Arcanum has at least equally interesting scenario like Planescape:Torment. :)
Yeah, it's a game you have to give a chance. Especially because you can't even always see how amazingly reactive the game world is the first time you play it. Depending on race, gender, reputations, even your beauty stat, everyone will have a totally different reaction to you, depending on so many circumstances!

Also, you can play as someone so stupid he can barely talk (or idiot savant, a genius who can barely talk), with everyone in the game treating you accordingly. It takes balls for a developer to put THAT into a game, even though maybe 5% all of people playing it will ever know about it. Awesome features like that can elevate RPG's to a whole new level.

As for the combat: I try to ignore it as best I can. Picking up "Dog" in Ashbury helps, since he's ridiculously strong, without taking a companion space, and can tear apart stone golems with his teeth. That is one badass dog.

JesterRaiin

Apr 14, 2009
Fat_Hippo said:
Yeah, it's a game you have to give a chance. Especially because you can't even always see how amazingly reactive the game world is the first time you play it. Depending on race, gender, reputations, even your beauty stat, everyone will have a totally different reaction to you, depending on so many circumstances!

Also, you can play as someone so stupid he can barely talk (or idiot savant, a genius who can barely talk), with everyone in the game treating you accordingly. It takes balls for a developer to put THAT into a game, even though maybe 5% all of people playing it will ever know about it. Awesome features like that can elevate RPG's to a whole new level.

As for the combat: I try to ignore it as best I can. Picking up "Dog" in Ashbury helps, since he's ridiculously strong, without taking a companion space, and can tear apart stone golems with his teeth. That is one badass dog.
Damn right !
I gave Arcanum plenty of chances and finally it overcame every bias i had. I guess it's hooray for team "patience" ! :)

Unfortunately i missed the opportunity to recruit the dog. I wasn't aware about this possibility since i try not to read solution, or walkthroughs before playing a little. But no matter, there are so many colorful characters out there.

For example, i remember this fellow fulfilling the shoes of "the great white hunter" (Payne). Damn, it was fun to follow his steps, listen to stories about his deeds and finally meeting and recruiting him. :)

Skyrim's characters seem 2-dimensional at best when compared to such NPCs. :D
Damn, almost every other game characters pale in comparison to Arcanum's troupe...

And yeah, it was very challenging to do it that way. In Mass Effect all tension is meaningless, it disappears when Cmdr. Sheppard does his silvertongued magic.
In Arcanum some people won't go along, ever. There will be no truce, it's obvious they'll tear each other apart when this "save the world" adventure will end. Yummy. :)

Mariena

Sep 25, 2008
I guess our brave adventurer was consumed in Durlag's Tower and never heard from again.

The realms call, and you go.. He sounded a fine lad, taken too soon, but doing what he was meant.

Poor A Weakgeek. :(