Help me with Baldurs gate 1

PureIrony

Slightly Sarcastic At All Times
Aug 12, 2010
Yeah, I'm currently in the roughly the same position.

Here are some things I've learned on how to survive in that game:
Save often.
Unless you're in a locked room, everyone should be equipped with a ranged weapon. It makes so many fights piss-easy.
Never do anything in real time. Ever.
The rest key is your best friend. And you will abuse his stupid ass.
Don't bother with spells that do anything but heal and deal damage until you're at least midlevel.
Everytime you cross a bridge or open door, check for traps first.

Seriously, I barely just got out of that place. And when you exit that dungeon, do not go north.

Fat Hippo

Prepare to be Gnomed
Legacy
May 29, 2009
PureIrony said:
Seriously, I barely just got out of that place. And when you exit that dungeon, do not go north.
What are you talking about? That's a fun encounter! ;) (if I'm thinking of the right battle, that is)

Okay, it's pretty tough, but assuming you can handle it, also a nice bundle of experience and loot. NOT doing this kind of stuff is just gonna make the game harder later on. I don't know what level your guys are and on what difficulty you're playing, but a full level 3-4 party on normal should be able to handle them. Just concentrate on killing the spellcasters as fast as possible, like by having everyone shoot a volley of projectiles and also a magic missile at their mage, first thing. Then, with a few potions, the fighters shouldn't be a problem.
Also, don't be afraid to use things like potions of defense and heroism, it's a great way to keep characters with low (or high, you know what I mean) AC alive.

Mariena

Sep 25, 2008
PureIrony said:

Save often.
Unless you're in a locked room, everyone should be equipped with a ranged weapon. It makes so many fights piss-easy.
Don't bother with spells that do anything but heal and deal damage until you're at least midlevel.

Do go north, those amazon ladies have got lotsa cool loot. If you're really afraid, you can always just.. eh.. exploit.. a bit. Imoen with Hide in Shadows can just sit on the border of their Line of Sight, fire an arrow at them and that will pull two, or if you're lucky, just one.

=P

Fat Hippo

Prepare to be Gnomed
Legacy
May 29, 2009
Mariena said:
PureIrony said:

Save often.

Do go north, those amazon ladies have got lotsa cool loot. If you're really afraid, you can always just.. eh.. exploit.. a bit. Imoen with Hide in Shadows can just sit on the border of their Line of Sight, fire an arrow at them and that will pull two, or if you're lucky, just one.

=P
Hah, yeah, I love the Infinity Engine games, but man, it is so easy to cheat, especially when it comes to line of sight!

Also, didn't BG1 not have a limit to the amount of monsters you could have summoned? Wand of Monster Summoning, anyone. Awwwwww yeah! And there were loads of other items (crazy potions and arrows) that were just too absurdly powerful anyway. Too bad BG2 got rid of most of them. :(

Mariena

Sep 25, 2008
Yeah, BG2 had a limit, but BG1 didnt. I used to cheat lots of wands/scrolls for fun and then spawn big bad enemies who get pummeled by hordes of Gnolls, and such.